son's deploying
Create Post
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: son's deploying

son's deploying

My youngest will be deploying soon and wanted me to fly to NC to see him off. He has given me a 4 day window on when he might leave. He is at Lejeune....Does anyone know any good hotels in the area that are fairly safe and not really expensive? I figure I will get a refundable ticket, just in case things change, and fly in the day before he could possibly leave. Any suggestions, tips or what to expect will be greatly appreciated.

The oldest is a bit easier, he is closer to home. I just hope it isn't the same four days...a mom's worst nightmare for sure!

Hope everyone has a great 2009! Happy New Year!

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    http://hotel-guides.us/north-carolin...nc-hotels.html

http://www.libertyinnlejeune.com/

Although I do not frequent the hotels any longer in Jacksonville,I would recommend the Liberty Inn as it is the closest to mainside Camp Lejeune and from what I was told by a few of my Beirut brethren in October that it was/is a nice hotel.

The airport in Onslow County is small but efficient.

http://www.co.onslow.nc.us/airport/

Hope this helps...let me know if I can be of some assistance.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Well, if it's any consolation, my oldest daughter works at the casualty receiving unit at Ramstein AB, Germany. Everyone getting medically evacuated (for whatever reason) from Iraq or the 'Stan goes through there on the way to Landstuhl Hospital or stateside.

She says they haven't been terribly busy lately and most of their patients are there because of accidents or illnesses. A few due to some really stupid accidents (like checking the fuel level in a vehicle at night with a Bic lighter - Army guy).

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    (like checking the fuel level in a vehicle at night with a Bic lighter - Army guy).
    I spewed on that one!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Marine84 View Post
    I spewed on that one!
    Now I have a mess to clean up LOL!! ..... that was stupid funny. You aren't the only one 84. What a friggin idiot.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I spewed on that one!

It's true too. My daughter helped carry his litter and later handled his med records. He was in critical condition with a lot of 2d and 3d degree burns. They had to lay on a special evac flight the next day for him to Brooke Hospital burn center, direct flight with in-flight refuels, and two flight crews aboard due to the flight time involved in a non-stop.

All of that because he was a dummy. I don't know if he has or will survive. Cristina said he was in really bad shape.

Marine Family Free Member ScottsMom's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    When is your Marine deploying? My son is also at Lejeune and is scheduled to deploy in the early spring? He is part of the 22nd MEU.

My youngest from Lejeune is going in Feb, but he isn't on a MEU. My oldest isn't sure, but within Feb/Mar. Are you going to see him off? I will let you know from the links from Phantom Blooper, which are good places to stay. Thanks for those and your kind offer of help.

I can't even imagine that poor Army guy getting so badly burned for something so silly. I hope he is OK.

I'm not really worried about them, they are getting the best training available to them to do that job that they have. I know they have lots of people that look after them, as they will in return. I worry about the change of power on the 20th, regardless of the person....it is a prime time for the extreme people to cause chaos. I will just keep all that are there and the ones going in my prayers. I will just miss them very very much.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I spewed on that one!
    Geeze, woman, darned near every Marine on this site owes you for a monitor or keyboard.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by marinemama View Post

I can't even imagine that poor Army guy getting so badly burned for something so silly. I hope he is OK.
    I spoke with my daughter today. As far as she knows he has made it so far, but he went to Brooke in San Antonio for treatment. She's going to try and track him down through the system and get a status.

It was more than just silly, it was plain stupid.

If there are no available rooms at the Liberty Inn (I'm sure there will be) try the Triangle Inn. A good bit further away but nice for what you pay for the rooms.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Marinemama,

Camp Lejeune has a motel right there on the base....Lejeune Inn. Phone number is 910-451-3041. We stayed there when my son deployed and then when he got back.

Hope this link works....http://www.mccslejeune.com/lejeuneinn.html

Mary

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Thanks for that link...I was told what the website portrays that most of those rooms now are for family of wounded warriors and personnel waiting housing or have orders. back in the days this used to be called the "Hostess House"...it sure has grown.

Anything is worth a shot!

Thanks!

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Phantom,

We were there a year ago at this time, and unless things have changed since then, I think they still make reservations for family members of those that are deploying or coming back.

Mary

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    OldMarineMom,

Learn something new everyday...my info is about three years old.

Hope marinemama is able to get a reservation there. Easier to navigate and it is just like it's own little city on mainside in that area.

Again thanks for the info...will have to update my source.

Thread Information