Standard Rifle
Create Post

Thread: Standard Rifle

Standard Rifle

I was wondering what the standard issue rifle for an infantryman is. I have gotten people who say M16a4 M16a2 and M4 Carbine.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Futuremarine2 View Post
    I was wondering what the standard issue rifle for an infantryman is. I have gotten people who say M16a4 M16a2 and M4 Carbine.

Thanks
    Depends on where you go and what you do.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I guess the standard would be the one they issue in bootcamp, and that would be the M16A2 service rifle.

Normally an M16A4 with an ACOG

Im guessing that Pete0331 is going to be the most correct because my recruiter is a ground pounder and he uses a M16A4 his first tour and a M4 his second, but then again he was also a LCPL the first and CPL the second, and from what my buddy who shipped a few months back said mostly NCO's get them? Can anyone varify this for me?

USMC is in transition M4 in some cases m16a2 in some units mostly reserves and m16a4 in others. Honestly when you get down to it no real difference except sight rails a4 is slightly more accurate while the m4 being a carbine of the m16 family slightly less

Some units still ha M16A1's in the 2003 time frame.

The A4 is only more accurate because it hasn't been in rotation for 20 + years like most of the neglected A2's have.

Standard issue rifle in a normal infantry battalion in the fleet is an M16A4 with ACOG and Peq-15. Every unit has M4's but they are not standard issue and only go to corpsman, platoon sgt's, officers, etc. and if there are enough M4's left over they'll go to squad leaders and then team leaders followed by NCO's in a non-leadership billet and then finally gunners up in turrets.

Quote Originally Posted by Accord View Post
    Every unit has M4's but they are not standard issue and only go to corpsman, platoon sgt's, officers, etc. and if there are enough M4's left over they'll go to squad leaders and then team leaders followed by NCO's in a non-leadership billet and then finally gunners up in turrets.
    [RANT] That's the way it was when I was in, and it is still complete bull crap.

Giving an M-4 to "O" or SNCO who stays inside the wire 90% of the time when it can help facilitate the operational capability of some 1st Term Lcpl or Cpl is WRONG no matter how you look at it.

Doing that violates both the objectives of Marine Corps leadership, and I have rarely seen someone higher step up and say that the M-4 will be better used in the hands of some dumb sh!t Pfc.

Not saying every one need an M-4, but the Marines who need them aren't getting them.
    Just because you've been in for 10 years or have spent 4 years in college drinking doesn't mean you rate just because you want to look all high speed.
    The "weapon uniformity" statement is also a bloody cervical fart in that regard.

[/RANT]

they tell us ,regardless of rank that we recieve M4's for practical purposes,if your dog is not trained off the leash you need 1 hand to hold the safety on the leash and the other to hold your weapon, If for some reason you need to quickly fire using only 1 hand the M4 is alot easier than an M16A4.

the weapon used in bootcamp is the A2,but that should be the last time you see it.

Thread Information