Poolee and Recruit Ages
Create Post
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Poolee and Recruit Ages

Hey Marines and recruits,

I'm new to the community, and once I've endured the experience of Boot Camp to achieve status as a Marine myself, I'll probably be a regular around here. A lot of helpful people and a good sense of filtering out a lot of the internet trash.

I'm 22 this January, leaving for Boot Camp this upcoming Monday, the 12th. I'm not stressing my age other than wishing I'd enlisted a few years earlier, but I'm curious. How old are those of you in the DEP, when do you deploy, and how old were the overall platoon recruits when you Marines were in Boot Camp?

Looking forward to talking to you guys.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Want comparisons? Depped and booted at 17,,,,,,,, Turned 18 in ITR, [It ain't called that anymore]. We've had a few grandpaws thru here,,, they did just fine. However, a little more is expected, I believe.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Im 17.. in our DEP platoon most poolees are around 17- 19,, but we do have a couple who are in their twenties.. and i think as far as boot camp, there will prolly be a good ratio of the two

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    By the way, Tom,,, Good job on the profile,,,, I got nuthin to chew you out over,,,,, Welcome Aboard.

We had a recruit turn 29 halfway through second phase. She ended up being in the running for platoon honor grad at the end.

Credits
    Savings
    The average age of recruits is 19 (I did my Senior Project on the History of the Marine Corps and the training it provides and this is what I found age wise).

I DEPed in on 20080606 at the age of 17 and I will be leaving 20090615 at the age of 18(turned 18 in Oct)

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    By the way, Tom,,, Good job on the profile,,,, I got nuthin to chew you out over,,,,, Welcome Aboard.
    Much appreciated.

Here's another question in regards to age...

I turn 22 during Boot Camp. Should I expect this to go unnoticed, or will I be treated to an extra running and ass-kicking to honor the celebration?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Make sure it goes unnoticed,,,,,,,,,,

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I DEPed in on 20080606 at the age of 17 and I will be leaving 20090615 at the age of 18(turned 18 in Oct)
    Unless I'm retarded, which may be the case, I thought you could only be in DEP for 365 days?

I'm 20 and I ship out on Monday as well. Good luck to you.

Dep -- 20081029
    Ship -- 20090126
    Age -- 22

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by BackhausD View Post
    Unless I'm retarded, which may be the case, I thought you could only be in DEP for 365 days?
    No there's an extension you can have. Its like 45 more days and that's the absolute max. I was ready to sign the first day I talked to my recruiter(I would have used all those 45 days) but my mom wouldn't sign until she saw this is what I really wanted to do.

I will be 17 when I ship to boot, my birthday is right in the middle. I am hoping it goes unnoticed.

I vaguely remember something on the Discovery Channel, maybe it was that documentary, "Making Marines" where they said the average age of a recruit is 19.

Talking You'll be Alright.

Quote Originally Posted by GEOCO View Post
    Hey Marines and recruits,

I'm new to the community, and once I've endured the experience of Boot Camp to achieve status as a Marine myself, I'll probably be a regular around here. A lot of helpful people and a good sense of filtering out a lot of the internet trash.

I'm 22 this January, leaving for Boot Camp this upcoming Monday, the 12th. I'm not stressing my age other than wishing I'd enlisted a few years earlier, but I'm curious. How old are those of you in the DEP, when do you deploy, and how old were the overall platoon recruits when you Marines were in Boot Camp?

Looking forward to talking to you guys.
    Hows it going Tom, you should be good to go man. If you are as squared away in boot camp as you were with making sure your profilee was filled out. You will make a good Marine. Also I see you are from Peoria thats cool. Your about an hour from me, I live in Galesburg.

We've another Arizonian in here? Awesome. I'm sounding off from Gilbert.

Thread Information