son's deploying - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: son's deploying

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by marinemama View Post
    Good morning! Quick question for you all. I have found the pay charts for normal on a base Marines for each rank. I have been asked by the FRO to make sure my son's pay is correct...I am not sure where to find that info. He is deployed to a combat zone, A Lance Corporal, lives on base, single with no dependents. I see all the stuff for combat, but am unsure how to figure out what he would be getting...Any suggestions or help would be appreciated?
    On the chart should be the figure for combat pay (hostile-fire pay), which is a per-month amount (usually divided by two and each part paid with a normal pay day. He gets no housing allowance or subsistence allowance (those are provided "in-kind," in other words he has a barracks room and goes to the chow hall to eat, or is provided MREs).

He also should have no income tax deductions, however, he still has the social security deduction (FISA).

He probably is not parachute qualified, and if he is, probably not in a jump slot, so parachute pay won't be a factor. Other hazardous duty pay is not applicable as he isn't EOD, on a ship as crew, on a sub, etc. As he is single, he gets no family separation allowance.

Add up his monthly base pay and combat pay. Multiply by .075 (7.5%) to get his social security deduction. Subtract that from the monthly gross total to get his monthly net. Divide that by two to get a figure for his bi-weekly pay check amount.

The figures may not be 100% on-target, but should be close enough to tell if his pay is OK.

Thank you so much Sergeant for taking the time to post all that. I pulled up the pay chart and his LES and figured it out. It is pretty close, so I am happy.

No, he is an Engineer, so I didn't have to worry about the jump stuff or being on a MEU.

Thanks again for your time and quick reply.

Just to let you all know, both of my Marines are deployed now.

I am hoping the time goes very very fast and I will keep all of them in my prayers.

They both have boots in the same sand now...ugggg! I really hope they get to see each other.

Keeping all of you in the sand in my prayers!

Hoping your sons get the chance to see each other too. Now the countdown to homecoming begins. What a glorious time that will be! I want you to know that their service and sacrifice is greatly appreciated by our family. Sending best wishes and prayers for their safe return home.

Take care and God bless.

Quote Originally Posted by marinemama View Post
    They both have boots in the same sand now...ugggg! I really hope they get to see each other.

Keeping all of you in the sand in my prayers!
    Get some, lads!

I am soooo proud of my eldest....this is what he does...engineering and surveying. I have another link with pictures, didn't see my son in any of them though.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iQsdQAuKzZl3hMgVzG60jVJVgRiQ

My youngest found where the oldest is....not far, same place just logistically not possible at the moment. Anyone have a humvee he can borrow? ha ha ha He does have the license.

***breaking news*** lol lol

My son's finally hooked up! Woo Hoo! The eldest was soooo happy to see his brother, he had no idea he was walking to find him and waited two hours for him to get off work...what a great thing to end your day with...your brother standing at your Unit!

in my thoughts and prayers....

I am only posting this here, because I am not allowed to post in the section it was originally posted in....My heart and soul are with MWSS371, this amazing hero, and his family. This Unit is working so very hard, like 2/8 and all the other brave Marines deployed. Please keep them all in your prayers, they still have a long road ahead of them. Thank you.

Boy gets special gifts from Marines for kindergarten graduation
    Comments 2 | Recommend 3
    June 4, 2009 - 5:23 PM
    BY WILLIAM ROLLER, SUN STAFF WRITER

Alan Gonzalez received one of the best gifts a son could get from a father stationed overseas in the military - his safe return home.

Staff Sgt. Alonso Smith, an explosive ordnance technician with Marine Wing Support Squadron 371, was injured by an improvised explosive device in Afghanistan recently.

Yet he's now recuperating at the naval hospital in Bethesda, Md. Though he could not attend his son Alan's promotion from kindergarten to first grade at Harvest Preparatory Academy Thursday, he sent along several keepsakes and a letter read aloud by the 371st's Chief Warrant Officer Simon Wade.

"Alan, I'm very proud of you today. I know we worked hard together and I want you to know I'll keep on being there for you," Smith wrote his son.

