Service members rehearse inauguration

By Julia LeDoux

Published: January 11, 2009

Marines from Quantico will be among those providing ceremonial support for President-elect Barack Obama’s inauguration next Tuesday.

“One of the reasons I volunteered for this is it’s such a historical event. What we do here will go down in history, and I can always tell the kids that’s something I was part of. Every Marine has that same mentality,” said Chief Warrant Officer Jeremy Willoughby, who is normally assigned to the Marine Corps Network Security Center at Quantico.

Willoughby and approximately 3,000 other service members gathered before dawn Sunday at the Capitol for a dress rehearsal of inaugural ceremonies. Army Staff Sgt. Derrick Brooks of Fort Meade portrayed Obama during a faux swearing-in ceremony.

“I met all the height requirements, I’m the same ethnicity, and I’m just proud to be part of this historical moment,” said Brooks, 26, a member of the Armed Forces Inaugural Committee who works at Fort Meade.

Following the run-through of the swearing-in ceremony, Brooks and the military stand-ins for Michelle Obama, Vice President-elect Joe Biden and his wife, Jill, walked down Pennsylvania Avenue.

Approximately 388 Marines stood at attention along the parade route as the stand-ins walked by.

“This is the first rehearsal we’ve done for these Marines, so really what they’ve done so far is formations, briefs, accountability, letting them know what they’re going to be doing out here,” Willoughby explained.

Ninety percent of the Marines who are participating in the inaugural parade are volunteers, Willoughby continued.

“Our mission is to provide 100 percent ceremonial support to the U.S. president. Both outgoing and incoming,” he added.

More than 5,000 men and women in uniform who are providing military ceremonial support to the presidential inauguration, a tradition that dates back to George Washington’s 1789 inaugural.

“It’s a combination of a change of government and a celebration,” said Navy Lt. Mike Billips of the Armed Forces Inaugural Committee. “This will be the first time that we will greet our new commander in chief.”

The dress rehearsal also tested nearly every part of the inauguration to make sure everything goes well, including a sound system that will be used to broadcast messages to the crowds expected at the National Mall and along the parade route.

Staff writer Julia LeDoux can be reached at 703-369-5718.

Ellie