new to the board
Create Post
    Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

new to the board

Good morning i just want to say that i am new to the board and my son Kody is in Dep with a ship date of Feb 8,2010 to PI. I am very excited and very proud of him. i have a few questions and i'm not sure where to post them.He was in Dep last year and then a girl came into his life and took himself out of Dep because she told him to.then he got into a little trouble he has since reinlisted with a waiver without her blessing and is finally talking control of his life again and doing what he wants to do. my question is because he had police involvement in the past he is not eligible for a MOS bonus. will this be the case through out his career in the Marines? will he ever be eligible for bonuses? if i have posted this in the wrong area can you please redirect me. thank you

Quote Originally Posted by momreigle View Post
    Good morning i just want to say that i am new to the board and my son Kody is in Dep with a ship date of Feb 8,2010 to PI. I am very excited and very proud of him. i have a few questions and i'm not sure where to post them.He was in Dep last year and then a girl came into his life and took himself out of Dep because she told him to.then he got into a little trouble he has since reinlisted with a waiver without her blessing and is finally talking control of his life again and doing what he wants to do. my question is because he had police involvement in the past he is not eligible for a MOS bonus. will this be the case through out his career in the Marines? will he ever be eligible for bonuses? if i have posted this in the wrong area can you please redirect me. thank you
    Welcome to the site!

He will be eligable for future bonuses once he becomes a Marine. This will still weigh in on what he wants to do in the future as far as the Marine Corps is concerned depending on why/what the waiver was for. If you don't disclose what the waiver is for then that is about the best I can do. Others will probably weigh in on this also.

Credits
    Savings
    welcome to the site.
    Best action have him ask the recruiter for a specific answer
    Secondary action advise him to follow up when he is a Marine with his reporting command.

Semper Fi

Credits
    Savings
    he has an underage and also a summary retail theft. but with the retail theft both boys were charged with the full amount so that took him to the lower courts. i got him a lawyer so we could just plead to what he took. but it is still on his record as a summary charge. he also has a waiver for his tattoos . the recruiter has told us that he will never be able to do anything that involves security clearance.he originally wanted to be an MP and a dog handler before all this happened. he has now asked for 1100 electrician MOS.

I have never heard of tattoos preventing you from getting a security clearence before. Surely someone can chim in on that.

Credits
    Savings
    i guess i should have said his waiver is preventing him from getting an MOS that involves a security clearance?
    he has one waiver for his police involvement and also one for his tattoos.
    i just want the best for him. he understands that his stupid mistakes has messed up his original career choice but i hope it doesn't hurt him in the future(once he proves himself to be a great Marine).
    also the girlfriend is still in his life and she is really no help. she calls him a screw up and tells him that only screw ups join the military(even through he enlisted before she ever came into the picture) I seriously hope that once he leaves for boot camp the relationship ends. not to sound to harsh but he really does not need that kind of person in his life no matter how much he thinks he loves her. just being a MOM.

He needs to ditch the negativity. Boot camp is hard enough without having full support from family and loved ones. The fact that he has certain tats or tats in certain places are what require the waiver just to get in the Corps. Tats have nothing to do with security clearances. Most jobs in the Corps require a SECRET security clearance. An MP doesn't hold much of a security clearance of any depth. The fact that he has has issues with the law will preclude him from being an MP (gee, I wonder why). Having a record with the law will also preclude him from obtaining any kind of security clearance. Especially distrustful things like stealing. Very few MOSs in the Corps don't have at least a SECRET clearance, so his options are few and far between. He's lucky to be getting in the Corps at this point. His best option is to try to get his ship date moved up as soon as he possibly can. He needs to get out of his current situation, with what sounds like a "bad influence" girlfriend and move on to become a man as soon as possible.

By the way, if your son is joining the Marine Corps looking for bonuses, he is joining for the wrong reason. If money is what he's after, tell him to go join the Army.

Credits
    Savings
    thank you! no he did not join to get a bonus and understands that he will not receive a bonus on completion of school.i was just curious. he has joined to better his life.and i'm very proud of him for wanting to change his life. the recruiter has said that his ship date will probably be moved up.

Thread Information