Other Voices: Marines on the front line have no blacked-out days
By Don Meyers,

This is a quick note to acknowledge Alpine Meadows’ respectful generosity toward our active military personal. Those who are lucky enough to come home over the Christmas and New Year holiday period are honored at Alpine Meadows with a free All Day Lift Ticket.

In contrast, I called Squaw Valley and asked what their policy was regarding active military personnel. I was informed it would be $83 for an all-day lift ticket and that the holiday season was blacked out. Very disappointing to say the least.

I wonder how their policy would sit with the “Tenth Mountain Division?” I don’t believe service personnel have blacked-days during their enlistment.

Here’s a short quote from a Marine’s letter that puts in perspective some of their working conditions with no blacked-out days.

From a recon Marine in Afghanistan:

It’s freezing here. I’m sitting on hard, cold dirt between rocks and shrubs at the base of the Hindu Kush Mountains along the Dar ‘yoi Pomir River watching a hole that leads to a tunnel that leads to a cave. Stake out, my friend, and no pizza delivery for thousands of miles.

I also glance at the area around my backside every ten to fifteen seconds to avoid another scorpion sting. I’ve actually given up battling the chiggers and sand fleas, but them scorpions give a jolt like a cattle prod. Hurts like hell. The antidote tastes like transmission fluid but God bless the Marine Corps for the five vials of it in my pack.

Saucy Jack

Recon Marine in Afghanistan

Semper Fi

Alpine Meadows, we thank you for your respectful generosity. Your thanks comes from a proud father and enlisted son back from Iraq.

Don Meyers, a.k.a – Bilge Rat, lives in Grass Valley.

Ellie