utilities
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: utilities

utilities

What utilities/cammies were issued from 1970-1980?

Talking Phase in

During that time I believe there was a phase in from Olive Drab Cammies to the Cotton Ripstop Cammies. Don't qoute me on it for sure, but I think that sounds about right. Any of you guys got any thoughts on this. BTW why are you asking.

utilities

I'm kinda starting a collection of uniforms, mainly utilities worn from WW2 to date is the reason I'm asking.
    I know green sateens were worn in early part of 70's. In a 1979 recruiting video,on Beta format actually, Drill Instructor and recruits wore ERDL style cammies with green sateen covers. My recruiters said they went back to greens briefly in 1979. Also, SOF magazine around 1980, I distinctly recall an article Corps gets new camo, when the straight pocket RDF cammies came into being. I'm just trying to pin down dates when different uniforms were worn, for how long,etc. Haven't had any luck elsewhere on the web. Thanks and Semper Fi!

utilties

Anybody else with more info on utility issue from say 1975-1979?

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    HA!HA!HA!HA!....When I was declared an ambulatory patient, at The Naval Hosp., in Orlando, Fl., in late 69', had long hair, bushy mustache, and was assigned to the E.R., for Temp Duty, till my Discharge came through. I wore cammies, Jungle boots, and a T-Shirt (Marine GREEN!), and a Marine cover! One night, while on duty, in the E.R., a Navy E-8, Chief Hosp. Corpsman, chewed my butt, for my uniform, and my facial hair, and the length of my hair cut. I looked at his ribbons, and "nicely", told him to F**K-OFF! I was on "The Carpet", the next day, with the Director of the Hospital! I was one angry, hurting, S.O.B., told him to F**K-OFF"....TOO!! NEVER HEARD ANOTHER WORD ABOUT THE INCIDENT!!! Should have stayed "in", just to go back to F.M.F., and serve out my time....hind-sight is ALWAYS 20/20!!.....Doc Greek

Last edited by DocGreek; 01-22-09 at 12:27 AM. Reason: can't spell after 00:27 am....Doc Greek

My stint on active duty was 6/'75-6/'78. We wore OD green utilities, and we phased in the woodland camo utilities with the OD cover. There's a couple of pics in my albums, under, Iwakuni MTHvy.

A vast mixture of green/camo/ERDL was issued during that time period. The military was experimenting with, and issuing out, some odd and unusual patterns, as usual the Marine Corps took what they could get and find.

The OD green 'sateens' were standard issue until about 1978/79, (not sure of the 'wear out date', but they weren't being worn at all in summer of '82 when I was in RT).

Different units wore different things, depending on 'wear out' dates and when uniforms first entered the system.

I'd say if you were attempting to get different sets of things during that time, I'd go for the following:

Sateens. The 'greens' were the most common worn during this period.

ERDL camo: These were in the system

Jungle pattern slash pocket heavy green: Also in the system

Jungle pattern slash pocket light green/brown: Also in the system.

Woodlands don't hit the system until the very early 1980's (circa '81 or so) and they were the heavy winter variety, with what we called the 'elvis' collar. It would have been very rare to see a Marine wearing these, even in 1980.

The cammies being worn by 3522, above, are the jungle style 'brown dominent' slash pocket variety with sateen cover.

Marine Free Member Matt Brzycki's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The change-over from olive green utilities to cammies may have differed from base to base depending on operational requirements. For me, it occurred when I was stationed at 29 Palms sometime before Jun 78. I can't recall anything more specific but I have a photograph of myself wearing "jungle jammies" (as our CO referred to them at the time) on a forced march humping the radio. I left the base for MCRD San Diego in Jun 78 so I know it was before that date but that's the best I can come up with. (I still have 2 sets of those cammies.)

I remember that we were really excited about getting them. Besides the look, they had a relaxed fit (you didn't tuck in or "blouse" the shirts) which meant that they were more comfortable. Plus, they more pockets but perhaps most importantly, they didn't have to be starched!