Wade then gave to Alan his father's dogtags, and he stressed he especially wanted him to have the Eagle, Globe and Anchor, the Marine emblem.

"Alan had no idea we were coming today, we set it up as a complete surprise," Wade said. "And we'll take back all the videos (of the kindergarten promotion) back to Alonso now that he's recovering nicely."

Wade said that it was extremely important to Smith to know how Alan was doing despite his injuries.

"As I was sitting at his bedside yesterday, he's asking me how was his team," Wade said. "His level of selflessness is amazing to me, it's beyond reproach. Even from his hospital bed he showed concern for his fellow Marines. That's what Marines do. They take care of their fellow Marines."

And while recovering Staff Sgt. Smith had a distinguished visitor - President Barack Obama - who presented him with a Purple Heart for his injury. Smith was not just indiscriminately injured by the IED, but it is his job to find the devices and disarm them. The Marines were honored to be at Harvest Prep to assist Smith's family and speed his healing process, Wade said.

Alan's mother, Dulce, was also by his father's bedside so she could not attend his promotion ceremony, but expressed her pride in Alan's promotion in another letter read aloud.

But offering moral support for Alan was Dulce's brother, Albert Celaya, 17, a senior at Harvest Prep. Albert said he is very proud of Alan and is sure he will go all the way to college.

Although the family was upset upon first learning of Smith's injuries, they have complete confidence he will make a full recovery.

"Dulce's in control of the situation and she'll spend the next month in Maryland," Albert said. "I think Alonso is a really good man, brave and I'm very proud of him."

Alan said he was sad and worried when he first heard the news about his father, but he is happy now that he knows his father is safe. He also said he is glad to move up to first grade but he will miss his teacher Ms. Palencia.

Harvest Prep director Mario Ybarra said the school hopes to make the kindergarten celebration a more significant event and use it as an opportunity to build a strong parent/school relationship and strengthen school culture. He also said the Marine Corps serves as Alan's support mechanism to help his family in this difficult time.

"We're fortunate in our community to have systems in place, strong schools and families," Ybarra said. "Alan is very resilient and the Marines are his pillars to coping with his situation."

There were 68 students promoted from kindergarten to first grade and another 11 who advanced from preschool to kindergarten. Ybarra added there are three things important for the success of a student: teachers and their schools, parents and families, and the students themselves.

"When all three work in a unified effort, the success of the student is inevitable," he said. "I think Alan has all three."

--
    William Roller can reached at wroller@yumasun.com or 539-6858.

My two Marines are doing well over there. Working very very hard at the job at hand, and can't wait to be back home. Eldest is starting to count the other way now! Yay! Keeping my prayers out to both Units and all the others fighting this fight! What amazing honor and courage!

Good deal! Semper Fi and stay low!

Tell me about communication, please. How often do you hear from them? How?

My Marine is slated to go (Iraq) in September

Quote Originally Posted by dono View Post
    Tell me about communication, please. How often do you hear from them? How?

My Marine is slated to go (Iraq) in September
    I hear from one of mine of FB, about once every week and a half to two weeks. Rarely on the phone, the phone lines where he is, can be up to three hours wait time. His work schedule is horrific, with the job that he is doing, so I would rather miss the call, and not have him wait in that really long line. My youngest I get mostly e-mails, and more phone calls up to now. I was getting e-mails everyday or almost everyday...but he is in Comm, so that is easier for him when he is on radio watch all night. They are waging a huge offensive at the moment...it was on CNN today, so I am not sure how good Comm will be now with him.

I have heard in Iraq, it is set up better than where my Marines are located at the moment. I am not sure that communication is as sparse....but I am guessing with both of mine in Afghanistan. One of the ones that is with my son, was in Ramadi last time they deployed, and they could use all sorts of things to communicate...he said where he is now...it sucks.

My best to your Marine always.

My son's had pictures taken of them for a story they are running in the paper, and the reporter was kind enough to forward me a few of the pictures...here is one of my youngest. MCMAP baby....One mean looking Marine! So glad I am not doing that laundry. ha ha

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    GREAT looking pic mom glad you are hearing from them.please thank them for me.
    keith

Thread Information