migraines
Create Post

Thread: migraines

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Unhappy migraines

I heard that anyone with a history of migraines was automatically DQ'ed from being able to join the Marines. Is this true? I had two migraines about 2 years ago while working on a road crew.
    Would that keep me from being able to enlist? I searched the site but wasn't able to come up with much info. Help!

Credits
    Savings
    You should ask your doctor and let your recruiter know. It
    should'nt stop you. How many times do you get them and how long do they last?

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    www.migraines.org

There is the main info site for migraines. If you had two "migraines" that long ago, you do not have the chronicc condition the medical porfession recognizes as migraines.

Any chronic condition will keep you from the military - any branch.

I think once you check the site and find out what migraines really are, you'll stop worrying.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks to both of you.
    marinemom, I am 100% sure that they were migraines. After the second one I visited that same website and realized what it was. Thankfully, those were the only ones I've ever had and I've never had to worry about them again.

btrogu, I think they were called "Classic Migraines" that only lasted about 2 to 4 hours. Not bad for most migraines. And sorry for the confusion. My name is wrong, I'm not a pool-ee yet. I'm not in a position right now to see a recruiter, but I will be in August. I picked my name out of ignorance but wrbones quickly enlightened me!

firstsgtmike
    Guest Free Member
    I am NOT a doctor, and this is NOT medical advice.

I am not sure they would be considered "migraines" or what is conventionally called "splitting headaches.

I've had two or three, and assisted four or five other people with the same symptoms. The proximate cause was being too busy to eat for two or three days.

The immediate cure was dissolving a packet of sugar on the tongue, (powdered sugar is best when available). The effects were instantaneous.

The follow-up step is to get some food into your system.

It may not work in all cases, but it doesn't cost anything to try.

Marine Spouse Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    What I was told is this: If it is not something that currently plagues you, or something that has the possibility of resurfacing, don't bother mentioning it. I don't know if that's the shady part of my recruiter talking, but that's what I was told... and I would consider having migraines two years ago something that is not likely to resurface. My husband used to have headaches all the time (not migraines, just headaches), he said he did not have a headache the entire time he was at boot camp- he thinks it was because they were so hydrated all the time.

good luck!

While at the Naval Academy Summer Seminar we had several briefs. One was an admissions brief, outlining the process to get in. The officer in charge of medical stuff told us that everyone has headaches and allergies, but the question they're asking in terms of admission is do they cause problems? He told us about how many applicants had said that they had headaches and allergies and had to get waivers for them because they checked off "yes". We were instructed to check "no" unless they caused problems or interfered with our lives.

I have no idea if this helps you at all, but the medical stuff is really a grey area. Tell the truth (NEVER LIE!) but use good judgement.

If the question is:
    Have you EVER had a migraine? The answer, of course, is yes.

If they question is:
    Do you HAVE migraines? I'd answer no.

Good answer, jen, well said. Eating right and keeping watered up is important, whether yer at MCRD or not.

That's what I like about you, Jess. Straight to the heart of the matter. Well done, kiddo.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks to all of you for your answers and advice.

Thats what I like about this site, wrbones, the lack of BS!

If you don't BS us we won't BS you....well, not much anyway.....

When it comes to a legit question or info, you'll get it straight up and down, whether ya like the answer or not. We're here to help and to keep ya from killin' yerself and yer Brothers when ya hit the Fleet.

Thread Information