Boot camp pay. Help please.
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32
  1. #1
    Marine Free Member roxieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Twentynine Palms, CA
    Posts
    24
    Credits
    10,012
    Savings
    0

    Boot camp pay. Help please.

    Hi. I am shipping out in about 4 months now and I am trying to get all my financial stuff in order. My question is about boot camp pay. At what point do you receive your pay? Is is immediately after boot, or do you have to be completely done with all the training (MCT&MOS)?

    Thank you in advance for any help.


  2. #2
    Marine Free Member saltyone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bossier City, LA
    Posts
    107
    Credits
    10,003
    Savings
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by roxieb View Post
    Hi. I am shipping out in about 4 months now and I am trying to get all my financial stuff in order. My question is about boot camp pay. At what point do you receive your pay? Is is immediately after boot, or do you have to be completely done with all the training (MCT&MOS)?

    Thank you in advance for any help.
    You'll be paid at the end of boot camp. I suggest having a parent or family member help you with any and all financial obligations until you graduate. Also, your creditors may be willing to differ some or all of your payments until after you graduate. Just call and ask.

    Of course...I went to boot camp 15 years ago and things may have changed since then.


  3. #3
    You get paid throughout boot camp. You can access some of it for px runs, but for the most part you have to wait until after boot to actually get it in hand. You will have a bank account with the depot. Keep in mind that you might not have as much as you expect, as uniforms and the basic issue get deducted from your pay. You will also have to purchase a plane ticket home, and possibly a plane ticket for your family if you want them there but they can't afford it. You should leave with about 1000, hopefully this helps.


  4. #4
    Marine Free Member saltyone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bossier City, LA
    Posts
    107
    Credits
    10,003
    Savings
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by commdog7 View Post
    You get paid throughout boot camp. You can access some of it for px runs, but for the most part you have to wait until after boot to actually get it in hand. You will have a bank account with the depot. Keep in mind that you might not have as much as you expect, as uniforms and the basic issue get deducted from your pay. You will also have to purchase a plane ticket home, and possibly a plane ticket for your family if you want them there but they can't afford it. You should leave with about 1000, hopefully this helps.
    They don't do chits anymore? When we would go to the little PX they would give us just enough chits to pay for what we needed. Never saw a penny until graduation. If I remember right, I only had a few hundred left after buying my plane ticket.


  5. #5
    They issued us a credit card worth 300 to start off. After we set up the bank accounts, then we got our official credit card from our bank which we used to purchase items from the px. We never got money back, never held a single penny, it was all done electronically.


  6. #6

    Talking Just My Two Cents

    We got a atm/debit card while in boot camp, out in MCRD San Diego were set up with Marine Pacific Credit Union. When we went to the PX we just swiped it like you would any other debit card. Paid for our trash, and went back to training. However don't worry about the money while in boot camp, you will come out with a decent chunk of cash. Focus on why your there, and become a Marine first. You won't have time to spend money on prostitiutes, and booze while your in boot camp.


  7. #7
    Marine Free Member roxieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Twentynine Palms, CA
    Posts
    24
    Credits
    10,012
    Savings
    0

    thanks.

    Thank you for the replies...they were helpful. I just wanted to make sure I would be receiving my pay as early as graduation and not after ALL my training. I have bills to pay off and wanted to know how soon I can access my boot camp pay to pay them off...assuming I have anything left after the trip back home and all the uniform costs. lol. Thanks again.


  8. #8

    Thumbs down dude

    Quote Originally Posted by roxieb View Post
    Thank you for the replies...they were helpful. I just wanted to make sure I would be receiving my pay as early as graduation and not after ALL my training. I have bills to pay off and wanted to know how soon I can access my boot camp pay to pay them off...assuming I have anything left after the trip back home and all the uniform costs. lol. Thanks again.
    I just told you will leave boot camp with pay, you will get paid while in boot camp, end of story. Go to boot camp, become a Marine. When you get home pay your bills. Trust me when I say you won't have time to worry about that shi$ Simple and to the point. Kill


  9. #9
    actually you start off in the hole... you actually pay for all your initial gear yourself... then when you graduate you get your initial clothing allowance to re-imburse that.

    you DO get paid through-out boot camp.

    you CAN make payments with your DIs help on certain matters, like one of my fellow recruits had to transfer money for the first month until his allotment started doing it automatically... so the DIs took him on the 1st and the 15th.... or the other way around.

    you CAN'T access any of that money at the PX... you just get what your DIs tell you, some people get just one item in large quatities for the gear locker while you can also get stationary stuff as well...

    you NEED to let your recruiters know you have pay concerns before you go so they can note that for your DIs to see.

    if you are interested in your pay you should look for the 2009 payscale and look for E-1 under 4 months.... if you got your promotion then move up (notice there is no 4 month PFC!!! that's a big pay raise!!)


  10. #10
    Marine Free Member roxieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Twentynine Palms, CA
    Posts
    24
    Credits
    10,012
    Savings
    0
    I see. That's great advice. Thanks.


  11. #11
    correction!!! I want you to know I am now not 100% sure about the clothing allowance... but you do pay for it yourself..... if someone can confirm or disprove the clothing allowance that would be great.


  12. #12

    Talking lol

    Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    actually you start off in the hole... you actually pay for all your initial gear yourself... then when you graduate you get your initial clothing allowance to re-imburse that.

    you DO get paid through-out boot camp.

    you CAN make payments with your DIs help on certain matters, like one of my fellow recruits had to transfer money for the first month until his allotment started doing it automatically... so the DIs took him on the 1st and the 15th.... or the other way around.

    you CAN'T access any of that money at the PX... you just get what your DIs tell you, some people get just one item in large quatities for the gear locker while you can also get stationary stuff as well...

    you NEED to let your recruiters know you have pay concerns before you go so they can note that for your DIs to see.

    if you are interested in your pay you should look for the 2009 payscale and look for E-1 under 4 months.... if you got your promotion then move up (notice there is no 4 month PFC!!! that's a big pay raise!!)
    lol, yeah I didn't realize he was actually looking to pay bills while in boot camp. Great advice SSgt Petzold. SF


  13. #13

    Talking Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    correction!!! I want you to know I am now not 100% sure about the clothing allowance... but you do pay for it yourself..... if someone can confirm or disprove the clothing allowance that would be great.
    Correct the clothing allowance does come out of your pay, I do believe that you do receive some kind of remembursment on that though. Not entirly sure but I do seem to recall a chunk of change for something along those lines.


  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by echo3oscar1833 View Post
    lol, yeah I didn't realize he was actually looking to pay bills while in boot camp. Great advice SSgt Petzold. SF
    Dude, remember what I told you bout attention to detail?
    That he is a she...and before you get any ideas, a married she.


  15. #15
    the name obviously isn't enough.... :P


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not Create Posts
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts