Getting ready to leave
Create Post

Getting ready to leave

Good Evening Marines,

I ship to MCRDSD for Recruit Training on 20111212. I signed an 0311 contract and I'm getting motivated as the date gets closer. Although I haven't asked any questions previously, I appreciate the knowledge this site has given me to prepare me and I want to thank all the Marines for their service.

I am currently in college and taking exams, but still making time for reading up on the knowledge that needs to be known and training. My last IST score was 9:35 for the 1.5 mile, 19 pull-ups, and 65 crunches. The questions I wanted to ask were:

1. Does anyone have any training tips or exercises besides the basic push-ups, pull-ups, and running that will help in preventing injury?

2. How to keep from getting sick as I keep reading about getting pneumonia and I definitely don't want to get dropped.

3. Do I wear my poole shirt or a collared shirt as I have heard both answers.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Last edited by Missouri Boy; 11-28-11 at 06:40 PM. Reason: misspelled word

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Missouri Boy View Post
    Good Evening Marines,

I ship to MCRDSD for Recruit Training on 20111212. I signed an 0311 contract and I'm getting motivated as the date gets closer. Although I haven't asked any questions previously, I appreciate the knowledge this site has given me to prepare me and I want to thank all the Marines for their service.

I am currently in college and taking exams, but still making time for reading up on the knowledge that needs to be known and training. My last IST score was 9:35 for the 1.5 mile, 19 pull-ups, and 65 crunches. The questions I wanted to ask were:

1. Does anyone have any training tips or exercises besides the basic push-ups, pull-ups, and running that will help in preventing injury?

2. How to keep from getting sick as I keep reading about getting pneumonia and I definitely don't want to get dropped.

1. It's a little late to worry about PT tips. Stick to the basics at the point.

2. Eat as well as possible. Wash your hands whenever you can. Don't stick your fingers in your mouth. Don't kiss any sick recruits. If you get sick, turn in to sick call immediately.

3. Don't wear anything with anything Marine Corps on it. Even a plain white t-shirt is better than that.

Thank you. I appreciate your answer.

Zulu's answers were good, could only add a bit to each.

1. Correct, it is too late to attempt to do anything in the way of exercises to prevent injury. Actually, sudden modification could cause injury. Most injuries occur as a result of over use. Do not try to hammer it in your last week leading up. When one PT's hard, especially running, their immunity weakens, which leads to your second question.

2. Wash your hands as often as you can. If a recruit is coughing, seems to be becoming ill, try to avoid as much as possible. Leading up to your ship date, get plenty of rest and eat well. If you feel yourself becoming sick, drink as much fluid when you have it available as you can.

3. I assume you are talking about when you travel. I agree with Zulu. Don't wear anything Marine Corps. Don't be GQ, don't wear baggie pants. Be nondescript.

Howdy.

1. Instead of exercises, I'd actually recommend stretches. You don't get a lot of stretch time during boot, but if you're looking for exercises.. lunges work pretty well for the legs from what I hear.

2. You will get sick, more than likely. Pneumonia is not as bad as it seems, and you can't get dropped for it unless it's serious. I had pneumonia for about 2-3 weeks and I was fine, though I never could sleep well because of the coughing. Just take care of yourself and be clean. Don't scratch/touch your face (or anywhere else in general), remember to wash your hands when possible, and eat healthy.

Oh, and one more thing. Drink lots of water, get rest when you can, and if given the opportunity to sanitize your canteens.. do it! It helps a lot.

3. I would say wear regular plain clothes.. you don't want extra attention to you early on. Doesn't end well.

1. Agreed with the other two, just keep moving, don't get lazy but don't do anything crazy. The last thing you need is to get hurt.

2. Wash your hands every opportunity, shower well, hand sanitizer is your best friend, DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T TOUCH YOUR FACE ESPECIALLY YOUR EYES. The last one is really hard, but the most important. Also, do laundry a lot and make sure you have enough clean clothes. Buy more when you're allowed to make a PX run. But you will get sick. It's a drag, but everyone does.

3. I strongly suggest wearing something blank. One less thing for the friendly welcoming committee to home in on

Got it. Ill leave my occupy wall street shirt and jorts at home. *sarcastic* Thank you everyone for your answers. I'm ready to get r' done.

Thread Information