Matt Brzycki
    Sergeant (1975-79)

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Okay, I just went back and did more investigating. The back of that photo in which I was wearing cammies has the date "March 1977." This wasn't necessarily the date that the photo was taken but when it was printed. So we got our cammies prior to Mar 77. Then, I checked a copy of my Service Record Book - one of the advantages of being in admin is getting copies of all of your records - and it shows a 15.5 mile "endurance march" on 770125. So we got our cammies prior to Jan 77. Strange, though, in that there's another Marine in the photo wearing olive drab green utilities and we were with the same unit. Can't remember but I guess the cammies were phased in over time and for at least a while, there was a grace period, so to speak, in which there was a mix of uniforms even within the same unit.

BTW, the photo reminded me of a disadvantage of the cammies. Back then, we pinned our black chevrons onto the collars of the cammies in the same manner as the utilities. Problem was that it was much more difficult to see someone's rank on the cammies since the background was so much darker. I think nowadays, the chevrons are sewn on? And I think there's a square- or rectangular-shaped olive drab green background that the rank goes over to make it seen better? One of you active-duty Marines help me with that one, please.

Bottom line: Cammies were issued to us at MCB 29 Palms no later than Jan 77.

Matt Brzycki
    Sergeant (1975-79)

Heavily starched olive green utilities from 74-77 and by the middle of 77 they were starting to issue the green cammies.

I was at 29 Palms from Jan77 to June77 and we could have been issued the green cammies earlier but I know we never wore them I wore my utilities up until my discharge in June77 but wore them out in my civilian world.

Matt:

OUTstanding post. That's as good a timeline as you can get right there.

Yes, there would have been a 'phase in/phase out' date for the utilities/cammies. Likely several years is how it normally works.

In answer to your next question, no collar insignia were ever issued with backings for easy visibility; nor are 'sewn on' insignia authorized.

In Parris Island, Jan 1978, we were issued cammies with the diagonal breast pockets and sateenes. But the only cap was sateene, so it was worn with both uniforms.

Throught 1978, 1979 you could wear which ever uniform you choose. Sometime in 1979 - 1980 it became mandatory to wear the matching cap with the same uniform as the camouflage cap became available. Also around this time the breast pockets went from diagonal to stright, like most any shirt.

Sometime in 1980 - - 1981, after sateenes had not been sold for a few years we were told not to wear them any longer, but very few of us had any left to wear at that point.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I went through my records again, this time checking my platoon photographs from when I was a DI in Sa Diego.

My first platoon graduated on Nov 8, 1978. The platoon photo shows the recruits wearing olive drab green utilities. Can't remember if the photo was taken at the end of first phase or at the beginning of third phase. (My memory chip ain't what it used to be.) But here's the weird thing: In the graduation book, the "filler" black and white photos show the recruits in both olive drab green utilities and cammies. For example, olive drab green utilities were worn during close combat training and "infantry training" but cammies at the rifle range.

The really strange part is that, if the photographs are in chronological sequence, the rifle range (where they wore cammies) was in between close combat training and infantry training (where they wore green utilities). Plus, we (the DIs) wore cammies the entire time. Something else strange that I forgot was that the recruits wore olive drab green starched covers with their cammies (as someone reported earlier in this thread).

My second platoon graduated on Feb 9, 1979, and the platoon photo shows the recruits in cammies.

Matt Brzycki
    Sergeant (1975-79)

Thanks Sgt Brzycki, That's what I thought. In the documentary "WAR", made about 1980 which was filmed at P.I., some recruits wore slant pocket cammies with varying color differences and some wore straight pocket cammies, but all wore cammie covers to match their uniforms. When I went to boot camp in '83 we were issued the woodland style cammies, but in quick glances, I saw D. I.'s wearing the erdl style. we also wore white tees under our tops. As stated earlier, there were dates posted as to when certain uniforms would not be worn any longer, or I guess when they were surveyed they would be issued new ones in a new pattern. Thanks Again !

Thread Information