Who has questions about ITB?
Create Post

Who has questions about ITB?

I just graduated Infantry Training Bn. at SOI West on the 19th and am waiting to start BRC. If any of you Poolees/wannabes have *intelligent* questions about ITB post them here and I will try to answer them.

I have a question... What's the deal with the LAV Crewman MOS? Do people volunteer for it or are people chosen for it?

Close to the end of they cycle our Platoon Commander came in and told us that LAV needed to fill 20 slots so they asked for volunteers and then screened some people out. Some companies may get more and some may get none.

Alright cool, thanks.

I know that in SOI your obvously a Marine, but do your teachers treat you like recruites? From what i have been told you get treated like a recruit for a while because your so use to being told what to do and when to do it, unlike SOI where you need to think on your feet, if you could answer it to the best of your ability that would be great thanks!

You're not treated like recruits, but you are treated like Pvts and PFCs. Basically your instructors are not trying to keep you under constant stress, like your Drill Instructors will. That however doesn't mean that they won't yell at you or that you won't be moving fast, because you will. As long as you have a positive attitude about it it's not that bad and can be fun at times.

Basically they treat you like men unless you act like idiots. You will here a lot of "wtf devildog" on a consistent basis and when you dont move fast (always one) then they will jump on you. The instructors are tight especially after you know who will be around after MOS split. If you are in an 0311 platoon and they know you arent weapons etc. it starts getting fun...another month in the field hahah.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Also remember that you are still at the entry level of training. Boot camp just basically taught you which end of the rifle the pointy part of the bullet comes out of.

As Pvts and PFCs, you still really don't know much and you're still near the bottom of the food chain. Just because you got the EGA doesn't mean it's skate time, in fact, it means the complete opposite.

Stupid Marines doing stupid stuff get yelled at by NCOs. It has been the way of the warrior since the beginning of time. Don't do stupid stuff. Just be glad NCOs aren't allowed to club you with swagger sticks any more.

Thank you all for answering my question.

I have a question. Is there a specific way they decide who will be a rifleman and who will be the SAW gunner?

Credits
    Savings
    As for the duration of ITB, I don't remember how that was picked but it was far from a scientific method (eeney meeney miney SAW!) Those are not MOS's, however. Whatever weapon you carry through ITB (and it might change) won't mean sh!t when you get to your unit, so don't sweat it.

Did you ever have to march with a SAW at port arms with no sling? Yeah...it sucked...

Credits
    Savings
    I got IT'd with the MSR and CLU (the Javelin missile and box) and water bowl IT And I was in weapons!

So I just enlisted last month, and I just had a few questions. I am obviously 100% set on being a Marine, and if it comes down to it, I would do any job just to be a Marine. But my goal, my hope is that I get Infantry and on to Recon in a couple of years. My recruiter always tells me that Infantry is not available and that when it is it'll probably be mortarman. Is there anything I can do to improve my odds of getting the job I want?

A two year old topic. Try running some searches. Closed. And complete the profile.

Thread Information