Biggest Misconception about Boot Camp
Create Post
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Credits
    Savings

Biggest Misconception about Boot Camp

Obviously, us poolees have some HUGE misconceptions about boot camp. I would like to hear from some of the former/present Marines on this site about what their biggest misconception about boot camp was. What were some things you weren't prepared for, or things you had heard about that weren't as bad as you might have thought? Any information shared is greatly appreciated...

We didn't do as much 'formal' PT as I had expected. I expected running all the time, 10+ miles per day, but we actually never ran more than 3 per day. You get out of it what you put into it. If you do the bare minimum during PT, you are only hurting yourself- you got to put out. 'Informal' PT was constant, such as quarterdecking and basic movements from place to place (speed and intensity).

I wasn't prepared for the in-your-face method of the Drill Instructors. Its something you have to experience first hand to understand the true terror of the moment. It is similar to a bull-dog about to rip your face off. Try to stay out of their way, you will find yourself doing everything you can to make them "happy"- you won't like their bad side.

Finally, the crucible isn't as bad as it is made out to be. The Drill Instructors do a good job at preparing you for the challenges, so if you can survive the Drill Instructors, you can survive the crucible. The Drill Instructors are your biggest challenge of all, as you will see.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I was not prepared for the 'Great Disconnect'. What you are there is not in the least what you have ever been before. Intensity, remorse, hopelessness, things like that, till you start "fittin in". Yes there is Salt in 2nd phase,,,,,,,,,,

Here's what I take away from a lot of questions that go along these lines. The mystique of boot camp is not what it once was. It was the hallowed training grounds where the streets are mountains and those mountains are the shoulders of those who passed before us. There's plenty you can prepare for and your recruiter and fellow poolees do an adequate job of getting you up to speed.

The more knowledge you've got in your grape the less time you'll spend having to learn it (you'll probably give this time up to help teach others what you had the prudence to learn beforehand). It's not about us Marines vs. you poolees. The fact of the matter is that you must learn certain lessons in boot camp. You have to learn them through hard experience and part of the experience is being there and being able to tell those sea stories to your brothers later on.

I applaud you guys for trying to be as prepared as possible but there's a point where you just have to shut your suck, cowboy up and do the thing.

On that note I'll actually respond to the question: My biggest misconception was that I'd be homesick or recalcitrant about enlisting in the first place. Everything is a blur and you'll quickly forget about most of that after Forming week.

You won't have time to concentrate on it because concentrating on anything besides what you were just ordered to do will cause you to fail and fail badly. Failing your drill instructors WILL destroy part of your world.

If you're getting homesick during squareaway time while writing letters home (you DID square your trash away first, right?) then just remember that the easiest way off the island is by graduating and becoming a Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    I was not prepared for the 'Great Disconnect'. What you are there is not in the least what you have ever been before. Intensity, remorse, hopelessness, things like that, till you start "fittin in". Yes there is Salt in 2nd phase,,,,,,,,,,
    Hey! You condensed my post! And posted it before I did!

As I was...

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    NoRemorse,,,,you did a fine job. But we both could say, everyones different,,,, the D.I.s ain't. Folks make it, folks don't. Get ready to put in all you got,,,not knowing where it's going.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    NoRemorse,,,,you did a fine job. But we both could say, everyones different,,,, the D.I.s ain't. Folks make it, folks don't. Get ready to put in all you got,,,not knowing where it's going.
    At the end of the day, those who went there honorably and were sent home can say they at least made the effort, gave their all and stepped on the yellow footprints.

The gangways are still hallowed and that big double hatch in front of Receiving still shines in the sunlight (do you have any idea how much work it takes to Brasso the dimpled surface of those EGA's?)

Old Glory and our Colors still fly proudly in front of that building that recruits are hustled through their first day on the Island.

My biggest misconception was that I didn't realize how much I'd miss the island after I left.

Quote Originally Posted by commdog7 View Post
    We didn't do as much 'formal' PT as I had expected. I expected running all the time, 10+ miles per day, but we actually never ran more than 3 per day. You get out of it what you put into it. If you do the bare minimum during PT, you are only hurting yourself- you got to put out. 'Informal' PT was constant, such as quarterdecking and basic movements from place to place (speed and intensity).

I wasn't prepared for the in-your-face method of the Drill Instructors. Its something you have to experience first hand to understand the true terror of the moment. It is similar to a bull-dog about to rip your face off. Try to stay out of their way, you will find yourself doing everything you can to make them "happy"- you won't like their bad side.

