Potential Marine-Info
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Potential Marine-Info

Greetings to all.
    I am a Infantry soldier currently enlisted in the Australian Army and am looking to join the marines in the next year or so.
    I was wondering what currently enlisted marines think of this. Also has any one (if any) worked with an Australian who is now USMC who has had prior military experience and if so, what are your thoughts?

I have posted on another site, which I will not name, however came across alot of terry gobs and instead of answering my questions, just big noted themselves.

Any positive reply would be much appreciated.

Upon being asked why he was being pushed back by a "Commonwealth" division at El Alamein,Rommel replied,
    "It is not a Commonwealth Division, it is an Australian Division, why, give me 2 Australian Divisions and I will conquer the world for you!"

First start by following the rules. Then maybe someone will give you an answer after they tear you apart for the mistakes you made in your post.

Credits
    Savings
    Following the rules? What mistakes were made in the post?

Credits
    Savings
    1. Marines is capitalized.
    2. Marines is capitalized.
    3. Marines is capitalized.
    4. Marines is capitalized.
    and lastly -
    5. Marines is capitalized.

Also, your profile needs to be filled out, COMPLETELY.

BTW, she let you off easy.

Credits
    Savings
    Well I'll remember from now on Marines is capitalised. Profile filled out, was rather light, however I did ask for responses to the post...
    But however I made mistakes and have rectified them.

Credits
    Savings
    Read. So returning to my original questions, would anyone like to answer them?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DTBill View Post
    Well I'll remember from now on Marines is capitalised. Profile filled out, was rather light, however I did ask for responses to the post...
    But however I made mistakes and have rectified them.
    I'll help you out a little.

First, you will need to get a permanent resident status in the United States before you could join any branch of the US military. In addition, your MOS selection will be somewhat limited because of an inability to obtain a security clearance as a non-US citizen. Other than that, if you are otherwise mentally and physically qualified, I'm certain a Marine recruiter would be happy to talk to you.

The drill instructors may pick on you a bit, especially if you have a pronounced Aussie accent, but they'll lay off once you've proven yourself a good recruit. But then, everyone gets picked on by the drill instructors for some personal flaw, real or imagined. Prior military experience helps regardless of source. Just remember, our close order drill is very different and there will be a sharp re-learning curve.

I served with a bunch of Canadians, some Brits and Scots, but no Aussies. The only one's I knew were civilians. Good folks, though.

Aussies generally have good reputations with Marines, so your acceptance by other Marines wouldn't be a problem. If you're a good Marine, you're a good Marine. It won't matter where you came from.

As you noted, we are a little touchy about capitalizing Marine when it refers to us. Call it a funny little foible. Same with rule following.

Credits
    Savings
    I'm not too fussed about mental or physical aptitude. All I want to do is be a grunt.
    Yeah I'd expect the Drill Instructors to pick on me, wouldn't expect any less, it's all part of the boot camp game...
    I expect there will be a rather steep learning curve, but I think my previous experience will help, especially in the field.

Thanks a bunch Zulu

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DTBill View Post
    I'm not too fussed about mental or physical aptitude. All I want to do is be a grunt.
    Yeah I'd expect the Drill Instructors to pick on me, wouldn't expect any less, it's all part of the boot camp game...
    I expect there will be a rather steep learning curve, but I think my previous experience will help, especially in the field.

Thanks a bunch Zulu
    Your experience will always be a plus and if your fellow recruits have half a brain, they will listen to you. One of the Canadians I served with had been in the Canadian Army. He told me the hardest part of boot camp for him was breaking old drill habits and picking up the new. His drill was the sharpest looking of all of the brand new recruits - just the wrong style.

Otherwise, he said boot camp wasn't too big of a culture shock. As you said, part of the game.

You can always get your recruiter to work with you ahead of time on the drill aspect if you're concerned.

What about the hand salute ?Do you do it like the Brits ?I think that habbit would be hard to break.

I worked with an australian captain at FT leonardwood he had come over too be in the INWIC course (non lethal weapons instruction course) he earned a tan belt in MCMAP while he was here and was getting certified to teach non lethal weapons because apparently his unit didn't have any qualified individuals to do that,he was really professional and was very motivating to the other members of his class getting OC'ed and tazed.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by mjhpgh View Post
    What about the hand salute ?Do you do it like the Brits ?I think that habbit would be hard to break.
    Im not too sure on the British drills however our salute to the front is hand brought around from the hip, brought in front of the slouch hat with it stopping at the middle finger, palm facing outwards.

Canadians I've seen have had snappy drill too. Ours is pretty good if I dont say so myself, however when you get to Battalions it tends to get a little more lax.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

DTBill

I never served with any Aussies on a consistant basis. I can tell you this and Zulu summed it up the best, if your service in honorable then you will be accepted as a Marine. I like all Aussies especially the Shelias LOL

Gunny out

Credits
    Savings
    Hahaha you used the word sheila yeah they go alright mate, however I think your women are the bomb...

Thread Information