Permanently Disqualed
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Permanently Disqualed

As many of you may know, I was disqualified back in December right before I went to MEPS for the 3rd time. BUMED/MEPS came back with their decision yesterday to tell me that their final decision is to not let me in. I have talked to the Navy and they said they are going to try and send my stuff up through their command. (My USMC recruiter had a few guys who were DQ'd and the Navy got them in within a couple weeks). If in fact it all works out with the Navy, I will ask to be a FMF Corpsman so I can hopefully see you all in the Fleet someday. God bless you all for all that you do and for all the support you guys give. Because of you all and the Marines I have come in contact with (even though I am not a Marine), I have truly come closer than ever before to seeing the true meaning of the phrase "Semper Fidelis". Take care guys.

- Jacob

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Tough break, man.

Hopefully everything works out well with the Navy.

If you dont mind me asking, what were you PDQ'd for ?

Keep your head high, you'll find your niche. I hope it works out for the best! I was thinking about being a Corpsman (I'm an EMT-B now), but decided against it. It's a LOT of work, I hope you understand that.

Sureshot, Disqualed for history of depression. I had been of meds for a year like they said but they changed their mind. But life's not fair.

Polizei, yeah I saw the training that FMF Corpsman go through, but very few people in this world were successful from lack of hard work!

I was DQ'ed 13 years ago.

I've had 2 major shoulder surgeries since then.

I've been in for 1.5 years now, enlisted without a waiver. Don't ever take no for an answer.

Roger that Lance Corporal. I figured my best bet would be to join another branch to show them I'm alright and after my 4 years are up, give it another go. Get some experience/education while I have the time.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    lagrand,

Sorry to hear this........I do have a question though and USMC Mason said he enlisted after being DQ'ed without a waiver.....I have no doubt about this because stranger things happen and it probally depends on who's desk the paperwork crosses.

However if BUMED DQ'ed you from the Marine Corps and you are trying to go into the Navy....and the Marine Corps falls under the Department of the Navy...are you setting yourself up for another disappointment?

I have respect for all branches of service and wish you luck....hopefully things will work out...keep your motivation and bull headed attitude and you will make it.

Its actually funny you should mention that Staff Sergeant, as I brought that up in conversation with the recruiters. Under the impression the Senior Chief gave me, they are both under two different BUMEDs which is kind of weird. They said they had guys getting DQ'd from the Marines and heading over to the Navy and processing and going to MEPS within 2 weeks. I'm baffled but I'm not gonna argue with that!

Quote Originally Posted by lagrand View Post
    Its actually funny you should mention that Staff Sergeant, as I brought that up in conversation with the recruiters. Under the impression the Senior Chief gave me, they are both under two different BUMEDs which is kind of weird. They said they had guys getting DQ'd from the Marines and heading over to the Navy and processing and going to MEPS within 2 weeks. I'm baffled but I'm not gonna argue with that!
    If the Navy takes you put in your time there and when your obligation is fulfilled you could try the Marines, just a thought, Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper View Post
    lagrand,

Sorry to hear this........I do have a question though and USMC Mason said he enlisted after being DQ'ed without a waiver.....I have no doubt about this because stranger things happen and it probally depends on who's desk the paperwork crosses.

However if BUMED DQ'ed you from the Marine Corps and you are trying to go into the Navy....and the Marine Corps falls under the Department of the Navy...are you setting yourself up for another disappointment?

I have respect for all branches of service and wish you luck....hopefully things will work out...keep your motivation and bull headed attitude and you will make it.

Oh I have just a little respect for the other branches, BUT MARINES WILL ALWAYS DO IT BEST, SEMPER FI.

As of now, I just hope I get to serve. Beggers can't be choosers.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Just remember the Marine Corps. doesnt need you, you need the Marines. Maybe you could try waiting a little while and resubmiting your Bumed. I tried to enlist back in November of 2007 and was denied from Bumed for a shoulder surgery I had 6 months prior. I am sending my paperwork back to Bumed next week and trying again, it has been just about 2 years since my surgery so im hoping to have a better shot this time around. Dont give up hope and rememer there is nothing wrong with the other branches.

Full disclosure too SSgt... I was pretty amazed when they said yes. I tried when I was 17 and was DQ'ed via BUMED. I tried several more times during the next few years (in various states) and was told to pound sand. This was all because of me being honest on a questionnaire at MEPS regarding my "trick" shoulder.

At 28 I decided to try again, after 2 shoulder surgeries. I gave all of the medical reports including my rehab reports and release. Everything was copied and reviewed, I sat down with a doc at MEPS and was given the green light. I turned 29 three days into boot, just making the age requirement.

Good luck to all posting here with medical issues, and like I said - Don't take no for an answer. You don't want to be sitting around all old and decrepit wondering if you would have made a good Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper View Post
    lagrand,

hey lagrand. If you dont mind, I was wondering well its probably personal. I have 4 months till Ive been off the meds for a year too for anxiety/depression and you being permanently dq'd has me worried. I went to a pysc. and she said I was fine and that I was probably misdiagnosed. I dont know maybe its case by case...but this is the only thing I want to do. So any info you have about BUMED and what the case is with that would be greatly appreciated. Good luck with the Navy.

Hey Shannon,

I don't mind at all talking about it. At the 6 month period, after being medication, my recruiter brought me to MEPS and sent my stuff up to BUMED. From what everyone is telling me (Navy and Marine recruiters), THIS is why I was disqualified. I should have never gone to MEPS or sent my paperwork to BUMED that early. If I would have done MEPS/BUMED after the 1 year mark, I probably would have been fine. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just MAKE SURE that if your recruiter has you going to MEPS before that 1 year mark, you put your foot down and say "No I would rather wait". I have been told that my recruiter was just trying to get me in because he needed guys and tried to find a loophole, which subsequently screwed me over.

Any other questions feel free to ask! Or you can PM me if they are personal. Good luck with everything!

- Jacob

Thread Information