Most Inspirational story you can possibly read as a Poolee
Create Post

Most Inspirational story you can possibly read as a Poolee

His expression was a perfect 50/50 split -- half shock and half excitement as his Parris Island drill instructor entered his home and presented him with a new set of Dress Blue's, February 3.

House calls are not commonplace in the Marine Corps, but for someone with as much heart and dedication as Pvt. Timothy Arathuzik, an exception was made.

The dress uniform was a token of appreciation from Arathuzik's training regiment, the battalion and his company. A joint effort was made from the Marines he served with to make him an honorary "honor graduate" of the platoon.

Gunnery Sgt. Joseph Yantosca, Parris Island drill instructor, admits that while most people in his platoon were giving 110 percent during recruit training, Arathuzik was putting in 175.

During his second week of training, Arathuzik began having severe headaches that were causing some difficulty during training. He went to the base doctor who diagnosed him with a severe sinus infection and returned him to his platoon.

Several days after taking medication for the infection and experiencing no ease from the headaches, Arathuzik decided to continue through the training despite his pain.

At night, the pain would become so severe, he had to elevate his head with his pack, to ease the pressure.

In the morning, Arathuzik would often awake with dizzy spells that would last throughout a good part of the day. His determination, however, would not allow him to quit. He wanted to become a Marine his entire life and nothing was going to stand in the way of his dream.

As training progressed, Arathuzik continued to march forward despite the increasing severity of his pain. He participated in everything from martial arts training to the gas chamber without hesitation, because he wanted to become a Marine.

It was not until the rifle range that Arathuzik hit a major stumbling block. He wrote to his parents, telling them that he was having a more-than-difficult time on the range and he would explain when he returned home.

During qualification day on the range, he was unable to get the minimum score needed to advance to the next stage of training. He was then put through a remedial class and he eventually passed, but with great difficulty.

He later told his parents that his problem was not due to lack of trying or instruction on the range. His difficulty was the direct result of blurred vision, dizziness and increasing head pain each and every time he pulled the trigger.

Just before going to the final stage of recruit training known as the Crucible, one of Arathuzik drill instructors noticed the entire area around his right eye was swollen. Arathuzik explained that he believed the problem was a reoccurring bruise from when he was beaten up and mugged in college. The swelling was in the same spot, causing the same pain and he would be all right if they would just allow him to continue with training.

The drill instructors forced Arathuzik to go to the medical battalion despite his desire to finish the last week of training. Arathuzik was then referred to a hospital where they finally found the cause of his illness ... he had a tennis ball-sized cancerous tumor forming in his sinuses that was pushing into the frontal lobes of his brain.

When Arathuzik heard the news he said he wanted to vomit. He could not believe this was happening, and he could not believe they were not going to allow him to finish the final week of training.

"It was hard, because I had headaches really bad," admits Arathuzik after recruit training. "It would have been a lot better if I didn't have cancer. I wanted to graduate and I wanted to become a Marine."

Despite the fact that Arathuzik did not complete the final week of training, he was retired as a Marine with 100 percent disability because he was on active duty when he entered recruit training.

"All he had left to do was to take his final physical fitness test, the practical application and the Crucible," said Yantosca. "He would have been perfectly capable of doing all that stuff. He was physically fit, he had no problems going on the hikes and he would have no problem with the practical application. As drill instructors we know what the recruits are capable of and he was incredibly capable of qualifying in all those things.

"He was putting forth more than 100 percent; having headaches everyday and what he was going through inside his body. He was probably giving 150 or 175 percent of himself every single day. Some guys can't do it with nothing wrong with them. They never make it through training. He made it through and look how he made it through."

Not long after the diagnosis, Arathuzik was sent to a Washington D.C. hospital to have surgery and begin treatment of the tumor. It was during this time Arathuzik fell into a coma. Doctors did not give his family much hope of recovery and Arathuzik was read his last rights, two times.

But, the same never-quit attitude that allowed him to progress through recruit training, also allowed him to recover from the coma.

"He's always been a tough kid," said Paul Arathuzik, Timothy's father. "He has always liked the discipline. He played football and he thought the coaches weren't tough enough."

"My hat is off to him for going on and pushing himself having the headaches he was having," said Yantosca. "Some kids would have tapped out ... even though he didn't finish the last week of training, he has what the Marine Corps wants in his heart."

