Going all out on PFT - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Our first few PT's consisted of running around a track, and doing stations every time we ran around. Every PT after that was switched between a PFT, and the stations. Your Final PFT is the one that counts. Its done I believe right before the crucable.

Just keep running, its the only way to get better. I couldn't pass the 3 mile the fist time at bootcamp, and everytime from there they just kept getting better and better until I ran a few 20:30's in MOS school.

Yes. When I first started several weeks ago I could barely make it a mile and now I can make it 2 miles at a fairly good pace. But like I said it is hard to get out and run on pavement in MN this time of year so I have been running on a treadmill. We will have to see how that translates into pavement running. I am deffinately capable of improving and I will.

Marine Free Member Matt Brzycki's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGoldCal View Post
    So I know the PFT consists of 3 events (pull ups, sit ups, and a 3mile run) but I am wondering if it would be wise for a recruit to go all out and try and score a 100 or something to that effect or just go for above minimum.

I am not a fatbody, but I have always had trouble running long distances and I think a the mile time will hamper my ability to have a good PFT score. So my question summed up is, should I go all out and burn out everything I have on the PFT or just do the best I can (which I planned on doing).

Thank you
    I guess I'm a little confused by this question as well.

Should you "just go for above minimum"? What kinda attitude/approach is that? We're talkin about the Marine Corps, here, right? This ain't another branch of the military. Marines should NOT "just go for above minimum." "Back in the day," we referred to that as "sandbagging." If you can do 9 pull-ups, do NOT stop at 8. In fact, once you get 9, try 10.

Same with lifting weights. Why stop at 8 reps in an exercise if you can get 9? Why lift 100 pounds when you can do 105?

Stopping short of going all-out or whatever you wanna call it is just a terrible attitude. The planet is full of people who simply do the minimum or just enough to get by. We don't need any more sandbaggers. Especially in the Marine Corps.

My two cents.

Matt Brzycki
    Sergeant (1975-79)

Quote Originally Posted by Jfriesner View Post
    Yes. When I first started several weeks ago I could barely make it a mile and now I can make it 2 miles at a fairly good pace. But like I said it is hard to get out and run on pavement in MN this time of year so I have been running on a treadmill. We will have to see how that translates into pavement running. I am deffinately capable of improving and I will.
    Minnesota? I would kill to have all the running trails you guy's have available. I have family in Minnesota so I know for a fact in many parts of it you can step outside your back gate and be on a running trail. Take advantage of those if you have them, if not go to a track or something. Most of all quit making excuses not to go out and run.

Perhaps you meant Montana though, either case go run.

lol. no I meant MN. Yes we have tons of trails. The problem isn't having a place to run, its the enviroment. Very diffifult to run on a trail covered in 14" of snow. So I have to run on roads which is fine except that it hasn't gotten above a few degrees for several weeks now, with the exception of a couple days. It is really difficult to run in that kind of weather. So I go to the gym here at the college and run on a treadmill. I am in great physical shape I am just not a long distance runner, yet.

I suggest getting a mp3 player, putting on some "eye of the tiger" and going and running in that snow. Hell if it were me I'd be all up in that, running in the snow should make you an excellent runner. I often go to the beach here in San Diego and run in the sand for 3 or 4 miles. Just set a distance you want to go, say to a certain point. Time yourself every time and continually try to beat your last time by at least five seconds, believe me that'll give you the workout of your life. Obviously take a day or two off in between.

Hey but if the treadmill is your thing than by all means, I just think you'd be surprised at the kind of improvement you can make if you learn to train hard. The philosophy "the body should be punished" is a good one that you'll quickly learn in boot-camp.

Trust me the treadmill punishes the body. Every time I go to work out I make myself run a little faster and little longer than the time before. I started off several weeks ago running a 3/4 at 7mph. tomorrow when I go I have to run 2.25 miles at 10mph, which is 6minute miles. I have made huge improvements. I just about throw up every time I get off that damn machine but its worth it. The reason I don't run here right now both weather and injury. Running on slippery roads is a twisted ankle I don't need a couple weeks before I ship. Running in snow is dangerous as well. You have no idea what is under the snow, holes, logs, abandoned tires, etc...If I was training for a ship date 6 months from now I would do yes, but I leave in two weeks so I don't want to take that chance.

Try an indoor track. The Shoreview community center has one. That's better for your running and your knees than a treadmill.

Nice to see another person from MN. Thanks for the advice I will have to check it out. I only have two more weeks to train but every bit helps. I live on Bethel College campus so the shoreview community center isn't too far away.

Quote Originally Posted by benw2200 View Post
    ???

I'm trying to make sense of this question. You're asking if you should go "all out"...or if you should do the best you can. Aren't those the same thing? On the pull-ups and crunches at least, your body is the limiting factor. If you can only get over the bar 10 times.. well thats how many you do! Pull till you can't pull anymore. There's no sense in only doing 8 and stopping if you know you have 2 or 3 more in you. Same with crunches.. why would you do 55 and then just quit? That's a horrible attitude to have. If you do something, put all you've got into it.

The run is a little different.. you can't just run a dead sprint off the starting line.. you'll be broke off before the first mile. Know your body.. find a good pace that you can keep up for 3 miles, and keep that pace. If you're not breathing hard, increase the pace. You'll be hurting, but suck it up and keep going.

It's all about your perspective. Me personally.. I hate being average. If someone is a better PTer than me, I hate them for being better than me, but I hate myself even more for not being as good as them. It's just how I am. When I'm running, I just think..I'm in pain now, but it'll all be over soon.. the pain will go away, but the time won't. If you run a 24, it's there, and there's no changing it. I think it's a great feeling to be done with a run, knowing I put out and ran my hardest. If I slack off I feel like I cheated myself.
    Sir, my main dread is comming from the run, I plan on doing pullups till my arms cant do them and do crunches till I puke but I have always had a problem running long distances in good time

Yeah.. the run is definitely the toughest part of the PFT.. for me at least, both mentally and physically. Try this.. find someone who you know runs a decent time, and run with them. Or pick out someone ahead of you who's running close to your pace, and keep up with them. If you run by yourself it's easier to "slack off" when you start getting tired.. if you have a buddy who's in about as good shape as you are, you can motivate each other and it makes the run a little easier. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by MrGoldCal View Post
    So I know the PFT consists of 3 events (pull ups, sit ups, and a 3mile run) but I am wondering if it would be wise for a recruit to go all out and try and score a 100 or something to that effect or just go for above minimum.
    With an attitude like that, maybe the Corps isn't for you. What you'll learn in boot camp is that it's either 110% or nothing. Don't be the one

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie0417 View Post
    With an attitude like that, maybe the Corps isn't for you. What you'll learn in boot camp is that it's either 110% or nothing. Don't be the one
    Agreed. If you want it, go get it. This is a personal question about your physical ability and mental desire so everyone can say something different. Its all up to you.

Plus, there's really no reason to not go all out on a PFT. PFT's are important. If you're a LCpl. or Cpl. your PFT factors into your cutting score for promotion. Also, who would want to be a Marine with anything less than a 1st Class PFT. Personally, I believe that every Marine should be capable of running a 1st Class PFT by the end of boot camp and if not then, by the time they get to the fleet or to their reserve unit.

Quote Originally Posted by stags11 View Post
    Agreed. If you want it, go get it. This is a personal question about your physical ability and mental desire so everyone can say something different. Its all up to you.
    I would appreciate it if you gentlemen read my previous messages explaining myself about what I meant by "All out" I do not have a quitting attitude ask anyone who knows me, Iv already clarified this 3 times for different people

Thread Information