Looking for tips on memorizing essential Information during Boot Camp
Create Post

Looking for tips on memorizing essential Information during Boot Camp

I am looking for tips and explanations of ways you have memorized some of the essential stuff you need to know at boot camp.

The stuff I am talking about is :

11 General Orders for a Sentry.
    Marine Rifle Creed
    Marine's Hymn
    USMC Core Values
    Marine Corps history
    M16A4 Rifle
    Code of Conduct

I believe the list is also links to the information of each subject but I am looking for little tricks or interesting ways of learning and memorizing these things.

Thank you for your time.

Scream it at the top of your lungs....well you'll be doing it whether you want to or not.

Ha Ha. I figured that would be happening during Boot Camp anyways. So I already got that one planned into my brain for study tools =D

You'll scream knowledge everywhere. Your drill instructors will give you diddies to remember everything, they will pound it into your head.

You scream that so much, chances are one day a year after bootcamp. You'll be walking down the hallway, and out of nowhere, you might just start saying a diddie, and wonder where the hell it came from.

Memorize as much as you can before you ship out, the more you do now the less you have to do later. You can choose to do it the easy way or the hard way, either way, you will have it memorized by the time you graduate.

I hated the ditties, but they do work. I still have them in my head.

Believe me...you'll know it.
    They give you enough ditties and you have enough "down" time to recite it..
    You'll remember them foreeeever.
    The only thing I still have problems with is 11 leadership principles. But you'll get it.
    I'm the worst with remembering ****..but after boot...I can remember almost everything.

Good luck

Thanks for all the reply's Marine's! If any of you could possibly put a few of those ditties down on the thread for me to take a look at I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again!

There is one thing that I never here on these boards about being quick at boot camp that is ,,having your lock already set so that when you pull down it opens,,, I left it a number before the last then spun it to the last number.

I was always popping my lock first and standing ready waiting for others,,, same thing with the rifle locks,, have all your buddies around you do the same thing and you will always be standing on line waiting for others

Quote Originally Posted by 1topher View Post
    There is one thing that I never here on these boards about being quick at boot camp that is ,,having your lock already set so that when you pull down it opens,,, I left it a number before the last then spun it to the last number.

I was always popping my lock first and standing ready waiting for others,,, same thing with the rifle locks,, have all your buddies around you do the same thing and you will always be standing on line waiting for others
    Little tips like this I also find extremely useful! If anyone has anymore tips of this sort I would love to here them as well!

Like every Poolee I plan on trying to be the best out there. Not to single myself out or to feel special, but simply because I hold Marines to a standard of THE BEST so that is what I plan on putting out during my time in the Marines. Only my best effort. I figure why cheat myself and let down others when even I know I can do better.

* Goodness I sure use the word * I * a lot! Going to have to work on that! Is it appropriate to say things like (this Poolee) kind of like when at Boot Camp only using phrases like this Recruit or those Recruits.

Let me know because if it is appropriate ill just start doing that now.

My Drill Instructors would randomly pull at locks while we were away, sometimes we would enter the squad-bay with a few footlockers dumped because some recruits decided to pre-set the locks. Even if you do skip the last number, the DIs would often spin off the locks for us while we were away, so that didn't help us much.

Little hint: secure everything in your footlocker, don't try to hide anything under you pillow- the DIs do check.

All I can say is DITTIES, You will have lots of them.....trust me you'll remember

You get Zip Bags put all your small stuff in them and mark them so when they dump foot lockers you have all your stuff in a bag and you can recover it quickly.

Put your last name on the back of your lock so when the Drill Instructor tells you to throw all the locks in a bucket and he shakes it up.. you can find yours fast..trick is tell all of your fellow recruits to do the same..

shave one half hour before lights

make your rack before lights

IP your uniform in your off time even if they don't tell you to .. get a head start

thats all I have for now..

Thread Information