Fire Team positions
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Fire Team positions

So my friend asked me a question that neither I nor my Father, former Marine non 03xx, could answer. He's also interested in joining up and constantly asks me questions that some I can answer and some I can't. Mostly I tell him to spend 5 seconds trying to find them. So, I ask anyone who can provide an answer or possibly a link to find an answer.

The question: How are fire team positions decided ? (i.e. Team Leader, Designated Marksman, Radio[if that's not a different MOS entirely] or any other positions I'm not mentioning.

Thanks a lot to all answers.

Fire team leader is designated higher up. When I got to my unit my squad leader pretty much assigned us a position. I got placed as a SAW gunner. We have a radio operator who is a plain old 0311 like the rest of us who was made into that by our platoon commander cause he proved to be good with it when we were in Bridgeport and is able to carry that extra weight. Its pretty much just all random.

But a fireteam consists of Fireteam Leader who has the M203, SAW Gunner(2nd in command of the fireteam), rifleman, and assistant saw gunner who is also a rifleman. Rifleman is the pointman. A-gunner carries my spare barrel and extra ammo.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks a lot for that info. Now here is a follow up question; Would the SAW operator be MOS assault man? Also, when you said Higher up (regarding the Team Leader) would that mean highest rank and I'm a little interested in the whole designated marksmen position which would lead me to believe that the person who is the best shot would get that spot?? Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by rmreynolds View Post
    Thanks a lot for that info. Now here is a follow up question; Would the SAW operator be MOS assault man? Also, when you said Higher up (regarding the Team Leader) would that mean highest rank and I'm a little interested in the whole designated marksmen position which would lead me to believe that the person who is the best shot would get that spot?? Thanks again.
    SAW Gunner is an 0311. Assualtman are 0351. Fireteam leaders can range from a ****ing PFC to a Corporal. I believe Its decided by the platoon commander. And a designated Marksman, yes I would assume so. As far as I know we don't have one in my unit yet.

A fire team is a four person unit, with only a leader, SAW gunner, assistant gunner, and rifleman. The other positions you're talking about will be found, but it isn't a part of the fire team makeup.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen870922 View Post
    SAW Gunner is an 0311. Assualtman are 0351. Fireteam leaders can range from a ****ing PFC to a Corporal. I believe Its decided by the platoon commander. And a designated Marksman, yes I would assume so. As far as I know we don't have one in my unit yet.

Im no grunt but wouldn't a grunt unit that got a machine gunner but him in that position?

Here is how I have seen it broken down. Now companies may break it down even further and differently.

-Fire team leader ( Sometimes also referred to as the grenadier. Usually carries the .203 to place rounds on target to direct fires)

-Automatic rifleman ( SAW Gunner) .

-Assistant Automatic rifleman. ( Carries the spare barrel and bag and a M-16. )

-Rifleman . (Carries a M-16.)

In a squad there are 13 Marines broken down into 3 fireteams of 4, with one squad leader. The squad leader will break his squad down how he sees fit with regards to strength of the teams and different responsibilities. Each Marine will have a certain job within the squad. Within those teams the squad leader will assign a Radio operator, navigator, pointman, and whatever other billets he seems fit.

Quote Originally Posted by outlaw3179 View Post
    Here is how I have seen it broken down. Now companies may break it down even further and differently.

-Fire team leader ( Sometimes also referred to as the grenadier. Usually carries the .203 to place rounds on target to direct fires)
    interestingly, back in 2005 the Corps decided to try something a bit different and take the M-203 from the fire team leader and give it to the 'A-Gunner', making him a Grenadier whereas the Point Man would carry the SAW Gunner's extra ammo. I was one of these Grenadiers. The idea was to free up the Team Leader under fire to better control his Marines without having to focus on marking targets for the SAW Gunner. After a tour in the Diyala Province, we reverted back to allowing the M-203 to be on the weapon of the Fire Team Leader

Thread Information