DEP help
Create Post

Thread: DEP help

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

DEP help

Ok I will try and keep this fairly simple. In August I went in to talk to my local recruiter, I was way overweight at 280 pounds. I have since lost the weight needed (now at 230 at 6 feet tall which is below the max i needed to be at.) the problem is that due to the weight loss I now need gall bladder surgery. This is scheduled for the beginning of Feb. My recruiter has said that I can get into the DEP as long as I do so before the surgery. After the surgery I would have to wait 6 months to get into DEP. I have about 2 weeks before the surgery and I was wondering what the steps/process is of signing up for DEP and if I have to go to MEPs etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Credits
    Savings
    To get into DEP you have to sign a lot of papers then they will do a police check and if everything is good to go you will go to MEPS. At MEPS you take the ASVAB(if you havent already) and do a physical. Once that is done you are sworn in to inactive reserves I belive and sign a contract. Once you complete MEPS you go back to your Recruiters office and they give you the Welcome Aboard package...

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by kash View Post
    To get into DEP you have to sign a lot of papers then they will do a police check and if everything is good to go you will go to MEPS. At MEPS you take the ASVAB(if you havent already) and do a physical. Once that is done you are sworn in to inactive reserves I belive and sign a contract. Once you complete MEPS you go back to your Recruiters office and they give you the Welcome Aboard package...

Thanks, a few more questions, I think I am going to need a few waivers, do I need to have these done before signing or is that later. Also how long after the paper work do I go to meps and will they pass me where I need surgery? Sorry but when I talked to the recruiter it didn't seem like it would be an issue to get this done by the beginning of FEB. Now it seems like it might be tough.

Credits
    Savings
    Guys, correct me if I'm wrong, because it is a likely possibility.. I think they do the waivers at MEPS.. As for when you go to MEPS, it depends... If you're good to go, your recruiter will likely get you up there as soon as possible. As for your surgery, I'm afraid I couldn't give an accurate response... I hope everything works out for you, though.. Stay motivated.

Yeah I believe they do the waivers at MEPS. When i went up there another kid from my RSS came with me and I'm pretty sure he got a waiver for weight there I could be wrong but I do think so.. Best advice any of us can give you is talk with your Recruiter he will know alot more than us Poolees He's been there done that. Just give him a call let us know how it all goes

You should probably try to lose a few more pounds.
    Im 6 foot too and I remember that 230 lbs was the maximum limit that you needed Just to DEP, not necessarily to go to boot camp, which is 210 lbs I believe.

If your right on the limit of 230 lbs, I recommend not eating anything the night befor you go to MEPS and work your ass off, and if all else fails, ask your recruiter for the Green Monster.

I say this because the doctors there will find any reason at all to kick your ass out of there, and if your right on the line of 230 lbs, they might just do that. Then you might have to wait a week or two to go back.

Thread Information