prior service retread - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by badass79cj5 View Post
    are you going to try and go back the same mos you left with? the reason i ask is i dont really want to go back the same mos i left with but then again i dont really like the idea of leaving it up to a top 5 wish list either.

id say the main reason i got out was thinking there was gonna be big dollar signs in the civilian world that would provide everything i would need but was i ever wrong. here i am married almost 2 years with my current wife and combined we have 6 kids and the only thing i ever really think about that would be a "cure all" is to go back in the Marines. what i miss the most is definately the camaraderie, there isnt anyone in the world i trust more then Marines, it will provide me with a job that i cant get laid off from with steady income and full benefits for my platoon plus ill start back into my retirement. 99% of the time i wish i wouldnt have ever got out but then again who knows where i would be right now if i wouldnt have. i feel like im 100% more mature then i was when i was first enlisted and im twice as smart. just never realized how good i had it then but i do realize it now.

I would be interested in keeping the same MOS but I would also be looking at MP and maybe 1 or 2 others.

Like you, I also was looking at the $$$ in the 1st Civ Div in IT and even though it is there, I still feel like something important is missing. The MARINES gave me allot of what I wanted and if I had stayed in and had not made the ultimate sacrifice for my country, I would be able to retire this year. Mannn, the years are just flying by right now and a steady job, the benefits, wearing the uniform, being around other crazy MARINES and having a great time and looking at retirement in the yrs to come looks and sounds great. I still have a few good friends but not like I did while I was in the Corps. Besides some of the females I've met over the yrs, looking back on life, being in the MARINES were some of my Best Years!!!

You are definitely right about the maturity level and along with that, we are now able to make better decisions for ourselves and our families and right now, the MARINES is still floating at the top of my list, and apparently, allot of others as well.

From what I know, We only live once, why not live life as a US MARINE and enjoy it without the constant.....WHAT IF ????

I'm thinking like Nike and...Just Do It again!! My love is still there, its constantly on my mind. I miss the Corps. It's time to Re-Up !!

1) you would submit your package as a SNCO just as I have... though a board of 0-6 (+) and E-8 (+) will determine you rank upon re-enlistment.

2) 48 months is the min. for prior service re-enlistment contracts... waivers are possible but as you know, case by case basis. (per the order for those recruiters out there....)

3) you can lat move, but it may be more difficult depending on how full that MOS is... if you have civilian job experience you will have a better shot at a lat move since you won't cost them money to send you to the school... possibly an OJT thing??

4) I "requested" the west coast, my Monitor said it's do-able... just call him when my package goes through.... so again, needs of the Corps... your Monitor is the best guys to ask for that question.

5) you would get yor full clothing allowance which is something like 550+ dollars... and depending on circumstances you may be eligable for an initial gear issue allowance.... though I can't be sure if you can or not... I don't know the circumstances... I'd say you can get a majority of your cammies and uniform fixes for with-in the 550+.... though I wouldn't get more than one set of cammies until you get your first paycheck.... your service uniform is top priority since you have to check in with it... then aim for a set of new cammies each (approx. 90 a set with cover) and you should be set. (run on sentences rule!)

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    1) you would submit your package as a SNCO just as I have... though a board of 0-6 (+) and E-8 (+) will determine you rank upon re-enlistment.

2) 48 months is the min. for prior service re-enlistment contracts... waivers are possible but as you know, case by case basis. (per the order for those recruiters out there....)

3) you can lat move, but it may be more difficult depending on how full that MOS is... if you have civilian job experience you will have a better shot at a lat move since you won't cost them money to send you to the school... possibly an OJT thing??

4) I "requested" the west coast, my Monitor said it's do-able... just call him when my package goes through.... so again, needs of the Corps... your Monitor is the best guys to ask for that question.

5) you would get yor full clothing allowance which is something like 550+ dollars... and depending on circumstances you may be eligable for an initial gear issue allowance.... though I can't be sure if you can or not... I don't know the circumstances... I'd say you can get a majority of your cammies and uniform fixes for with-in the 550+.... though I wouldn't get more than one set of cammies until you get your first paycheck.... your service uniform is top priority since you have to check in with it... then aim for a set of new cammies each (approx. 90 a set with cover) and you should be set. (run on sentences rule!)