Finally, the crucible isn't as bad as it is made out to be. The Drill Instructors do a good job at preparing you for the challenges, so if you can survive the Drill Instructors, you can survive the crucible. The Drill Instructors are your biggest challenge of all, as you will see.

please note... when you talk about your experiences... post your battalion.

each battalion has it's own battalion commander who sets up their own agenda... and then when you factor in your company commander you have even more personalize agenda.

each Marine recieves the same training... though some put an emphasis on something different depending on the CO.

3rd Bn it out in the middle of nowhere and only a quick run to the confidence course... we PT'd a lot.... then, I think it was 2nd Bn was close to the main parade deck so they drilled alot... don't remember about the other one... think it was MC Knowledge... but I could have 1st and 2nd mixed up....

so depending on those factors you can have a completly different experience at PI (only place I know)....

but to stay on topic... I didn't think it was going to be as fun as it was.... I actually enjoyed boot camp, It was challenging and that was something I really wanted... so the humps...rifle range... abuse... you name it, because it was a challenge I enjoyed every min. of it.

but to stay on topic... I didn't think it was going to be as fun as it was.... I actually enjoyed boot camp, It was challenging and that was something I really wanted... so the humps...rifle range... abuse... you name it, because it was a challenge I enjoyed every min. of it.
    I concur

You are correct, SSgt. 2nd Bn is still by the drill field and we drilled ALL the time; and by all the time I mean when we didn't completely suck.

We'd hear horror stories about 3rd Bn and it was always a pipe dream for me. Some of the scariest DI's I had ever seen were from Kilo and Mike companies. That was before they took down more of the tree line near 3rd Bn. Actually, 3rd Bn barracks even look intimidating.

The "Great Disconnect" does deserved to be mentioned as well. You will have no contract with the outside for the first two weeks (other than the single phone call home upon arrival). You will miss family, food, and everything else you cherish in the outside world. If you are addicted to anything now (cigarettes, soda, junk food, etc.), then you should probably easy off that stuff because you won't have access to it once you're there. Some DIs will allow you a phone call home, but you have to earn it (my DI awarded us a phone call if we shot expert- sadly most of us who did shoot expert never got the phone call).

The DIs will teach you everything you need to know. They will assume you know nothing, and they will start you from the beginning. They will teach you how to eat, sleep, speak, and even how to pee.

Credits
    Savings
    Great posts so far Marines! I do need to say one thing, though. I'm not one of those guys who thinks he's gonna figure out every little bit of boot camp before I even set foot there, but I just like hearing from the Marines who have been there and done that. Thanks for sharing with us and please keep posting!

Quote Originally Posted by commdog7 View Post
    The "Great Disconnect" does deserved to be mentioned as well. You will have no contract with the outside for the first two weeks (other than the single phone call home upon arrival). You will miss family, food, and everything else you cherish in the outside world. If you are addicted to anything now (cigarettes, soda, junk food, etc.), then you should probably easy off that stuff because you won't have access to it once you're there. Some DIs will allow you a phone call home, but you have to earn it (my DI awarded us a phone call if we shot expert- sadly most of us who did shoot expert never got the phone call).

The DIs will teach you everything you need to know. They will assume you know nothing, and they will start you from the beginning. They will teach you how to eat, sleep, speak, and even how to pee.
    That phone call made it harder for me at the beginning. You're just a scared recruit in your civvies standing in line toe-to-heel waiting to read off a script and your parents hear a robot on the other side with a voice approximating yours.

Looking back it feels like part of the learning experience. You depend on your platoon to get things done. You're disappointed in yourself when you fail Big Daddy and he leaves for the day. You're mad at those recruits who are non-hackers. You're mad at yourself when you catch yourself slipping or looking nasty. You promise not to be "the one".

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    please note... when you talk about your experiences... post your battalion.

each battalion has it's own battalion commander who sets up their own agenda... and then when you factor in your company commander you have even more personalize agenda.

each Marine recieves the same training... though some put an emphasis on something different depending on the CO.

3rd Bn it out in the middle of nowhere and only a quick run to the confidence course... we PT'd a lot.... then, I think it was 2nd Bn was close to the main parade deck so they drilled alot... don't remember about the other one... think it was MC Knowledge... but I could have 1st and 2nd mixed up....

so depending on those factors you can have a completly different experience at PI (only place I know)....

I was with 4th BN, the hardest of them all, Rah!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Where is South Point, Ohio? {I'm from Canton.} I hear a lotta Marines come from Ohio' Boot really hurts people from Ohio,,, being such mommas boys,,,,,,,,

Thread Information