Mountain Warfare Training
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Mountain Warfare Training

My son goes to bridgeport for mountain warfare training next month.do all 03xx batallions eventualy get this training?reading other threads it seems batallions are picked at random.

keith

I don't know about being picked randomly but I do know that not all battalions go through the training. I think it's dependant on where the unit is scheduled to be deployed to. If they're going to Iraq, it makes more sense to get sent to Mojave Viper in 29 Palms, California because the environment is similar to what they will experience in Iraq. Likewise, Bridgeport offers a similar environment to what they might experience in the mountains of Afghanistan.

the commendant has said that he's going to shift training from Iraq environments to Afganistan environments... so yeah, I think all divisions will be sending their guys there whether or not they are going to afganistan.

see, we're scaling back in Iraq so there's no need to keep sending them for that training anymore... if you have all your infantry trained for afganistan it opens up your options on who to send.

Credits
    Savings
    thank you for your replies Marines, i was thinking the same thing about deployments.then again soon after he returns from bridgeport they will begin mojave viper. either way his batallion will be well trained.

keith

Sure sounds like it...best of luck!

There are a lot of infantry units that go there for training. As mentioned, it depends a lot on their next deployment and the time of year.

Credits
    Savings
    Just during my time with the Bn, they went to Bridgeport twice for the "summer" and once or twice for the "winter" package. Never went to Afghan. I think it is a little more complex than just the next intended deployment.

Credits
    Savings
    Is this the Mountain training shown on the Military Channel?

Credits
    Savings
    Did not see that one, ma'am but "Bridgeport" is the Mountain Warfare Training Center(MWTC) , so I would imagine yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sempermom66 View Post
    Is this the Mountain training shown on the Military Channel?
    One in the same.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    This time of year his training there will include snow shoes and skis. What a rush. Then a 96 in Reno ... even better. I envy him.

Credits
    Savings
    Located in California? If yes, there was an excellent program on it on the Military Channel that I watched with my son just a couple weeks ago. It would be worth checking their website to see if it is going to be rebroadcast anytime soon. Or it may be pirated somewhere on the Internet.

Credits
    Savings

Thumbs up A slippery slope indeed

Quote Originally Posted by Sempermom66 View Post
    Or it may be pirated somewhere on the Internet.

Tsk tsk-looks like the Marines are a bad influence on you already, ma'am. Today pirated TV shows, tomorrow you'll be stealing Humvees from the Army! (true story...)

Credits
    Savings
    He's going to have a hell of a good time. It takes a while to acclimate though...due to elevation. When he gets there, tell him to recommend a run up to the cross (he'll see it). It's only a few hundred yards, but he'll be out of breath by time he gets up to it. I've been twice and loved the experience. The instructors there are second to none and it's great for building unit cohesion.

Also, there are some special courses offered...I recommend volunteering for Assault Climbers. He'll learn a lot and it will help him get in the real AC course taught by SOTG later on.

On my last trip there, I actually got banned from the all ranks club for sneaking cases of beer out. Lot's of fun!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Always tempting to thump ones own chest and say look at me. My best friend in 1984 called me from Reno with stories about non stop skiing sleeping in snow caves climbing cliffs and all sorts of good stuff. I went and saw a recruiter the next day.

Thread Information