Biggest Misconception about Boot Camp - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by biesseb View Post
    Another thing, during first phase you'll be restless even in sleep. Your mind will constantly be running. So many times in first phase I would wake up in the night to find my body locked out at the POA. Come second phase that should wear off and you should find yourself sleeping through the night better except when you have to take a **** for the umpteenth time, damn pre-lights hydration.

Also be weary of the fact that D.I's love to single out recruits, certain ones more than others who they deem need a little more motivation per say. Anyway, they have no problem turning an entire platoon against one or two recruits...it's very easy..they just have to blame everything on you. I remember during hygiene inspection how the D.I's would accuse recruits of moving on line directly across from me who were clearly staying perfectly still.
    It is surprising to see who succeeds in the fleet and who fails. Turns out the recruits that get singled out the most in boot are the most likely to do well in the fleet. Not sure why that happens, but it happens......

it's 'cause the DIs say they are good Marines because they can follow orders.... the rest never tryed to excel.... they were too afraid to stand out that the DIs noticed and never said good things about them in front of mommy and daddy after it was all done.

turds were born turds... and raised as turds... you can't wrap a turd in tinfoil, put a fish hook on it and call it earrings... you just can't!! I don't care if you think Mugatu did or not.

There were a few in my platoon who acted like they were better than everyone else. They were often appointed guide and squad leader position. Most of them failed when they hit the fleet, guess they had trouble taking orders- had some bad attitude problems. Those who tried not to be noticed by the DIs but were often picked on by the DIs ended up doing well in the fleet. I guess they were good with not demanding credit for work and were willing to take orders without question. And finally those who were in the shadows throughout boot were in-between, usually on the borderline of success and failure in the fleet. Pretty interesting how that happens, I wonder if the DIs would've been surprised?....

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Sometimes I feel there are things that I would probably be better off not knowing before I went to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
    Anyone have any other misconceptions to share?
    I thought it was going to be like the movie "Full Metal Jacket" It didn't seem to be like that,,,,,But years later when I watch that Movie, It was like that!!!! especially the way Pvt. Snowball reported to his Sr. DI

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    well it's more like they pull you off... just be glad they won't ALWAYS make you sh!t two man per toilet....
    I believe you mean three, SSgt.

Quote Originally Posted by NoRemorse View Post
    I believe you mean three, SSgt.
    I've never seen it mentioned on here before so I just wonder if these poolee's understand the lack of privacy they get at all times?

So there is no misunderstanding, yes, you will end up using the same head with up to 5 other recruits at the same time. No, there are no doors on the stalls so you better get used to sitting there stairing at the guy across from you for the next 3 months everytime you do your business.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by 0231Marine View Post
    I've never seen it mentioned on here before so I just wonder if these poolee's understand the lack of privacy they get at all times?

So there is no misunderstanding, yes, you will end up using the same head with up to 5 other recruits at the same time. No, there are no doors on the stalls so you better get used to sitting there stairing at the guy across from you for the next 3 months everytime you do your business.
    That's going to suck. I can hardly bring myself to use a public bathroom. I guess I'll just look up. Whatever, that's the least of my problems, and if hundreds of thousands of recruits before managed to use the same ****ter, so can I.

My advise, Get religion. Sunday services are the only time you will get relief from the constant pressure. That hour of sanity saved my sorry azz. The in your face constantly, and the extreme (percieved) lack of compassion by the Drill Instructors shocked the f-ck out of me, and reality set in that I was in this for 11 weeks. I became a robot, that followed every command without thought. We didn't have family day when I was at San Diego. Were told to hang around after the Graduation Ceremony. I had no family at Graduation. So as soon as our platoon was dismissed, and I did my about face, I booked for my seabag and clothing bag, grabbed the first taxi I saw and headed for the airport. I didn't feel it was over till the plane took off the runway, and I looked out the window at Boots PTing next to the fence. Seeing MCRD falling away below me from the plane, was the next sweetest experience after actually Graduating. Boot Camp was 11 weeks of hell on earth. But it straightened my azz out, and made me a better person, and a Marine.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    roughest... for sure you're "rough".... toughest... after 3 months with no testosterone but from your DIs..... yeah, I'd say you ladies are "though"... other than that, no public comment...
    Think about it for a minute and start the fight in the Hooch.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleS333 View Post
    Im kinda scared of F***ing up, like not doing something when i need to or not being somewhere when i need to be, did any of you men do this to or is it not that hard to figure out?
    Don't stress out about it yet. Nobody and I mean nobody will be able to do anything fast enough, correctly, or up to the DI's standards for the entire span of bootcamp. They'll tell you what to do and you do it to the best of your ability. Just remember that everything the DI's do has a purpose and if you're getting screamed at, then sound off and move faster.

The first compliment you'll get is after you get your Eagle Globe and Anchor and your DI tells you congratulations. Until then, Game On!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    They have stalls around the crappers now? It is gettin soft,,,LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    They have stalls around the crappers now? It is gettin soft,,,LOL.
    Not at the rifle range barracks It's still open air out there!

the stalls never had doors...

but the rifle range really did have like 20 crappers all facing each other.... that's akward... especially when they across from you is looking at the opening between the seat and bowl to watch his crap come out... that was odd....

I am not a Marine yet, but I have been to MCRD SD.

Do not hate firewatch because you are tired. Love it. You do a little work (unless you are front post) and it's an hour of 'freedom' that you can relax and get your head straight. Take a few moments to look out the portholes, feel that cool air. Never think about how there are recruits about to graduate (even though you will think about it) but if you are T-10, think about the suckers JUST getting to the depot. Think about what you have accomplished and as much as it sucks...always push harder....it makes things easier.

I would always kill myself during the day pushing and running and learning and then when firewatch came and I felt that cool San Diego breeze and smelling the cleaner from the swabbie I could reflect on the day and say I did my best.

Chow to chow, Firewatch to Firewatch, Sunday to Sunday.

As a side note, for soem reason I always felt the need to shine the **** out of the rain room handles/circle things. I hated when they got soapy/scummy during hygiene. OCD maybe. Those ****ers shined every morning though.

Dan

Thread Information