Promoted! - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Promoted!

Quote Originally Posted by mcvet57103 View Post
    Only story I have is when I was in they used to "Pen" your stripes on you. All the men in your company at your new rank got to punch you in each shoulder once as hard as they wanted to. Getting Cpl was the worst. Then they also got to knee you in the thigh "penning" on your blood stripe. After a day of getting punched, with the last few bringing tears to my eyes, I couldn't raise my arms to eat chow. And hurt for 3 days. But I was told they don't allow that anymore.

that's hazing now....

when I picked up Staff I had a friendly open handed pat on the fresh rank on my collar and it hit a vein... didn't know it... it started to bleed through my cammies and down to my nametape.... well the CO saw it and made a big deal about it... hell! I told him he did the same thing on the other side!

so I had to get mad and say I had princess skin or something because no-one hit my rank but the CO and the 1stSgt... and I'd testify to that (that quited them down a bit) but it's odd how something like that would make such a big deal.... I'm not crying about it, so why do anything?

I'm obviously looking at this from my own perspective, I'm aware of the troops and how impressionable they CAN be... yadda yadda....

(disclaimer, I might have embellished a little bit... it's up to you to figure out which part)

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    that's hazing now....

(disclaimer, I might have embellished a little bit... it's up to you to figure out which part)
    Yeah I was told that in another post. It hurt like hell at the time, but I felt like I was accepted by the guys. We had the attitude back then that a real Marine would take the pain, and not complain. Things have teally changed. I've learned it aint the same corps it was back then. But change is what everyone seems to want nowadays. Was just giving him a story he asked for. Didn't mean to suggest he do it.SF

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Couldn,t raise my arms for about 2-3 dayswhen i picked up Sgt,I think the Other Sgts and SSgts were being easy on me

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Jim View Post
    Couldn,t raise my arms for about 2-3 days when i picked up Sgt,I think the Other Sgts and SSgts were being easy on me
    Was that way for LCpl, and for Cpl I could barely walk also.

Credits
    Savings

Thumbs down HAZING = crybabies

we used to have a lot of fun with it, but they kind of threw the baby out with the bath water.

nobody ever got "pinned" unwillingly. Hell it would have been a huge insult if somebody DIDN'T bother hitting you. We had a kind of 24-hr rule (give or take some.) Anyway, I can't complain about the "old Corps" disappearing; just trust Marines to find a way around everything!

Anway, promotion stories? I missed my promotion to L/Cpl because I was on a working party. I got back to the barracks around 5pm and they sort of half-assed threw the Plt back together. They formed a gauntlet which scared the crap out of me, (but nobody actually hit me). The plt sgt read the warrant from memory (and very badly, might I add) and then he gave me a longneck (i actually was 21). I was then blindsided with a flying tackle (from one of my peers, no less!) and we had a fun plt brawl all over the basketball court. point is it was fun, we felt like killers and nobody got hurt (too bad)!

this is taking forever but one more! my friend got rolled behind the COC in-country by the most legendary SNCO our Bn had. To this day he is proud of getting his ass beat by that man!

Credits
    Savings
    My Bro Kevin and I both pinned on Lance on the same day. We went out that afternoon for a drive in his car - a standard. Neither of us could really use our right arms, so he drove/steered with his left, and when he said "shift" and pushed the clutch, and I used my left to change gears...what a team.

Congratulations PFC!!
    SFi
    C

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Congradulations, MARINE!! May you only need a Corpsman, to help you cure some "social disease!!"......SEMPER FI.....Doc Greek

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I should have written that getting promoted meritoriously in a combat zone was kind of special only when nobody had died to create the vacancy. In my case, no Marine was hurt or killed in the production of making this guy a Corporal - except for me.

I was murdered when pinning on time came. Even the S-4 (a Captain) got in on the act as he was a former Sergeant. I could hardly walk or move my arms. I found out an aviation unit has a hell of a lot of NCOs in it.

I never thought to whine or complain about it. Pinning on was a tradition and you just rolled with it.

Hazing - bull****.

Good work on the promotion! You now are a true professional in cleaning. Keep it up and stay out of trouble, the weight on your collar can magically disappear even faster than they came if you **** it up.

And that stuff is considered hazing now because there's always that one idiot that took it too far. But at least having chevron's pounded isn't nearly as gay as some other hazing stories I've heard...

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwarkeh View Post
    Good work on the promotion! You now are a true professional in cleaning. Keep it up and stay out of trouble, the weight on your collar can magically disappear even faster than they came if you **** it up.

And that stuff is considered hazing now because there's always that one idiot that took it too far. But at least having chevron's pounded isn't nearly as gay as some other hazing stories I've heard...

It's not gay at ALL, brother.

Let me correct myself: it's the exact opposite of gay. What I meant is that some of the hazing stories, like the one where the Silent Drill Team used to paint the new member's balls with edge dressing, are filled with gayness.

And I'm not quite a brother since I'm female.

Credits
    Savings
    Every Marine ain't a riflewoman or a rifleperson. If the shoe fits...

Seriously, I just didn't check. No offense intended...

Quote Originally Posted by Qwarkeh View Post

Hey Christine, You need to update your personal info. Got a PFC chev and a E-1 in your profile. SF

Congrats on the promotion. I was promoted meritourios to LCPL out of boot camp so that was pretty cool. Sgt was another on that I liked. To me Sgt is on of the best ranks in the Corps. You get to lead Marines but you do not have to mess with so much of the paperwork side of things. Ooh Rah

Quote Originally Posted by mcvet57103 View Post
    Only story I have is when I was in they used to "Pen" your stripes on you. All the men in your company at your new rank got to punch you in each shoulder once as hard as they wanted to. Getting Cpl was the worst. Then they also got to knee you in the thigh "penning" on your blood stripe. After a day of getting punched, with the last few bringing tears to my eyes, I couldn't raise my arms to eat chow. And hurt for 3 days. But I was told they don't allow that anymore.
    That is anyone above you in rank got to do the penning.

Thread Information