Nine Months Journey - Maternally Speaking
Create Post
    Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Nine Months Journey - Maternally Speaking

This is my first post. Until yesterday, I spent months reading the threads on this site like I'm preparing for a final exam in a language that I just picked up over summer vacation.

On Sunday, January 11, I did NOT say good bye to my two sons before they checked into their hotel--the night before they shipped together to MCRD SD for Boot Camp.

It was my birthday.

It's been over six months since my oldest son commented that he was considering the Marines seriously as his best next step. It didn't take long for him to recruit his brother from a dialogue with the Air Force.

And I learned early on that if you have to ask, "Why the Marines?" you probably won't get it.

At least not on the first take.

In half a year, I have enjoyed more candid conversations of depth with my sons than in the past five years... much of these chats began after one or the other of us read a specific account on this site.

All three of us were duly impressed by the professionalism and performance of Recruiting Officer Staff Sergeant V. Cortez.

And while I did not agree that both brothers should go to Boot Camp together--I encouraged them to separate to ensure that each one could apply himself independently to the challenges and opportunities for leadership that are a component in this process--I admitted that my opinion was only that.

And they chose to go together.

To a woman--to a mother--thirteen weeks is a trimester, a period of ongoing development and specialization so complex that it can blow your mind.

Coincidentally, my sons will complete this journey of BECOMING nine months after they began it...

I know it's a feminine prismatic lens, a sensibility that carries cooties in this environment of masculine honor and fraternity--

But I'm a mom first--

And in thirteen weeks--a Marine Mom.

My most sincere gratitude to the contributors and moderators on this site.

I look forward to a continuing dialogue with the Marines and Marine families I meet here.

Finally, a question of profound importance to me:

Is it "Hoorah?" Or "Oorah?"

Christina

Proud Mother of Two US Marine RECRUITS

I am sure that your son's (and you) have done their homework on becoming a Marine(s). When you go to bootcamp to watch them walk across the grinder so they can recieve the title Marine, you can say it any way you want.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Welcome Aboard Christina! Yes, this site is for you too. Ohh-rahh!

Marine Family Free Member ScottsMom's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Welcome to a great site. All of the Marines, Families, and Poolees on this site are very helpful and supportive. Good Luck to you and your two sons!!

Yep. Well written, concise and to the point. Welcome to the Journey, (because that's what it is....a journey), and to "The Corps".

And, it's "OOOH-Rah!". Often pronounced as more of a gutteral "uh-rah" than anything else, but in writing, "OOH-RAH" is the most pertinent and appropirate way of getting the point across.

v/r

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    COOTIES,,,,,,,,,LOL.

Welcome Aboard, Mom.

Credits
    Savings

Trying on "OOOH-Rah" for the first time...

Thank you for the clarification. I have added it, correctly formatted, to my email signature.

Meanwhile, I'll practice it in the car on my way to and from work...I'll have that gutteral thing mastered by April.

Christina

OOOH-Rah!

Credits
    Savings
    Hi Christina,

As has been said by others welcome! Not only are your sons about to undergo the Transformation, but you will as well.

Be prepared for changes in them that you could never expect - or even comprehend - and the growth of character is amazing.

You may think you are normal, BUT you have raised Marines!

Welcome Christina! Yeah, another one with 2!

This is an amazing journey, and unlike any other I have experienced. Hang on for the ride of your life.

Monica

Quote Originally Posted by Sempermom66 View Post
    This is my first post. Until yesterday, I spent months reading the threads on this site like I'm preparing for a final exam in a language that I just picked up over summer vacation.
    Nice initial post. I have posted regularly on this board since my son departed for P.I. in October. Since you have read the board already, you know that there are good folks all over it. I look forward to reading more of your experience and contributing what little I might know from my recent experience.

Welcome aboard. As the saying goes once a Marine always a Marine. I've been a Marine now for a litle over 50 years. Semper Fi Ohhh-Rah

Credits
    Savings

And on the Twelfth Day...

I've grown accustomed to the silence.

If I don't receive that mythical postcard they tell me will arrive via the USPS by next week, then I'll initiate a ring-a-ding with my sons' Recruiting Officer.

I am pleased that it is finally raining in California--It just didn't seem right to me that those new recruits were soaking up the sun in balmy 80-degree weather.

Perhaps that's a tad cruel.

I'll own it.

My impression is that this three month rite of passage is an all-encompassing crucible, a forging, a metamorphosis that requires not the mere sloughing off of scales--deep cuts are required, and while I recognize the role of the DIs as well as the role of creating a peer group for this process--I believe that ultimately each of my boys must make those cuts himself--to shed his pliable exoskeleton and become a man for the first time...

To become a marine.

To me, the shaggy head of a San Diego sun and sweet ocean breezes just doesn't mark the occasion quite like pouring rain--or the sand fleas on PI.

Even as I say all that, I'll admit that I broke down in tears last week in the frozen food aisle of the supermarket because I don't need to stock up on frozen waffles and burritos anymore.

It has been six months since my older son mentioned he was seriously considering the Marines.

I realize now that I have been sleep-walking through the politics of war with a vague notion of the concept of service, the "role" of the military in society.

I am ashamed about that.

But I am awake now.

To all the Marines and Marine families who share this site--you have my sincere gratitude.

C.

Mom, being that I am in the same general area as you I will say this I am happy that it is raining but at the same time that jsut makes traffic horrible.

I rather enjoyed you first post it was interesting to read and think about it from that perspective. Good luck to your boys and welcome aboard.

Welcome aboard and good luck to your Sons soon they will be Marines....it opens up a whole new world for them and you one with the biggest famialy in the world as one of my friends Mom would say when she sent a tape to him and knew we where all listening she would say hello to all her Sons and we would all say Hi Mom.... So hello Mom and welcome

Thread Information