Question about the 1812 MOS (M1A1 Tank Crewman)
Create Post

Question about the 1812 MOS (M1A1 Tank Crewman)

I do realize that the Marine Corps does not guarantee anyone a specific MOS, but they can guarantee a field. If I get the 18xx OccFld guaranteed in my contract, what are my chances of being an 1812 as opposed to an 1833? There are only two primary MOS' in the 18xx OccFld, but is it basically a 50/50 chance or do generally most people get selected for one MOS over the other? I'd really like to be an 1812 so i'm very curious.

Also, one more question if it's not too much trouble: Once you earn the title and eventually graduate from the M1A1 Armor Crewman Course at Ft. Knox, how is it determined whether you'll be a driver, loader, or gunner once you get to the Fleet?

Thanks

Ha - nothing is a guarantee poolee. I was screwed out of 2 MOS's, I was even given the opportunity to leave bootcamp.

And for your second questions i'd ->ASSUME<- its random, i'm not positive however.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    ...how is it determined whether you'll be a driver, loader, or gunner once you get to the Fleet?
    When I was studying for a possible 'Lat-Move' to the LAV field, all these same job functions were assigned by rank and experience.

I don't think you will ever see a L/Cpl vehicle commander. There are plenty of Armor Marines that will tell for sure. And a Recruiter will have the latest scoop.

Thank you for the replies.

I do know that the 1833 MOS requires a class II swim qualification, so of course you won't be an 1833 if you have anything less than a class II qualification and if you have a guaranteed contract for the 18xx OccFld, that only leaves 1812 as an option. Does this sound correct?

StefanovicN- My recruiter said that the Marine Corps now offers guaranteed contracts for certain OccFld's but they will not guarantee specific MOS' within the already guaranteed OccFld. I do realize that very little in the Corps is guaranteed, but I guess this is one of the rare exceptions.

Again, thank you for any and all information, it is greatly appreciated!

Just wonder if anyone knows the answer to my above question. Thanks

Registered User Free Member iowasurfer2's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Yeah, they guarantee the field, provided you complete all of the qualifications to do the job (pass the schools, ship to and graduate from boot camp on time, etc.) I did some deployments with a tank bn. and they told me the first thing anyone will be is a driver, cause anyone can drive. You just have to be able to follow orders from the tank commander. With time you will progress to the loader, then to gunner, and eventually as a Cpl. or Sgt. you may become a tank Commander. Or, you may not. That depends on you. But, just think of it in terms of skill requirements. You have to be a little more skilled to aim lock and shoot a target, than you do to slam a big bullet into a gun. And if you don't know what everyone in that tank is supposed to be doing, how are you going to lead them as a tank commander? Good Luck!!

what are the duty stations for MOS 1812

Quote Originally Posted by Accord View Post
    I do realize that the Marine Corps does not guarantee anyone a specific MOS, but they can guarantee a field. If I get the 18xx OccFld guaranteed in my contract, what are my chances of being an 1812 as opposed to an 1833? There are only two primary MOS' in the 18xx OccFld, but is it basically a 50/50 chance or do generally most people get selected for one MOS over the other? I'd really like to be an 1812 so i'm very curious.

Also, one more question if it's not too much trouble: Once you earn the title and eventually graduate from the M1A1 Armor Crewman Course at Ft. Knox, how is it determined whether you'll be a driver, loader, or gunner once you get to the Fleet?

Thanks
    They will put you down as 1812 Tank Crewman but again you are only guaranteed the 18xx field. Everyone I have know that wanted 1812, and passed all the requirements, got it. As far as position in the tank, you will usually initially either be assigned loader or driver and then rotate. After you have had some experience and if you show are squared away and show profiency you will spend some trial time as gunner and possibly move into that position. Generally, tank commanders are going to be experienced Marines at least NCO's and usually Sgt. and above. You will either be stationed at 29 Palms or Camp Lejune.

Quote Originally Posted by devildog 53 View Post
    what are the duty stations for MOS 1812
    Either at 29 Palms with 1st Tank Bn or at Camp Lejuene with 2nd Tank Bn where I'm at

That is correct and if your lucky you will end up with 1st Tanks! The training area out there is the best considering the current conflict, and so is the leadership!

There is 1st CAB Camp Schwab Okinawa too

Thread Information