Any help would be appreciated
Create Post
    Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Any help would be appreciated

Our son is finishing his junior year at the University of Kansas. He wants to join the marines instead of stay in school. He is hoping to be able to get his degree while serving. We as parents have LOTS of questions!!! He wants to be an officer but wonders if it would be better to go in as enlisted, then apply to be an officer. We have no idea but are excited that he is thinking about a future with the marines. Anyone out there want to answer some questions???

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    I think there are Officer Programs that accept College Juniors and then the Candidate finishes their Senior Year. I'm sure someone will be along shortly with the complete current info.

Ma'am, here is a link that will help you out. I will tell you that the best thing he could do is go talk to an Officer recruiter and get all the information he can from them. If he calls his local recruiting station, they can get him in contact with one that specializes in officers.

From experience, I will tell you that it would be best for him to finish his degree and go the officer route. There is no guaruntee that he'd be accepted as an officer once he goes enlisted and honestly, he'd be wasting his time in the enlisted ranks when he could be learning as an officer and picking up rank. Just a thought.

http://officer.marines.com/page/Plat...rs-Class-O.jsp

Let me know if you have any more questions and myself or any of the other Marines on here will be happy to assist you!

It's great that you have taken an interest in his intentions. Something that would also help out is if he signs up here also. There is a ton of information either posted on these pages or filed away in some of these Jarheads brains. If he is indeed serious about becoming a Marine he should check out this site also.

Our son's recruiting station is hosting a family night in a couple of weeks. They will be bringing in several Drill Instructors to give these poolees a small sample of bootcamp "entertainment". I am sure they will make it easy on them just because there will be mothers present.

They will allow a question and answer time for the parents. My son has been in the DEP program since June 08 and is to leave for San Diego June of 09 after he graduates from high school. However, we are a two hour drive from the recruiter's office, so he can only go to the poolee functions on a monthly basis. I am wondering if there are good, intelligent questions I might need to know which other parents or current Marines wished they known to ask.

Our recruiter has been very helpful, informative, and encouraging to my son. He has spent time with us answering questions, and we have been very appreciative of his help. My husband and myself are very supportive of our son's decision, and we want to know as much as we are able. I realize we can not possibly be fully prepared, but I would appreciate any advice from others.

Just wanted to pass this along. My son was a C and D, student in hight school. Joined the Navy upon graduation. Was on cat4 on the USS Nmiitz, 3 years. Got out, went to U. of Southern Illnois, straight A's, deans list. He had grown up and became a dedicated responsible man. There were a few vets there, which he formed a commradeship. Told me, "Dad, I can't believe these kids right out of high school, bunch of wimpy, spoiled, cry babies"., I, of course got a kick out of that. I've seen the Corps, and other branches of course, really turn some young boys life around. It's just a good thing.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Just my humble opinion, he would do well to finish what he started, then go after OCS. That would put him well ahead of the game. But, as we all know,,,his choice. Your support is a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by kansasmom View Post
    Our son is finishing his junior year at the University of Kansas. He wants to join the marines instead of stay in school. He is hoping to be able to get his degree while serving. We as parents have LOTS of questions!!! He wants to be an officer but wonders if it would be better to go in as enlisted, then apply to be an officer. We have no idea but are excited that he is thinking about a future with the marines. Anyone out there want to answer some questions???
    In my opinion I think he would make a better officer if he went enlisted first at least being a Cpl or Sgt that would have him knowing both sides of the coin, don't forget to capitalize Marines ma'am, have a good day, Semper FI.

Thread Information