If I were to re-enlist after 7 years, would I have to go through boot camp again?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

If I were to re-enlist after 7 years, would I have to go through boot camp again?

I don't think I would have to, but wanted to find out for sure. I'm sure I would have to do all the screenings and PFT and such, but boot camp is for recruits- not Marines. Am I correct?

You would not have to go through boot camp again. depending on MOS you may not even need to go to school again.

Far as I know, you will never have to go through boot camp ever again.

Not Boot, But you might have update your MOS training depending on what it is.

I don't believe anyone who has earned the title would have to go through boot camp again. Has anybody ever heard any exceptions to this?

Last edited by sim37; 12-31-08 at 11:17 AM. Reason: More details

"Once a Marine always a Marine" so Im pretty sure boot is out the question and as for MOS training I always thought to save money the Marine Corps would not retrain you or sometimes not let you re-enlist in a different MOS.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Yep, no boot, although refresher MOS training may be necessary. Also count on additional refresher training in grunt stuff.

Thank you all for the confirmation.

Good news. I've had an annual dream -- since 1956 -- of being back in boot camp. I wake up in a sweat every time.

LOL. No, you don't have to do recruit training all over again. I re-enlisted in 1997 after being 'out' since 1989 and no recruit training was required.

However, it's likely you'll end up with a new MOS unless yours is extremely 'in demand' or something. A prior service recruiter will be able to tell you for sure.

See I heard from a guy who was a DI in the mid 90s that every once and a while they would get a Marine who had been out for about 5 or more years in their platoon just for Third Phase, I had never heard of anything like that before.

I don't think that's EVER been policy. First time I've heard that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    I don't think that's EVER been policy. First time I've heard that one.
    Exactly, I had never heard of it either.

Quote Originally Posted by mgkusmc View Post
    See I heard from a guy who was a DI in the mid 90s that every once and a while they would get a Marine who had been out for about 5 or more years in their platoon just for Third Phase, I had never heard of anything like that before.
    LMFAO. Did he ask you to go on a snipe hunt too. LOL. Sounds like a "12th general order" deal.

Can you volunteer to go through boot again? My wife yells at me but it's just not the same.

Thread Information