OK, Thanks SSgt Petzold

Quote Originally Posted by JMoe View Post
    I would be interested in keeping the same MOS but I would also be looking at MP and maybe 1 or 2 others.

Like you, I also was looking at the $$$ in the 1st Civ Div in IT and even though it is there, I still feel like something important is missing. The MARINES gave me allot of what I wanted and if I had stayed in and had not made the ultimate sacrifice for my country, I would be able to retire this year. Mannn, the years are just flying by right now and a steady job, the benefits, wearing the uniform, being around other crazy MARINES and having a great time and looking at retirement in the yrs to come looks and sounds great. I still have a few good friends but not like I did while I was in the Corps. Besides some of the females I've met over the yrs, looking back on life, being in the MARINES were some of my Best Years!!!

You are definitely right about the maturity level and along with that, we are now able to make better decisions for ourselves and our families and right now, the MARINES is still floating at the top of my list, and apparently, allot of others as well.

From what I know, We only live once, why not live life as a US MARINE and enjoy it without the constant.....WHAT IF ????

I'm thinking like Nike and...Just Do It again!! My love is still there, its constantly on my mind. I miss the Corps. It's time to Re-Up !!
    AGREED!

so i bought a scale, im 221.8lbs, ive lost just over half a pound so far which sucks since its been a week but since muscle weighs more then fat i guess its gonna take a little bit to slim down. this will be the first time ive ever had to cut weight for anything in my life so its all new to me. im trying to do it the right way by still eating healthy and not starving myself so its gonna take a bit

i was reading about saunas and there is alot of contradicting info, seems like it all depends on who you ask on if it really helps or not. alot of people say its just water weight so the weight you sweat out you put right back on once you fully rehydrate. alot of other people say that you are sweating out alot of the bad stuff your body doesnt want or need so its not gonna come back. anyone have any big experience with saunas?

its only been a week of running but im thinking im over doing it, reason is i have extreme pain in my shins (shin splints) so ive decided to cut back to running every other day and on the off days im gonna take the jeep out to some hills and walk up them till i can get over the shin splints. ive also read some conflicting info on them as well, some people say that its from overdoing it and you need to let your legs heal, others say that the more you run the faster youll get over the shin splints. anyone got any personal experience with shin splints? my shins hurt insanely bad after i run, it feels like someone has electricity hooked straight to my shin bone and the volts are turned up once i put pressure on them. ive never had this problem before so im pretty sure its directly related to not pt'ing in 3 years and also carrying around an additional 40-50 lbs.

regardless of my problems im still marching on and im going to try and get back in, its just not gonna be as fast as i wanted.

AGREED!

so i bought a scale, im 221.8lbs, ive lost just over half a pound so far which sucks since its been a week but since muscle weighs more then fat i guess its gonna take a little bit to slim down. this will be the first time ive ever had to cut weight for anything in my life so its all new to me. im trying to do it the right way by still eating healthy and not starving myself so its gonna take a bit

i was reading about saunas and there is alot of contradicting info, seems like it all depends on who you ask on if it really helps or not. alot of people say its just water weight so the weight you sweat out you put right back on once you fully rehydrate. alot of other people say that you are sweating out alot of the bad stuff your body doesnt want or need so its not gonna come back. anyone have any big experience with saunas?

its only been a week of running but im thinking im over doing it, reason is i have extreme pain in my shins (shin splints) so ive decided to cut back to running every other day and on the off days im gonna take the jeep out to some hills and walk up them till i can get over the shin splints. ive also read some conflicting info on them as well, some people say that its from overdoing it and you need to let your legs heal, others say that the more you run the faster youll get over the shin splints. anyone got any personal experience with shin splints? my shins hurt insanely bad after i run, it feels like someone has electricity hooked straight to my shin bone and the volts are turned up once i put pressure on them. ive never had this problem before so im pretty sure its directly related to not pt'ing in 3 years and also carrying around an additional 40-50 lbs.

regardless of my problems im still marching on and im going to try and get back in, its just not gonna be as fast as i wanted.

Badass,
    Definitely take a break from running for about 2 weeks, if not, you will not want to run anymore bcuz of the pain.

