Question.
Create Post

Thread: Question.

Question.

I'm not entirely sure if this is the right section or not.

Anyways, currently I'm 16, and I'm itching to get into the Marines, this is something that I desperately want. I've done my own research, I've already taken the ASVAB (planning on MOS 0311), and the Guidance Counselor at my High School is a retired Marine, and I've been asking him questions, and he's also been supplying me with workout routines, geared toward helping me complete the ITS.

However, despite my adamant position in joining the Marines, my dad says, and I quote " I will dis-own you." They keep trying to persuade me into joining the Air-force, but I've done my own research of the Navy, Army, Air-Force, and as previously stated, the Marines... and the Marines is where I want to be.

I give them every argument behind me wanting to be a Marine, and they just rebuttal with "front lines" "first ones in, last ones out." and "first to die."

Is there any possible logical bit of information that could possibly get them to side with me and my decision?

Yea, your enlistment contract the day you turn 18.

Quote Originally Posted by RYDERKUR View Post
    Yea, your enlistment contract the day you turn 18.
    Yeah, that's what I was planning on doing, I just don't want my dad to "dis-own" me as he says he would.

I guess he'd get over it sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by Niemczura View Post
    Yeah, that's what I was planning on doing, I just don't want my dad to "dis-own" me as he says he would.

I guess he'd get over it sooner or later.
    Mine sure did, they are those parents that have moto "My son is a U.S. Marine" stickers plastered all over their vehicles and they carry my boot camp picture and show it off to everyone. A long ways from my pre-enlistment days of "I'm going to disown you...yada yada yada..."

Quote Originally Posted by RYDERKUR View Post
    Mine sure did, they are those parents that have moto "My son is a U.S. Marine" stickers plastered all over their vehicles and they carry my boot camp picture and show it off to everyone. A long ways from my pre-enlistment days of "I'm going to disown you...yada yada yada..."
    Good to know,
    Hopefully my parents end up that way.

Thanks a lot Ryder.

Sounds like you have a couple of years to convince your dad. Mine didn't like it either. At the end of the day, he understood my desires and didn't want to stand in my way. I have been out for 15 years and to this day he tells everyone who will listen that his son is a Marine. I suspect your dad will come to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by SGTBrentG View Post
    Sounds like you have a couple of years to convince your dad. Mine didn't like it either. At the end of the day, he understood my desires and didn't want to stand in my way. I have been out for 15 years and to this day he tells everyone who will listen that his son is a Marine. I suspect your dad will come to understand.
    My dads a bit hard headed, so there probably wont be much convincing until i actually get the Eagle, Anchor, and Globe.

You haven't met my dad! He'll be OK. No man worth a damn would disown his child for wanting to be a US Marine and defend his country! When you come home from boot camp he'll be begging for pictures and bumper stickers!

Marine recruiters are trained to speak to parents like these.

Wow, a guidance counselor helping someone get into the Marine Corps...that's a change! They need to send him to Berkley

Brother, the youth in Berkeley are from another planet.

The short answer is no. If someone questions why you want to join the Marine Corps and instead suggests the Air Force, they will never understand your point of view. It might help if you thought about another MOS, there is a whole other world beyond the 03XX series. You have time to explore the other options, it really depends on what your asvab score is.
    If you end up signing up without your parent's approval, don't worry. They will be extremely proud at graduation and Im sure they won't disown you.

A lot of parents start out like yours. My mom first told me that I didn't really love her because of this....now I think my parents are more proud of this than I am...just give it time. If its really what you want to do, they should understand, otherwise, when your 18, they won't have a choice...

Thread Information