Thoughts of a Marine's teenager
Create Post

Cool Thoughts of a Marine's teenager

Article ran : 06/15/2003
    Thoughts of a Marine's teenager
    By ALYX KNAPP
    LISTEN UP STAFF
    Alyx Knapp, Listen Up! staff member and rising junior at White Oak High School, hasn't seen her dad in nearly six months. Her father, Capt. James Knapp, who was born and raised in Jacksonville, left in February in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. During the height of the war, Alyx recorded her thoughts and feelings as the daughter of a deployed Marine. The result was "Thoughts of a Marine's teenager," which offers insight into the life of the local teen and how she has dealt with missing her father and the fear that he may never return.

Last week, Alyx, her mother Daria and her brother Caleb received word that James was on his way home. His scheduled arrival date is today - Father's Day.

The day that my dad left was actually a very awkward day for me. I am used to him leaving for deployments and although I almost always cry, it is usually due to the fact that I will soon miss him, not due to the fact that there is no guarantee that he will return in one piece, much less at all. I have, in the past, been reassured by the fact that the exercises that my dad goes through are always controlled.

But this time it was neither an exercise nor controlled. I was left with a strange feeling of uncertainty, and for the first time in my life, I was scared for my dad's life.

I have a recurring dream of being called out of class to be told the news that my father's camp was ambushed and they had no way of defense because they were all sleeping in their tents. It usually ends with me sliding down a wall in tears and my friend bringing me home to my mom where she is a nervous wreck as she answers the calls of all my concerned family members. I usually wake up when I realize that my big, goofy, comical daddy that I am so proud of will not be returning.

This dream usually leaves me in a state of numbness for the rest of the day, causing people to ask me what is wrong. I just tell then that I am tired, but it immediately makes me think of my dream again.

I am convinced that these dreams are a result of the fact that, until now, I haven't really said much about my dad being away. I have yet to tell anyone of these dreams for fear that they will cause others to worry, and that is the last thing that I want. The other day, a good friend of my mom's said that you aren't courageous in the absence of fear. Courage is when you can look fear in the face and still press on.

I have been able to vaguely tell my dad about these dreams, and when I do, all I am looking for is for him to say that he is fine and to not worry. Just that little bit of assurance is enough for me. I am blessed that my dad is a communications officer, meaning that his job includes computers and e-mails. I send him e-mails as often as possible, and even though I am aware that it may not always be possible for him to e-mail me back, it means something to know that in a way he is still a part of my everyday life. I can't imagine what it must be like for my friends who haven't heard from their dads since they left.

Recently I was able to see President Bush speak at Camp Lejeune. I was less than 20 feet away from the man that not only leads our country but is also someone who I personally admire. It was invigorating to hear the president of the United States announce how proud he is of our Marines and to remind us of why our men and women are in Iraq.

I, along with thousands of other people, was reminded of the courage and bravery that every United States Marine carries. Not just the speech, but the whole experience sparked a new sense of pride and patriotism in the hearts of the families of the deployed.

It helped me to hear that someone in the limelight was supporting this cause. It seems as though many of today's "stars" are not supportive of the war at all, and I find it ironically heroic that our men and women are there fighting just so people here can have the right to criticize them for doing so.

It seems like just yesterday those same people were singing the national anthem and being just as patriotic as the next person. I guess that they have all forgotten what it felt like that day in September.

This deployment has by far been the most difficult to get through, but I believe it would have been a lot harder if not for the help of my church and the strength that God gives me and my family each day. The sacrifices that we, as military families, make each day are great, but the fact that we can say that we are part of what makes this nation great is well worth those sacrifices.

I will continue to keep our uniformed men and women in prayer, and when they finally return and Iraq has its freedom, I will see them, my dad included, for what they truly are - heroes.

Alyx Knapp is a rising junior at White Oak High School.

Sempers,

Roger

Words of Wisdom;
    I, along with thousands of other people, was reminded of the courage and bravery that every United States Marine carries. Not just the speech, but the whole experience sparked a new sense of pride and patriotism in the hearts of the families of the deployed.

This deployment has by far been the most difficult to get through, but I believe it would have been a lot harder if not for the help of my church and the strength that God gives me and my family each day. The sacrifices that we, as military families, make each day are great, but the fact that we can say that we are part of what makes this nation great is well worth those sacrifices.
    Unquote

Than about the "stars"? in Hollywood

It seems like just yesterday those same people were singing the national anthem and being just as patriotic as the next person. I guess that they have all forgotten what it felt like that day in September.
    Unquote

Semper Fidelis Alyx Knapp
    Ricardo

Credits
    Savings
    Sounds like this kid is One Of The Few, If they write this way now,just think what can be done with a little more experieance in life, she deserves a well done.

Thread Information