3/4 has special visit from MOH recipient and 3/4 Association
Create Post

Exclamation 3/4 has special visit from MOH recipient and 3/4 Association

3/4 has special visit from MOH recipient and 3/4 Association

Published: Friday, January 9, 2009 3:25 PM CST
    Lance Cpl. Monica C. Erickson

Combat Correspondent

Every year 3rd Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment Association representatives visit the Combat Center to present the battalion’s noncommissioned officer of the year with an NCO Sword.

This year, in support of his old battalion, John J. McGinty, a Medal of Honor recipient and 3/4 Association member, attended the event and spoke to the Marines about the history of their battalion at the Sunset Cinema Jan 6.

McGinty received his Medal of Honor for courage under fire. Despite his own wounds, he rallied his Marines and charged through enemy fire to rescue two squads of Marines. Using his pistol, he killed five oncoming attackers and adjusted artillery and air strikes within 50 yards of his position, killing more than 500 enemy soldiers.

Sgt. Mario Desalvo, section leader, Weapons Company, 3/4, was the recognized Marine during the ceremony.

“It was an honor to receive the sword from a Medal of Honor recipient,” said Desalvo, a Broomfield, Colo., native. “It was more significant and helped show me what I strive to be.”

Desalvo said he proved to be the NCO of the year by putting 100 percent into his job and Marines.

“A true test of any leader is the performance of junior Marines in the absence of their leader,” said Desalvo. “My Marines proved that saying.”

Before the ceremony, McGinty and the association members had the opportunity to tour the Combat Center and view all the changes the base has gone through throughout the years.

The Phelps Hall dining facility was the first stop for the visiting veteran’s tour.

They had an opportunity to eat lunch with enlisted Marines, discussing changes in the Marine Corps since the Vietnam War.

“I’m really excited to have the opportunity to come out and see the battalion, especially the great Marines from Kilo Company,” said McGinty, a Boston native who served as a staff NCO with Company K in Vietnam. “I have been to Iraq and Afghanistan to help boost moral to the service members, but this is my first chance to actually be with the Marines from my old battalion.”

After lunch, the group made their way to a shooting demonstration by Laser

Shot, which gave the former Marines an opportunity to fire modified carbon dioxide-powered weapons at a simulation screen. Each member of the association had a chance to fire on different simulated terrains, scenarios, and targets.

Cpl. Edman Escallada, a team leader for Company L, 3/4, who helped prepare the simulation for the small tour, said he was honored to be able to meet and talk to a Medal of Honor recipient from the same battalion.

“Any Medal of Honor recipient is an honor to meet, but to be able to talk to one from the same battalion as me made it even better,” said Escallada, an Indio, Calif., native. “It is especially good for the Marines to be able to see the comparison of what they do and what he has done. He is showing them that they can be great just like him.”

Since the Marine Corps did not have the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program during the Vietnam War, the last stop of the tour consisted of the veteran getting a MCMAP demonstration from Staff Sgt. William Loushin, a platoon sergeant and a second degree black belt with 3/4.

Loushin impressed the veterans by taking down four opponents within minutes while using different MCMAP techniques.

At the end of the day, McGinty signed autographs and answered questions about his time in the battalion while leaving the Marines with a glimpse into their battalion’s past, and knowing they are thought of and cared for.

Photo by Lance Cpl. Monica C. Erickson

John J. McGinty, a Medal of Honor recipient and 3/4 Association member, presents Sgt. Mario Desalvo, a section leader with Weapons Company, 3/4, with a noncommissioned officer sword at the Sunset Cinema after Desalvo was announced NCO of the year for the battalion Jan. 6.

Ellie

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	news02.jpg‎
Views:	116
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	6571  

Thread Information