Boot camp pay. Help please. - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    As far as the clothing allowance goes, she will get half a year's amount on her one year anniversary. So if she goes in on 20071231 she will get 180.00 on 20090101 instead of getting the full 380.00.

initial clothing is different.... I'm pretty sure.

but you are correct, you get 50% for the first 2 or 3 years then upon your re-enlistment you start getting the full amount. (that's when your gear starts to wear out)

Quote Originally Posted by saltyone View Post
    They don't do chits anymore? When we would go to the little PX they would give us just enough chits to pay for what we needed. Never saw a penny until graduation. If I remember right, I only had a few hundred left after buying my plane ticket.
    Do you guy's remember how fvcked up the pay was for months for some Marines throughout MCT and MOS school? it took time for everything to work itself out.....Do they still have Navy relief?

yes they do... and the pay was jacked because everyone was trying to have their banks changed....

the only people who should change their banks immediately should be Married Marines.

Quick word of advice to any poolees headed to Parris Island: You will be automatically issued an account with FSNB (Fort Sill National Bank). During the last we of boot camp, I highly encourage you to switch to Navy Federal. A lot of Marines coming out of boot have issues with FSNB, such as money suspiciously disappearing from their accounts and the inability to contact FSNB because no one answers their phones! Avoid all that trouble and sign on with Navy Fed as soon as possible- you can switch to whatever bank you want when you get into the fleet.

Talking Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
    Dude, remember what I told you bout attention to detail?
    That he is a she...and before you get any ideas, a married she.
    Man, must of had a few to many beers when I was typing away last night. . As to Roxana, I apologize for calling you a guy. As far as the Married thing there Enigmatic, sounds like you know me all to well.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    the name obviously isn't enough.... :P
    Which with me being a little buzzed last night, its probably a good thing I didn't realize he was a she, and she is Married.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    When I went in, our initial issue of UNIFORMS and related clothing items were free to us (other than our sweat equity). The bucket issue (shaving gear, toiletries, scuz brush, laundry soap, etc) we had to pay for, along with our weekly haircuts (40-cents each - we had a payment coupon book as part of the bucket issue).

As I recall, we did not start receiving a monthly clothing allowance in our pay until you had a year of service.

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    initial clothing is different.... I'm pretty sure.

but you are correct, you get 50% for the first 2 or 3 years then upon your re-enlistment you start getting the full amount. (that's when your gear starts to wear out)
    Second year mark is when we rate the full amount, SSgt. 2 weeks till I get mine...pamper money!

Credits
    Savings
    Big lol to both echo3oscar1833 and Enigmatic.

Also, I'm not planning on paying bills while in boot camp, just when I'm done I'd like to use whatever I have to take care of some loose ends. Just interested to know how soon I could do that.

Thanks for all the replies, again.

Quote Originally Posted by roxieb View Post
    Thank you for the replies...they were helpful. I just wanted to make sure I would be receiving my pay as early as graduation and not after ALL my training. I have bills to pay off and wanted to know how soon I can access my boot camp pay to pay them off...assuming I have anything left after the trip back home and all the uniform costs. lol. Thanks again.
    Something everyone here seemed to overlook is---

BEFORE you leave home, open a checking account.
    Find a bank that has free checking accounts, call
    around, there will be a bank with a free checking account.
    Tell the person at the bank you will be entering the U.S.
    Marine Corp. and you will have direct deposits.
    I suggest you try to open your account with 200. dollars at least.
    Make sure you tell the bank representative you want an ATM / Visa
    check card. Make sure you open an account with one of the larger banks
    to make sure their on the main ATM networks. I suggest you ask your recruiter to find out what networks they are on- PX, Commissary, etc. and the base credit union's ATM network. Networks such as--PLUS,MOST,
    CIRRUS, etc.
    Ask the bank representative for the following--
    1. Bank routing number
    2. Your checking account number
    these are the 2 most important things. Do not share this info with anyone
    who should not know it.
    You will need this info for your pay check to be accurately deposited to it.
    MAKE SURE THE INFO IS CORRECT!
    Something I think is important--------

get a business card from the bank representative, ask them to note your account that you will be in basic training and will need to occasionally call
    the branch should a need arise. Get the direct branch phone number!
    Ask if you can get someone's name who should/will be at that branch for the next few months who you can call if needed.
    Try to get an account opened before you leave for basic. Make sure enough time so you can get your ATM / Visa check card YOURSELF-
    also--so you and you alone can get he PIN number to access an ATM.
    Make sure you ask the branch for a Visa Check card / ATM card combined.
    If ATM's were to not work, the VISA check card can be used like a regular visa. I appologize if I repeated myself,,, good luck man !

p.s. shop around, there will be banks that have FREE checking accounts with visa check card. tell them your going into the marines, maybe they
    will have a package account. again, make sure you tell them you will start
    having direct deposits in about 1 1/2 to 2 months.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    haha, this thread is a couple years old. Way to go champ.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Old,,, but good advice.

My son started up his USAA account a couple of weeks before he shipped, and did the direct deposit thing. He shipped with his bank card in hand.

So different now. We used to get paid cash counted out on the table.

I would say someone is using her account on here as the one asking is going to Boot Camp so counld not be a L/Cpl yet

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    Old,,, but good advice.

My son started up his USAA account a couple of weeks before he shipped, and did the direct deposit thing. He shipped with his bank card in hand.

So different now. We used to get paid cash counted out on the table.
    Yeah I remeber getting cash and while over in Okie the loan sharks would be at the back waiting to get their money

Thread Information