How old were you when you enlisted ? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    17 in Boot camp turned 18 the next year with first unit F2/12 on Oki 17 was so fun back then

Quote Originally Posted by SureShot12 View Post
    Absolutely nothing wrong with that, Enigmatic. I'm 25 and just started a new course of study. I did the same thing when I enlisted, Enigmatic. I left school and was focused on only the phase of challenges I would be confronted with by the Corps.

The topic of this thread was enlistment age, though, we kind of got off topic. When I went to boot we had one recruit/now Marine, that was 31.

I just wanted to know everyones age at enlistment time, because I went to boot 7 years ago....Thats like over 1/3 of my life ago
    Fair enough. I was 19 myself. Fresh outta high school. Of course, I enjoyed high school so much I had been there for 5 years

Quote Originally Posted by SureShot12 View Post
    Absolutely nothing wrong with that, Enigmatic. I'm 25 and just started a new course of study. I did the same thing when I enlisted, Enigmatic. I left school and was focused on only the phase of challenges I would be confronted with by the Corps.

The topic of this thread was enlistment age, though, we kind of got off topic. When I went to boot we had one recruit/now Marine, that was 31.

I just wanted to know everyones age at enlistment time, because I went to boot 7 years ago....Thats like over 1/3 of my life ago

Fair enough. I was 19 myself. Right outta high school. Course, I loved high school so much I spent five years there

Enlisted at 22, almost went straight out of highschool but put it off. Was glad I did for a number of reasons.

it was the chicks in college wasn't it? that's one of your reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by sscjoe View Post
    Enlisted May 1975 after getting my Associates Degree. Arrived MCRDPI Dec 1975 at 19.
    I also enlisted in May 1975, specifically May 8, 1 day after Congress declared the VietNam era over, and 2 days after my 18th birthday (didn't want mommy or daddy's sigs,). Got off 'his' bus at MCRDSD at 18 yrs, 1 mo, 20 days.

I was 22 when I left in 07Nov05. I'm 23 now. I wish I would have went in when I was 18. I always wanted too, however when I graduated high school my brother was a Sgt over in Iraq. He always said he did enough fighting for the both of us. I joined up as soon as he got out.

The perk to joining this old though is that you can drink, and not get worried about getting njp haha.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinC View Post
    The perk to joining this old though is that you can drink, and not get worried about getting njp haha.

Aint that the truth haha. I joined when I was 18 as well and if you drank you got a hotel off base like the legendary motel 6 in 29 palms where all the boots would get stupid and and pass out. I remember being a Cpl at 20 and I quit drinking! No way was I going to lose my rank over a beer while I was in a grunt unit, I held on to my Cpl Rank like I held on to my M16A2 service rifle Devil! OH-RAH! haha..

But the advantage of joining early is the experience of being a young dumb single Marine and then rank when it comes time your ready. I knew a Marine I joined at 29 and had to listen to a 25 year old Sgt, and thats just the way it goes. I always told my Marines you dont see people age on their collars, you see their rank, or in some case the trail of salt wherever you walked lol jk...

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Enlisted in DEP at 17, went to boot camp at 18, saw the elephant at 19.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Joined at 17.turned 18 at ITR

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    it was the chicks in college wasn't it? that's one of your reasons.
    Lol, I actually put off college until I got into the Corps. I did however have a full time girlfriend and I had to help my family build they're new house. This time also gave me the chance to bond more with my now adopted father and also my grandfather who became ill while I was at boot. He's now passed away. Had I been away during that time, I don't believe it would of been good for our family..also I don't think I was in the right stage mentality to tackle boot camp.

I was 16yrs old when I joined the DEP my junior year and then shipped off to Parris Island upon my graduation when I was 17.I remember spending my 18th birthday up on SDI SSGT.Clancy's Quarter Deck.

Enlisted the following Monday after my Seventeenth birthday and arrived @Parris Island 9/29/65.One of the best decisions I could have made!

Enlisted at 21, I'm an Army brat, and my dad had always tried to push me into the military. When he passed away I decided to join in rememberance of him, that's when I chose to prove that I could be the best of the best. In hind sight I wished I had listened to him and joined sooner.

you starting to feel extra crusty now instead of later??

Thread Information