70XX Airfield Services + MOS question
Create Post

70XX Airfield Services + MOS question

I'm under the understanding, and I'm 99% sure this is correct, that if you choose to go in this field you'll also be choosing the ordinance field as well as Airfield services.

After having said that, I plan on signing along in that MOS field. I've come to realize I won't be eligible to attain a secret security clearance as I've had some trouble with the law with MIPs and a DUI. All of the jobs in this field are requiring a security clearance with the exception of two, 7011 and 7051.

My question is, once you're in and you've gone through boot camp and MCT and you're being assigned a specific MOS, will the only options I will have be 7011 and 7051? I would love to be a C/F/R Marine, but I was wondering if they'll "find a way" to get you available for other jobs if initially you're not deemed fit for a job that requires a security clearance?

I don't mind any of these jobs, but I'd love to get 7051 (as many others do too). I know it's getting smaller and the need might be getting less and less with civilian FD help, but I still hope to get it. My AFQT is a 93. Will that be a factor in what the Corps chooses for me?

Thanks Marines.

Also, if there is anybody who's served as a C/F/R Marine I'd love to pick your brain. I've heard different things about what they do on a day to day basis. Some say they're FF by name, but also get to do a lot of grunt-ESQUE work. I'm not saying they're on their level by any means, but since there aren't a ton of fires I could see them doing work kind of comparable.

I've also heard they do a lot of cleaning and "f*** f***" games. I'm sure they do their share of both, but if anybody could talk to me about it that'd be awesome.

Regardless, it sounds like I can finally enlist and probably will be given the opportunity within two weeks.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    yea they do

I signed up for Airfield Services and i was hoping for CFR also. I ended up with Aviation Ordnance. After doing a lot of research and talking to AO Marines, i am happy with what i have

Im ATC so we work with CFR very closely and I know quite a few of them very well. If you dont mind sitting on top of a firetruck in a tin suit for hours at a time its not bad. Or sitting around waiting for something to happen that dosent and when it does happen its something like a C-130 with one engine out(they have 3 more). Its not really exciting as it sounds but when **** hits the fan, it really hits the fan, and you have to be ready to put on your A game at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by oifvet23 View Post
    yea they do
    Thanks Sir. I'm assuming you responded to the question whether they'll find a way to make you available for most/all the MOS's in the field. I'm cool with that.

Initially I wanted Aviation Logistics, but I think I'm going to try 70xx and try my luck. I am thinking about working for a FD after I get out and the USMC could give me a small taste of that. That's one of the last reasons I'm joining for. I just want to be a Marine more than all.

Thread Information