Life after boot camp
Create Post
    Registered User Free Member NYLady13's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Question Life after boot camp

I'm leaving for boot camp in 2004 and I know that nothing can prepare me for it, its something that I have to experience on my own, but I'm curious about life after boot camp.
    I have been told my male marines that I know not to join because life for a female marine can be complicated. Joining the Corp is all I have ever wanted to do. While some girls were dreaming of beings models, I was dreaming of rifles and drill, but I'm confused because of the remarks made to me. I was hoping for a marines insight in to life for a female marine I'd really appreciate it, thank you...
    -NyLady

NyLady

I will ask Our Sister Moderator Cas...to help address the womens view for you........

Don't forget to view the poolee forum.....Lots of info .....

The Drifter

Marine Spouse Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Hey NYLady, welcome. There are a lot of people in these forums who are more than willing to help you out with information- especially if they know that you are doing your best to find information on your own. The way it goes in here is that before you ask anything, read through the past posts to make sure your question wasn't answered already- using the search function makes it pretty easy to find what you're looking for- or things you didn't know you should have been looking for.

I haven't gone to boot camp yet, either- I go November 17th of this year. Males in general have discouraged me from entering the Marine Corps (they all become experts as soon as you mention the military), but you know, NONE of them have been Marines. I've found that most people who are against me going in are those who don't know anything about the Marine Corps (or the military at all). I think the experience is going to be what we make of it. We can spend the whole time whining about being given a hard time, or we can suck it up and work hard and do what we came to do.

And one more thing, before someone jumps on you: the word 'Marine' should always be capitalized, and don't forget the 'S' on the end of CorpS.

Good luck!

OK, I will answer this as best as I can. I will tell you what I think, and the go on to what friends of mine have told me. First, I have no problem with women in the Marine Corps. The best officer I dealt with was a female, and one of my closest friends was a female, not to mention that I got the bonus points on my cutting score for my own girlfriend enlisting. That being said, there is one important thing that I feel ALL women in the military (or other paramilitary places such as police officers) should remember. You are entering a male's world. It may be "kinder and gentler" than it was 20 years ago, but it is still a world dominated by men. That being the case, there are some things you will have to get used to. This doesn't mean you have to live with harassment, that should never be tolerated! But, there will be things that you will come face to face with that you may not be used to. Don't expect the men to change to meet your standards, it won't happen.
    Now, there are many grunts that don't trust females. This is because they have seen their friends and coworkers get in trouble from their dealings with female Marines. Sometimes these men needed to be punished, but there are times when a female will make something up to get back at a male Marine they are angry with. This in turn makes those Marines that rarely come in contact with female Marines think twice before they associate with them. My two cents, if you come across someone like this just let it go. There are too many people in this world that you can hang out with. Don't force yourself on someone that is a little close minded, just like you wouldn't want them to force themselves on you.
    One final note. Remember, we are all on Team Green. There will be some Marines you love, and others that you hate. But, it is no different than any other situation. In a college dorm or at a work place you will encounter the same thing. Only there, you don't get to wear the EGA to work every day!

Credits
    Savings
    I agree with E4B, just remember that it is what you make of it. Also a good piece of advise for anyone going into the military would be to know what you want to get out of it before you go. Are you looking for a skill that will be marketable in the civilian world when you get out? Money for college? Are you looking for comraderie, a challenge, personal pride? Knowing what motivates you to go into the military will better prepare you for getting the most out of your experience in the military.

Thread Information