Scope on your rifle
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Scope on your rifle

Hello Marines.
    During bootcamp and SOI, do you use the ironsight on your M16 or M4 the whole time and able to use an ACOG scope after you graduate? Or can you use a scope duing training? Does the Corps pay for the scope/mods to your gun or do you pay for it out of your own pocket? I heard they can range around $1000 for a good ACOG... Also, I know that the M4 Carbine can choose full auto or semi atuo, does the M16A4 have the option to be full auto? As a grunt(0311) can you choose an M16A4 or an M4 or are you given the M16?

Thank you

During bootcamp and SOI, do you use the iron sight on your M16 or M4
    the whole time and able to use an ACOG scope after you graduate? Or can you use a scope duing training?

At Boot you use the M16A2 with out an ACOG, But at SOI you will use the M16A4 with a ACOG and you will shoot all tables with them, which is now becoming the standard in the Marine Corps. However some Marines still don't get issued ACOG's.

Does the Corps pay for the scope/mods to your gun or do you pay for it out of your own pocket? I heard they can range around $1000 for a good ACOG...

The Corps pays for all items for your weapon except any external mods like front grips, Flash lights, ETC.

Also, I know that the M4 Carbine can choose full auto or semi atuo, does the M16A4 have the option to be full auto?

The M16A4 Does not have full auto.. they have... Safe, Semi, Burst.. The only current M16 model that is full auto is the M16A3 which is used by some Navy units and the Marines will never use them.

As a grunt(0311) can you choose an M16A4 or an M4 or are you given the M16?

As a Grunt you will most likely be issued a M16A4 with a RCO aka "ACOG" and a PEQ-15. Some units get lucky and they are issued a M4 but standard issue is a M16A4.

Quote Originally Posted by JTB7 View Post
    Hello Marines.
    During bootcamp and SOI, do you use the ironsight on your M16 or M4 the whole time and able to use an ACOG scope after you graduate? Or can you use a scope duing training? Does the Corps pay for the scope/mods to your gun or do you pay for it out of your own pocket?
    You will be issued an ACOG/RCO. Depending on what you're doing, your AO, and your commands discretion, you can opt to buy your own rifle optics.
    The only thing you may need other then a ACOG is an Aimpoint T-1 with 4x magnifier.

For future reference, and to anyone else reading:
    Before you invest in optics, invest in Magpul PMags.

Also, I know that the M4 Carbine can choose full auto or semi atuo, does the M16A4 have the option to be full auto? As a grunt(0311)
    No, although some Recon/Force Recon units have full auto M-4's.

can you choose an M16A4 or an M4 or are you given the M16?
    As a boot you will never have a choice of your own.

It's called a rifle, not a gun!

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by 0231Marine View Post
    It's called a rifle, not a gun!
    Sorry sir.

Thank you for the info Marines.

Thread Information