Meu
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meu

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Meu

My recruiter and I were talking about them today and I want to know more.
    How do they work? What Marines are in them? What is life like at sea?
    Anything any Marine knows about the topic, I'll listen.

EDIT: sh!t...the topic should be MEU

Google is your friend.

what is a MEU for some of us poolies who have no idea what you are talking about ... me.

Here is a quick excerpt from wiki on the MEU

A Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU, pronounced M-YOO), formerly called Marine Amphibious Unit (MAU), is the smallest Marine Air-Ground Task Force in the United States Marine Corps. [1] Each MEU is an expeditionary quick reaction force, deployed and ready for immediate response to any crisis. [2]
    The Marine Expeditionary Unit is normally built around the building blocks of a MAGTF: a reinforced Marine infantry battalion is the ground combat element, the aviation combat element is a composite helicopter squadron, a battalion-sized logistics combat element, and a command element. Troop strength is about 2,200, commanded by a colonel, and is deployed from an amphibious assault ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Fender104 View Post
    what is a MEU for some of us poolies who have no idea what you are talking about ... me.

Marine Expeditionary Unit

Quote Originally Posted by FullMetalFuture View Post
    Here is a quick excerpt from wiki on the MEU

A Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU, pronounced M-YOO), formerly called Marine Amphibious Unit (MAU), is the smallest Marine Air-Ground Task Force in the United States Marine Corps. [1] Each MEU is an expeditionary quick reaction force, deployed and ready for immediate response to any crisis. [2]
    The Marine Expeditionary Unit is normally built around the building blocks of a MAGTF: a reinforced Marine infantry battalion is the ground combat element, the aviation combat element is a composite helicopter squadron, a battalion-sized logistics combat element, and a command element. Troop strength is about 2,200, commanded by a colonel, and is deployed from an amphibious assault ship.
    That's going to be the best info. Unless their are Marines on here that have been with MEU to give personal experiences. My brother went to MEU after his tour in Okinawa, and got lucky because the guy that was suppose to go, couldn't because of medical reasons. He stayed with the MEU from 98-2001. Loved every minute of it.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Google is your friend.
    True. But I was looking for info from people that have been in one.

I spent six months shipboard with MEU Service Support Group 24 (back when they had those things) with the 24th MEU November 98-May 00. USS Nashville.

Ports/Places visited:
    Morehead City, NC
    9 days straight transit to Adriatic Sea for Embassy Evac
    Albania (Embassy Evac, Tirana)
    Haifa, Isreal
    Malaga, Spain (Christmas & New Years)
    Lisbon, Portugual
    Sierra del Retain, Spain
    Souda Bay, Crete (Greece)
    Adriatic Sea (Gator Squares for Operation Allied Force...WITH beer ration...old salts will know that means we were 'at sea' for quite some time)
    Thessolniki, Greece
    Volos Bay, Greece
    Skiros Island, Greece
    Marmaris, Turkey
    Souda Bay, Crete
    Rota, Spain
    2 weeks transit to Onslow Beach.

Six months 'sea duty' credit.

You will float where they need you to float. MEU's have typically been the 'tip of the spear, at the edge of the empire' for the United States and the Marine Corps. You will visit various and sundry foreign liberty ports, if the mission allows it. If not you will be deployed as 'first responders' to whatever hotspots, or other locations the "President so directs", including Iraq, Afganistan, or wherever.

When I did it, the workup was as follows:

Checked aboard: May 98
    Workup, Ft Bragg NC June 98
    Workup, Field Ex Camp Lejeune July 98
    Ship Familiarization July 98
    Ship Excercise, Onlsow Beach Aug/Sept 98
    Block Leave October 98
    Embark November 98
    Float, November 98-May 99. (With the possibility of being extended...didn't happen but was done to the MEU before us, and the MEU after us...those days are only 'tentative'.)
    MEU Standdown and de-cert June 99
    Workup July 99
    Ft AP Hill Aug/Sept 99
    Lejeune Field Ex October 99
    MEU Cert, various CONUS locations October-Dec 99
    Block Leave Dec 99
    Embark, Morehead City NC Feb 99

Get the general idea? You won't be 'home' much if you stay with the MEU for both pumps (I didn't for other reasons). But you'll be seeing and doing lots of new and unusual/cool things, all 'real world' relating to your actual USMC MOS.

After earning the Title, attending MCT and their respective MOS school, how does a Marine join an MEU?

You get assigned to one based on need. For infantry, it's by unit. For the remainder of the MOS's, in some cases you will be asked as soon as you check into your primary duty station. In others you will just be assigned to the next unit on the rotation going out.

Just depends on what your MOS is and what unit you get assigned to. Each MEU has their own permanent personnel while others like the Infantry Battalions rotate on cycles. Depending on what your MOS is, try and select a unit that supports the MEU and it's pretty certain you'll go. If not, then re-enlist after your first tour and select a unit on the MEU.

Thank you for your responses Sgt and Cpl

Ship life is absolutely horrible unless you're an officer and these days you don't want to be on a MEU floating around the ocean when your buddies are getting some in country.

Is MEU considered to be an active duty or reserves job?

I imagine that it would have to be active duty.

Thread Information