Biggest Misconception about Boot Camp - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    Anyone have any other misconceptions to share?

Yea, that you're going to be trained to be a combat ready deadly mo-fo. Instead you become a fiercely disciplined warrior ready to be taught the skills of your trade, willing to do anything to accomplish the mission.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
    Anyone have any other misconceptions to share?
    I'll just tell you right now, family days and graduation days are the most sickening days you'll have as a recruit, especially if you have a squadbay over looking the parade deck. Many of times I've looked out those port holes seeing all the proud parents and excited new Marines longing for my day to come, my day to hug my parents and say "I made it!" What a wonderful day it is when it does finally occur..you almost began to think it'll never happen.

You'll be looking forward to second phase away from MCRD and then what? Oh that's right, there are recruits doing the crucible at Eidson range. Once again you'll be longing to be in their boots, trudging over the same ground they are knowing that all you have is the "Reaper" to conquer and your a week away from seeing familiar faces.

The point of this post is you'll be longing for home "Alot" kid, you cant prepare for it just know it's going to happen. Talking to other recruits during square away time and going to church really help to atleast for a short time break you away from the riggors of recruit training and allow you to be yourself.

I dont know about P.I. but in MCRD firewatch is sickening. Looking out the portholes at the skyline of San Diego knowing there are millions of people outside of your little world enjoying a normal life, eating at restraunts, going to parties, shopping, having sex. As Planes take off from San Diego airport you cant help but think of the people who aregoing anywhere else but this hell you've found yourself in. For a while things are peaceful as you ponder life outside your cage, your left alone to daydream about better times and good times you long to see as the DI's rest in they're house.

However, rest doesn't come easy as you know that with in hours chaos will once again become king and you'll have to push yourself again to make it just another day in this thing called Marine Corp. Bootcamp.

If I think hard enough I can go back to that first week or two of bootcamp during firewatch hours because that's when you do most of your thinking. I can remember the cold air coming through the portholes at night, the sound of aircraft taking off, the city lights. I can recall seeing an occasional officer or D.I. walking down below wondering where they were going, wondering if they had family and friends they were giong to go see. I remember during the early morning hours watching as the chow hall workers parked they're cars and got ready to prepare the mornings first meals. I remember watching as new recruits were marched to chow by the recieving D.I's, with the slow but echoing cadence of left....right....left...right... I remember looking across to the other squadbay to a third phase recruit seeing the confidence in his stance and sensing what he knew, soon he would see his family. However being a third phase recruit myself, I know that regardless of what stage of bootcamp your in the longing remains...rather you have 12 weeks left or that you are on Marine week. The longing doesn't end untill you look up in those stands and finally see smiles and waves directed at you, as a Marine you keep your composure but inside your jumping up in down like a little school girl.

Point being, you'll miss your folks kid...alot.

Credits
    Savings
    That truly was a great post... I'm glad to have started this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    I was 3rd, P.I. Don't remember being tougher,,,,, We thought 1st was tougher.
    And SSgt Pretzel,,,,,,, You talkin to me????? You know damm well you and I are hard headed Azzholes, and a confrontation wouldn't end pretty.

"Yea,,, Boot did that much for me,,,,never went back. I wonder how many Marines can say that."

;( <---- this is me crying..... that's what that means...

<---- that's a wink (no homo)

;P <---- that's being silly

:P <---- that's being childish

<---- friendly smile

<---- a smile that would make people think I'm an idiot (if done enough)

so, though it was aimed at you, it was to add to your post by pointing out that I was wounded by what you said... no harm brother.

edit: apparently some of these smilies pop up when you do them from the keyboard too.... well I hope you get the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by biesseb View Post

I dont know about P.I. but in MCRD firewatch is sickening.

you don't know about PI but in Marine Corps Recruit Depot firewatch is sickening????

seriously, you guys from san diego think everything revolves around you don't you?!

it's MCRD at PI too....

Quote Originally Posted by commdog7 View Post
    Negative, we are the ROUGHEST and the TOUGHEST!
    roughest... for sure you're "rough".... toughest... after 3 months with no testosterone but from your DIs..... yeah, I'd say you ladies are "though"... other than that, no public comment...

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    you don't know about PI but in Marine Corps Recruit Depot firewatch is sickening????

seriously, you guys from san diego think everything revolves around you don't you?!

it's MCRD at PI too....
    No disrespect Staff Sergeant, it was a small typo. I know that they are both called MCRD.

I wasn't attacking JUST you... and no disrespect taken.

I've heard that so many times I know it's not just you or a type-o/typo

I'm just pointing that out for everyone to read... so don't take offense.

Im kinda scared of F***ing up, like not doing something when i need to or not being somewhere when i need to be, did any of you men do this to or is it not that hard to figure out?

you will have a "walked by the hand" first phase... where EVERYTHING, from taking a dump to washing your balls will be directed to you...

yes they tell you when to wash your dirty little nut sack...... just watch out for meat gazers.

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    you will have a "walked by the hand" first phase... where EVERYTHING, from taking a dump to washing your balls will be directed to you...

yes they tell you when to wash your dirty little nut sack...... just watch out for meat gazers.
    That and taking shiats with D.I.'s screaming at you telling you to get off the john. Makes things incredibly unpleasant.

well it's more like they pull you off... just be glad they won't ALWAYS make you sh!t two man per toilet....

Another thing, during first phase you'll be restless even in sleep. Your mind will constantly be running. So many times in first phase I would wake up in the night to find my body locked out at the POA. Come second phase that should wear off and you should find yourself sleeping through the night better except when you have to take a **** for the umpteenth time, damn pre-lights hydration.

Also be weary of the fact that D.I's love to single out recruits, certain ones more than others who they deem need a little more motivation per say. Anyway, they have no problem turning an entire platoon against one or two recruits...it's very easy..they just have to blame everything on you. I remember during hygiene inspection how the D.I's would accuse recruits of moving on line directly across from me who were clearly staying perfectly still.

you can't see them leaning in towards you.........

we had the kid who was company high shooter... well he was snapping in in his sleep... prone of course.... I woke myself up saying aye, sir! really loud... we had a kid do lights light lights at 2 am... in his sleep.

all in all this happened over the entire course of boot camp.... it was fun.

just be aware of the 15min firewatch... you get woken up 15min prior to your firewatch... your first responsibility is to wake up your relief once you take post... then you walk around for 15min until you are relieved.... that will happen at least 2 times in an 8 hour sleep cycle... depending on how large your platoon is.

Thread Information