I had shin splints for a bit also, and i bought some Dr. Scholl's massaging gel heel cups (2 to 3 pair) and also did the following.
    Wear the gel heel cups in your work shoes, walking shoes, church shoes, running shoes, EVERYDAY !!
    Stretch your legs and calf muscles before you do any running
    Ice your shins 2 times a day
    Begin doing exercises for your shin muscles everyday. Keep the heels of your feet planted on the ground and begin raising your toes and balls of your feet up off the ground over and over. Kinda like patting your feet over and over again. You will begin to feel the burn but keep going. Do this everyday and then ice the shins.
    Do not run for 2 days but stretch and ice your shins
    Then on the 3rd day, stretch, do some fast walking and ice your shins afterwards
    Rest for 1 day and stretch and ice your shins
    Then go for a run but no more than 2 miles, stretch and ice shins
    Then take a day off, stretch and ice shins
    Then run for next 2 days straight, nice slow jog for about 1 or 2 miles only and ice
    Then slowly build back up to where u r comfortable running again

Tips for Running and getting back into shape:

Do more sprints than distance running.
    For every mile you run, you should sprint at least 1/4 to 1/2 mile when trying to get back into shape
    After you can run the mile in under 7 or 8 minutes or whatever you are striving for, then increase your mileage to 3 or 4 miles but keep incorporating sprints into your workout at least 2 times a week...this will help greatly.

Badass,
    Definitely take a break from running for about 2 weeks, if not, you will not want to run anymore bcuz of the pain.

I had shin splints for a bit also, and i bought some Dr. Scholl's massaging gel heel cups (2 to 3 pair) and also did the following.
    Wear the gel heel cups in your work shoes, walking shoes, church shoes, running shoes, EVERYDAY !!
    Stretch your legs and calf muscles before you do any running
    Ice your shins 2 times a day
    Begin doing exercises for your shin muscles everyday. Keep the heels of your feet planted on the ground and begin raising your toes and balls of your feet up off the ground over and over. Kinda like patting your feet over and over again. You will begin to feel the burn but keep going. Do this everyday and then ice the shins.
    Do not run for 2 days but stretch and ice your shins
    Then on the 3rd day, stretch, do some fast walking and ice your shins afterwards
    Rest for 1 day and stretch and ice your shins
    Then go for a run but no more than 2 miles, stretch and ice shins
    Then take a day off, stretch and ice shins
    Then run for next 2 days straight, nice slow jog for about 1 or 2 miles only and ice
    Then slowly build back up to where u r comfortable running again

Tips for Running and getting back into shape:

Do more sprints than distance running.
    For every mile you run, you should sprint at least 1/4 to 1/2 mile when trying to get back into shape
    After you can run the mile in under 7 or 8 minutes or whatever you are striving for, then increase your mileage to 3 or 4 miles but keep incorporating sprints into your workout at least 2 times a week...this will help greatly.
    good information. ill give it a shot, ive never had shin splints before but they are seriously painful.

i looked up online what type of shoes i have and the ones i have been running in are labeled as hiking shoes, could that be adding to the shin splints?

took the jeep out today since i am taking a break from running and went hiking up some mountains in the area. it was pretty sweet. got my heart rate up just as high as me me running as well as my breathing. the up-side to it all is it wasnt painful on my shins, it actually felt really good like i was working them just not painful so im gonna try doing that till the shin splints go away and i can get back to running.

go for it.

New Marines aren't that bad. Some are, sure. More and more people are getting pushed through, but believe me any pathetics are getting squashed as they hit the fleet.

er

good information. ill give it a shot, ive never had shin splints before but they are seriously painful.

i looked up online what type of shoes i have and the ones i have been running in are labeled as hiking shoes, could that be adding to the shin splints?

took the jeep out today since i am taking a break from running and went hiking up some mountains in the area. it was pretty sweet. got my heart rate up just as high as me me running as well as my breathing. the up-side to it all is it wasnt painful on my shins, it actually felt really good like i was working them just not painful so im gonna try doing that till the shin splints go away and i can get back to running.

Badass,

You need to get some Running shoes. They will cost you about $100 dollars or maybe a little more but they are worth it..

See if they have a shoe store in your town/area called Fleet Feet. They actually have u try on the shoes, watch you run and let you know which shoes are the best for you based on your running style. If they don't have a Fleet Feet store around, I would suggest you buy a really good pair of running shoes. It will cost you $$$$, but it is definitely worth it.

no offense whatsoever staff sargent but when i looked at your profile and saw that you are a 27 year old ssgt that made me wanna kick myself in the face, i should have never got out.

whats your mos, does it promote fast?

