Marine reunites with wounded warriors for promotion
Create Post

Exclamation Marine reunites with wounded warriors for promotion

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. — Although tragic, it’s true that in time of war, casualties occur. Col. Grant Olbrich’s duty in this aspect of war was to aid our wounded warriors.

Olbrich was the officer in charge of the patient affairs team under Wounded Warrior Battalion-East at the Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio from 2005 to 2008. During his tour of duty, he met and became very close with Marines wounded during Operations Iraqi and Enduring Freedom and the families of those Marines.

Olbrich was promoted to the rank of colonel Jan. 15, 2009, at the WWBn-E aboard Camp Lejeune. Two wounded warriors with whom he had developed a close connection with in the burn center at BAMC pinned on his new rank.

Staff Sgt. Shemandre Jackson and Cpl. Christopher Gray were injured Feb. 17, 2007 in Fallujah when their tank was hit by two rocket-propelled grenades. They were treated for their injuries at the San Antonio Burn Center at BAMC.

After his promotion, Olbrich shared his memories of the time he spent at BAMC.

“Most times, just as important as the medical treatment you all were receiving was the comfort you had from your families, who stayed by your sides. The strength all the spouses have to stay with their wounded day in and day out is amazing.”

Almost 200 wounded Marines and their families went through BAMC during Olbrich’s tour. He and his patient affairs team dedicated most of their time to one-on-one visits with the Marines.

“It became very personal, and I grew close with their families,” said Olbrich. “It came to a point where rank almost didn’t matter, because when you learn someone’s deep worries in intimate detail, rank falls to the wayside.”

Olbrich is now deployed with II Marine Expeditionary Force (Forward) in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom, but he will never forget his three years at BAMC.

“I have seen the dedication you all have to your country, and that has made this a very inspirational tour. That job got me the rank I wear today, and the people I worked with made it easy to come to work every day.”

For more information on II MEF (Fwd), visit the unit’s web site at http://www.iimefpublic.usmc.mil/iimeffwd, and to learn about the ongoing mission in Iraq, go to http://www.mnfwest.usmc.mil.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	090115-M-0590P-001.jpg‎
Views:	252
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	6717  

Thread Information