Biggest Misconception about Boot Camp - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    when I went I didn't have some stupid script.... I just told my parents that I'll call and they'll know I'm there... so when I called I said "dad, I made it here ok... I'll write a letter as soon as I can, bye." I heard a "ok, ..." I don't think he knew what to say at 3 in the morning.

I didn't write a letter first thing either... it was almost 3 weeks into it before I wrote a letter... oops.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    Where is South Point, Ohio? {I'm from Canton.} I hear a lotta Marines come from Ohio' Boot really hurts people from Ohio,,, being such mommas boys,,,,,,,,
    Sparkie, don't take this the wrong way, because I'm not trying to be a smarta**... South Point is actually the southern most point in ohio. If you look at the state on a map, in the bottom right where that little knob sticky out, South Point is as far south as you can be in Ohio.. You can actually see Kentucky right across the river. Huntington, WV is about a 15 minute drive.

lol, I'm definitely not a momma's boy though, I'm ready to get a way from here for a while.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    "lol, I'm definitely not a momma's boy though, I'm ready to get a way from here for a while."

Yea,,, Boot did that much for me,,,,never went back. I wonder how many Marines can say that.

Quote Originally Posted by NoRemorse View Post
    We'd hear horror stories about 3rd Bn and it was always a pipe dream for me. Some of the scariest DI's I had ever seen were from Kilo and Mike companies.
    I was in 3rd Bn Mike Co. Probably the same all over the Island, I think it has to be.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
    South Point is actually the southern most point in ohio. If you look at the state on a map, in the bottom right where that little knob sticky out, South Point is as far south as you can be in Ohio.. You can actually see Kentucky right across the river. Huntington, WV is about a 15 minute drive.

lol, I'm definitely not a momma's boy though, I'm ready to get a way from here for a while.
    Some of the Biggest Redneck's I knew in the Corps were not from where I'd expect (Georgia, South Carolina) Nope, they were from Southern Ohio!! I'm talking they drove Monster trucks and everything!!

Credits
    Savings
    lol, you have no idea just how true that is Corporal!

There is an insane amount of good ol "country grubs" as we call them here... I'm one more so than I'd like to think, but there are a lot worse than me out here. There were 98 kids in my graduating class, less than 400 in the whole school. We have our fun though, plenty of it.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Hell in my day it seemed like every other person you talked to was from either Ohio or Texas! Rednecks from Ohio and most of the Hispanics were from Texas! I thught I would be considered a redneck, being from Tennessee and all, but whew.....no way! Those Marines from Ohio were red from the neck all the way down to thier feet!

There was three categories of Marines then, the Rednecks, the Drug heads, and the rest of us! If you didn't fit in with one of the first two, you had to be a good bullsh!t artist to survive! Sort of like a politician I guess! LMAO!

As for the topic question, well we didn't get a phone call, not even a pr-printed post card to mail! We were simply given our address on about the third day we were there and told we could write home on Sunday, that was 6 days after we got there, then by the time we heard back, two weeks had passed. So Homesickness was worse than I expected. But I was 17 and away from home for the first time in my life.

After mail started coming in, I was fine. Spent the next 21 years away from home. That's why I write to recruits....I didn't get much mail, so I know what it's like to not get a letter during mail call in boot camp!

Sorry for the novel, I just got carried away remembering the GOOD OLD DAYS!

Dave

Credits
    Savings
    That's good stuff right there!

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Does 3rd BN have the reputation for being the toughest or something?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Books View Post
    Does 3rd BN have the reputation for being the toughest or something?
    NO! 4th BN is and EVERYBODY in the Corps knows it!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I was 3rd, P.I. Don't remember being tougher,,,,, We thought 1st was tougher.
    And SSgt Pretzel,,,,,,, You talkin to me????? You know damm well you and I are hard headed Azzholes, and a confrontation wouldn't end pretty.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    84,,,, 4th Btn has a lot of soft parts,,,,,,,,,,AMEN.

Quote Originally Posted by Marine84 View Post
    NO! 4th BN is and EVERYBODY in the Corps knows it!
    You got that right, RAH!

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    84,,,, 4th Btn has a lot of soft parts,,,,,,,,,,AMEN.
    Negative, we are the ROUGHEST and the TOUGHEST!

Thread Information