Lateral move from one branch to the other?
Create Post

Lateral move from one branch to the other?

I keep hearing this kind of information passed around, that it is possible to make a lat move from one branch to the other as long as the service your currently in lets you go and the other branch picks up your contract. I've also looked this up online and have seen it discussed to varying degrees.

Who has heard of this? Is there any truth to it, and has anyone ever heard of it being done?

I've been in about a year now and am set to deploy in Feb. When I get back that'll be about another year down. Time in the Corp. is flying fast. However I've considered what it would be like to lat move from the Marines to say the Airforce but I would only do it if I could get stationed close to home. Yea I'm a boot and I'm homesick make all the jokes you want.

Hate to come across as a traitor, I'll always bleed Marines but curiosity has gotten the best of me so I must inquire of others.

I heard that is was possible but I dont know Ive never considered another branch maybe another Marine can help more than my post. Good luck on whatever you do. SEMPER FI!

Yes it is possible, and no you will not have to go through the other services Boot Camp. You have to EAS from the Marine Corps to be able to do this first. Also in some case you MOS will transfer over to another service with a waiver. If you chose to do something different you will have to attend that branches MOS school. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Back a long time ago, we had a kid who transfered to the army, to be a helo pilot. I know it took about a year to getthe paperwork done, and to get him a slot at rucker. He did leave so I guess it worked

The Navy and Army set up a program called Blue to Green for Sailors that have at least 3 years left on their enlistment to transfer to the Army and even have the Rate to MOS conversion somewhat figured out so that you are put into an MOS that is most similar to your Rate. I and a few friends have considered it but I don't believe anyone has really followed through with it since the Navy has made IA tours with the Army mandatory and we all know that we have it all around better in the Navy with a more keen leadership structure and the fact that the Navy probably won't try to **** you over as bad as the Army would on certain career aspects.

Thanks for the reply Integrity, I see your stationed at NAS Pensacola. Are you in school or do you have other priorities there?

Anyway, Have you heard if this program is available to Marines also? Apparently there was a Marine back when I was in school that got transfered to the Army but I believe he was also in some trouble and had a staff sergeant dad who was in the Army. However I'm not entirely positive about the accuracy of that account.

Regardless I'll be proud to finish my enlistment as a Marine anyway. I figure there are rare instances where a Marine could transfer but it's probably a shot in the dark given how much money the Corps. put in to training each individual marine.

Talk to an AF recruiter, but the AF does not recruit prior service unless they held a critical MOS. I already tried that a few years back.

The AF is not in dire need of recruits. They have high retention rate and plenty of people willing to join.

The reason why the AF does not recruit prior service is because it takes up a slot of an airmen which can re-enlist. The AF would rather re-enlist seasoned Airmen rather than recruit prior service.

Any service member can switch branches as long as they have prior approval from their chain of command. But talk to the respecting recruiter of the branch you wish to join first.

Thanks Sergeant,

I'll probably talk to a recruiter when I get back from Iraq, I've been looking forward to this deployment for a while.

I would only do it if I thought I could get stationed near the fam. otherwise it would be a futile thing to do.

I was at one time attached to a unit where an 0621 and 0861 were both former Air Force Security Forces, the 0861 got his grandfather's help (he was a retired General) in doing an inter-service transfer, I have no idea how the other guy got his transfer. They were both REALLY good NCO's and you would hardly know that they had just made a big adjustment. I believe they were both promoted in Iraq. I think it would have certainly put them behind other's in terms of promotion, but not so much that they were completely behind the power curve.

Thread Information