Quote Originally Posted by Seyborg View Post
    go for it.

New Marines aren't that bad. Some are, sure. More and more people are getting pushed through, but believe me any pathetics are getting squashed as they hit the fleet.

er
    ya i honestly cant see how Marines could have changed that much since ive been in but what do i know ive been out for 5 years. i did find it funny though when my recruiter was tellin me that they dont make Marines like they used to refering to the Marine he has on recruiters assistance that is straight out of boot camp. i asked the staff sargent when he joined and he says 99 so i said hum how weird is that i joined in 98.

its just a huge wake up realizing that i could be a staff sargent by now if i wouldnt have ever got out but whatever

Badass,

You need to get some Running shoes. They will cost you about $100 dollars or maybe a little more but they are worth it..

See if they have a shoe store in your town/area called Fleet Feet. They actually have u try on the shoes, watch you run and let you know which shoes are the best for you based on your running style. If they don't have a Fleet Feet store around, I would suggest you buy a really good pair of running shoes. It will cost you $$$$, but it is definitely worth it.
    thanks staff sargent, i just looked up fleet feet and it looks like they are all up around san fransisco here in california which is about 6 hours north of me, ill look into it further though and see if there are any other similar stores in my area. i did read that if you are serious about running then having a shoe store watch you while you run so they can tell you exactly which shoe you need for your style is the only way to go. i like the idea of going that route alot more then just buying another set of shoes that i think are gonna work good for me.

no offense whatsoever staff sargent but when i looked at your profile and saw that you are a 27 year old ssgt that made me wanna kick myself in the face, i should have never got out.

whats your mos, does it promote fast?

well, my thread that was intended for the specific questions for SNCOs getting back in was merged with this thread.... for what reason is un-known.. I'll have to tell the MODs there are differences to getting back in as a SNCO.

as for you kicking yourself in the face... The Marine Corps didn't teach you to be a quitter.... go for it.

My MOS is 3521, it doesn't promote fast it took me 7 1/2 years to get this which happens to be average for all post 9/11 MOSs if not slightly slow... I'm on an average promotion time-frame in the Corps.... unfortunatly I MAY lose a grade getting back on active duty... don't know until the board makes it decission... and then after that the entire Promotion cycle will be bogged down due to so many staying in... it's gonna hurt the junior Marines getting in now who will be forced out because they can't pick up Sgt or even worse Cpl.... I'm thinking it's going to get ugly.

well, my thread that was intended for the specific questions for SNCOs getting back in was merged with this thread.... for what reason is un-known.. I'll have to tell the MODs there are differences to getting back in as a SNCO.

as for you kicking yourself in the face... The Marine Corps didn't teach you to be a quitter.... go for it.

My MOS is 3521, it doesn't promote fast it took me 7 1/2 years to get this which happens to be average for all post 9/11 MOSs if not slightly slow... I'm on an average promotion time-frame in the Corps.... unfortunatly I MAY lose a grade getting back on active duty... don't know until the board makes it decission... and then after that the entire Promotion cycle will be bogged down due to so many staying in... it's gonna hurt the junior Marines getting in now who will be forced out because they can't pick up Sgt or even worse Cpl.... I'm thinking it's going to get ugly.

SSgt Petzold,

From your current knowledge, does it look/seem as if the Corps still would be interested in taking us SNCO's back for enlistment again since there are allot of first time enlistments?

Also, is there anyway of knowing what the current boatspaces are and where they may be located for an MOS? I know the monitors have all the info!!

Thanks

yeah I think they would... I'm to understand that they see a lot of senior Marines getting out soon so they are taking on SNCOs... Staff Sergeants to be more specific from my comprehension of the conversation... in to bridge that gap that will happen.

my monitor even told me that we are heavy on SNCOs currently.... but they are still taking people.

I'm not concentrating very well right now, so I hope this helped answer your question.

yeah I think they would... I'm to understand that they see a lot of senior Marines getting out soon so they are taking on SNCOs... Staff Sergeants to be more specific from my comprehension of the conversation... in to bridge that gap that will happen.

my monitor even told me that we are heavy on SNCOs currently.... but they are still taking people.

I'm not concentrating very well right now, so I hope this helped answer your question.

Ok..Thanks SSgt. I was just wanting to know, kinda curious

Thread Information