Today, Arathuzik is at a halfway point for his cancer treatment. The cancer has taken away most of his hearing and vision in one eye. But, if the past serves any insight to the future, this determined Marine will overcome this obstacle just as he overcame recruit training and win the hardest battle of his life.

---------------I took this post from another thread but it was closed so i could not reply there.

All I have to say is read this and aspire to be just like this young man. I literally shed a tear reading this story. Not because it was sad but simply because of the PRIDE and determination this young man had to become a Marine.

Being a Poolee myself right now i can say im literally inspired to push myself to be better until i cant push anymore, AND THEN push even more. This story exemplifies to me what it takes to be a Marine and I will think of this story every day of my training.

I know it is not appropriate to say oohra to this young man because I am not a marine. But I will say this. He has just become one of the biggest heros of my life. I cant even fathom to think of what he would have accomplished as a Marine. I do know I will aspire to have the heart, courage, honor, and discipline that this young man had every day.

Tim Arathuzik R.I.P and know young men your age are still inspired by you! I know I am.

Wow, talk about inspirational. The kid has more balls than anyone I know. These kinds of people are exactly what the Corps is looking for.

I'm sure we all know the story of Cpl. Jason Dunham jumping on a grenade to save two of his fellow Marines, and friends. This is most inspiring to me because It shows what a Marine is willing to do to save his buddies, something not many other people understand.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thank you for the post. Those of us on this site that remember Tim, recall that his SDI presented him with a full set of Dress Blues. He gained so much weight before he passed away that he could not wear them, Several of us Marines, on this site, donated money to buy him a new set that would fit him when he was buried, with FULL Military Honors (Well deserved)!

It gives me great pleasure to have donated to the cause and to know that Tim is "Walking Post" at the Pearly Gates with Chesty himself! GOD rest his soul.

Semper Fi Tim, RIP! You will never be forgotten!

Dave

By coincidence I found the original thread on leatherneck.com on a random google search and I was just blown away by the story as I'm sure just about anybody would be.

I came across another piece of unfortunate news, however. Tim's mother has just passed away recently.

http://www.telegram.com/article/2009...S01&source=rss

NORTHBOROUGH — Jeanne L. (Martin) Arathuzik, 52, a lifelong resident Northborough died Friday, January 16, 2009 at home surrounded by her loving family following a long illness.

Jeanne is survived by her loving husband of 29 years, Paul S. Arathuzik of Northborough; a daughter, Christine Arathuzik and a son, Stephen Arathuzik of Northborough; her mother, Camille (Wall) Martin of Northborough; two sisters; Mary Ethier of Grafton and Patricia Cox of Douglas; four brothers; Thomas Martin of Boylston, William Martin of Newburyport, James Martin of Northborough and Arthur “Chip” Martin of South Windsor, CT.; as well as many nieces and nephews. She was predeceased by her son, Timothy Arathuzik, who died in December 2007. Jeanne was the daughter of the late Arthur R. Martin, Sr.

Jeanne graduated from Algonquin Regional High School in 1974. She attended Anna Maria College, including studies in Spain and Mexico, and graduated in 1978 with a degree in Spanish. Jeanne went on to receive her Masters in Education from Worcester State College. She was a Spanish teacher at Algonquin Regional High School for 15 years. Jeanne was a dedicated teacher who loved teaching and was loved by all her students. She had many high school yearbooks dedicated to her, served as Student Advisor for many groups, but her greatest honor was serving as a commencement speaker for many of the graduating classes at Algonquin. She will be truly missed by her students, past and present, as well as her colleagues. Jeanne loved to travel abroad on student trips that were sponsored through the high school, as well as gardening. She was a member of St. Rose of Lima Church.

A funeral Mass will be held Wednesday, January 21, 2009 at 10:00 a.m. in Saint Rose of Lima Church, 244 West Main Street, Northborough. Burial will follow in Howard Street Cemetery. Calling hours will be held Tuesday, January 20, 2009 from 4:00 to 8:00 p.m. in Hays Funeral Home, 56 Main Street (Rte. 20) Northborough. In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made in her name to: St. Rose of Lima Church Youth Ministry, P.O. Box 685, Northborough, MA 01532. For online condolences or directions please visit
    RIP to them both. The Marine that said, in another thread, that any time you're having a bad day to just read Tim's story is dead on. I have it favorited and sent it to everyone I know.

~Robert

I think I speak for all poolee's here. Can the mod make this a sticky? This is an absolutely awesome story of a guy who just refused to quit.

Thread Information