Biggest Misconception about Boot Camp - Page 6
Create Post
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Yes i was sent to RSP at T-13 for a condition I have since had corrected and am going back in. In fact it's been just over a year since I left, 080107.

I was just an idiot when I made my screen name and screwed it up.

Dan

So why did you leave bootcamp in the first place?

Edit: Never mind, you answered by the time I posted this question...However, I will say that having been there for two weeks doesn't exactly make you an expert. You saw a small taste of what you have coming to you. Enjoy Black Friday again though

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Misconceptions were mostly terminology throwbacks from civilian life.

There was no whiskey at all in the Whiskey Locker.

A Field Day was not the afternoon school sporting picnic like we had in 6th grade.

The PX Call was not to a nice indoor mall or Wal-Mart type building. I really was looking forward to browsing around for a nice watch.

The first Inspection, I really thought that they were some unrealistic perfectionist types. I learned fast after that misconception.

I understand 0231. My information is a year old and also was only from the first two training weeks just so everyone knows. Just thought I would add to the thread since most of the recruits hated firewatch.

Can't wait to do recieving for a second time..... But it's worth it!

My biggest misconception was the food really. I thought we would get whatever slop they threw on our tray. It was pretty damn good and I hear up at Pendleton it's way better. Every hygiene inspection I was already hungry and thinking about breakfast. Yes I was one of those kids who loved the school food back in high school. Haha.

Dan

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    When I was preparing for boot, I was already in tip top shape. I exceeded the physical ability requirements that I would be confronted with during boot.

However, I had no boot experience. My Marine friends just said, "you'll find out when you get there"..and did not elaborate.

I did not expect the mental games and the in-your-face style of the DI's, or not to such extrme extent.

Lastly- You'll find out when you get there

Credit

Quote Originally Posted by shpdt080701 View Post
    I understand 0231. My information is a year old and also was only from the first two training weeks just so everyone knows. Just thought I would add to the thread since most of the recruits hated firewatch.

Can't wait to do recieving for a second time..... But it's worth it!

My biggest misconception was the food really. I thought we would get whatever slop they threw on our tray. It was pretty damn good and I hear up at Pendleton it's way better. Every hygiene inspection I was already hungry and thinking about breakfast. Yes I was one of those kids who loved the school food back in high school. Haha.

Dan
    Well I got to give you credit man, with your dedication to wanting to be a Marine. Most people would have given up on going back for a second time. Piece of advise however. Use your experience as a learning tool, you know what is expected of you vs. the other 50+ recruits that will be with you. Be loud, and be heard. Become guide if you can, don't be afraid or intimidated. Pass you experiences along to your other recruits be a leader. With all of that being said, don't let your two weeks being there before go to your head. If you act like a know it all, and the DI's see it they will ride your a$$, and there will be hell to pay. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by PaidinBlood View Post
    think they were talking about ECHO company; just a shot in the dark. Anywho, I suppose a big misconception that I had about boot camp was that was where you became a Marine and I was wrong. You "earn the title" there but you become a MARINE much later and there is no magic moment in time when it happens. Fear not, poolees, you will be a Marine. Just saying walking the grinder don't mean ****. Kind of an ongoing process, I suppose...

who would have thought that he read his profile!!!!

thanks for the eye opener PIB.

Quote Originally Posted by SureShot12 View Post
    When I was preparing for boot, I was already in tip top shape. I exceeded the physical ability requirements that I would be confronted with during boot.

However, I had no boot experience. My Marine friends just said, "you'll find out when you get there"..and did not elaborate.

I did not expect the mental games and the in-your-face style of the DI's, or not to such extrme extent.

Lastly- You'll find out when you get there
    You talk like you've been there but your profile says your a Marine Friend, and its not even filled out. I'm pretty sure your name isn't A either.........

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunner614 View Post
    You talk like you've been there but your profile says your a Marine Friend, and its not even filled out. I'm pretty sure your name isn't A either.........
    Do a bit of reading on all the posts and catch up with us.

Field Day

Quote Originally Posted by yellowwing View Post
    Misconceptions were mostly terminology throwbacks from civilian life.

There was no whiskey at all in the Whiskey Locker.

A Field Day was not the afternoon school sporting picnic like we had in 6th grade.

The PX Call was not to a nice indoor mall or Wal-Mart type building. I really was looking forward to browsing around for a nice watch.

The first Inspection, I really thought that they were some unrealistic perfectionist types. I learned fast after that misconception.
    Yeah I always wondered why the hell they called it field day lol. Its not like were running around a track, or playing tag football lol.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowwing View Post
    Do a bit of reading on all the posts and catch up with us.
    lol
    Now I feel like a Jackass
    Lesson learned

Quote Originally Posted by echo3oscar1833 View Post
    Yeah I always wondered why the hell they called it field day lol. Its not like were running around a track, or playing tag football lol.

you must have forgotten scuzzing the deck!!!

oh yes, I think you remember that... then at the end of training there's that final field day where you bust out the emnu and re-paint the lines!!!

I really thought that was paint, not em-nu....

I'll have to admit.. it was nice going home to bottome deck, 3044 follow series, Lima Co, 3rd Bn after the rifle range... it really felt like home, all nice and cozy.

I even remember a guy named Dutra who took my Inspector gadget coat liner!!! bastard!!!

anyways.... I'm still without a liner and I still can't believe I remember boot camp so well... I'd say thats a misconception, since so many people (including myself) said we'd forget about that place.....

Please answer fast!!!

I'm a POOLEE leaving in 3 days and I have a big problem; I can't pee in front of people! I managed to pee at MEPS but it took me three tries, what happens if i don't pee this time? If I do manage to pee at MEPS, what if I don't at Parris Island? I've never done drugs and I am not worried about taking showers or anything like that, I also know that I will get used to it once we get placed in Platoons. I had the same problem during Cross-country, but once I got to know my team mates it got better. The only issue is peeing on the initial pee test! Please help with this, I am so excited for Recruit training but this one thing has me worried.

Thread Information