Does Vision Affect Your MOS Assignment?
Create Post

Does Vision Affect Your MOS Assignment?

Hello Marines. I have a question concerning my vision. My eyes are not too bad, for I can see decent without them. However, I will be wearing glasses in the military to compensate for my inability to read from far distances. I believe I could still shoot a target from a medium range perspective without glasses, but it would obviously help a lot more if I were wearing them.

Anyways, my question is will my not-so-perfect vision affect what MOS I get? My ultimate goal is to be an 0311 Rifleman and I'm wondering if the fact that I will be wearing glasses will affect whether I get it or not. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by WesDean View Post
    My eyes are not too bad, for I can see decent without them.
    That's impressive. I'm certain that I wouldn't be able to see anything without my eyes, yet you can see decent without them! WOW!!!

Yes, vision can have an impact on your MOS. There are some jobs that require 20/20 vision, there are others that require lower vision standards. From what you describe, you should be fine. You can wear glasses and be an 0311- just don't forget them, there have been Marines shot because some idiot decided they didn't need to wear their glasses during training.

Credits
    Savings
    I think you should be fine going 0311. I've known some people who were very blind, couldn't see across the squad bay without their glasses, go 0311.

Like E4B, different MOS have different vision requirements. The field I went into required that I not have any color blindness.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four_Bravo View Post
    That's impressive. I'm certain that I wouldn't be able to see anything without my eyes, yet you can see decent without them! WOW!!!

Yes, vision can have an impact on your MOS. There are some jobs that require 20/20 vision, there are others that require lower vision standards. From what you describe, you should be fine. You can wear glasses and be an 0311- just don't forget them, there have been Marines shot because some idiot decided they didn't need to wear their glasses during training.
    LMFAO! My bad. Thanks for noticing my typo, and thanks for the info.

Go For your 0311. There will be no issue at all!!! Thats the best MOS in the Corps anyway...Have fun at boot camp, Just stay Squared Away and Listen to Everything. Good Luck

Your vision technically doesn't affect your MoS as long as you have some form of BC's or Contacts that correct your vision to 20/20.

At least that's what I was told when I got my MoS.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four_Bravo View Post
    Smartass lol.

You'll be fine dude, my eyesight is terrible without my glasses and I'm a 0351

Quote Originally Posted by mgkusmc View Post
    Smartass lol.

You'll be fine dude, my eyesight is terrible without my glasses and I'm a 0351
    All you need is some friggen sharks with some friggen laser beams.

Got LASIK; cost 5k back then, they dropped it to 3.5k because I was former military and gave me 0% financing. Of course I didn't have to speak with my CO prior

Quote Originally Posted by OldGruntNamVet View Post
    Go For your 0311. There will be no issue at all!!! Thats the best MOS in the Corps anyway...Have fun at boot camp, Just stay Squared Away and Listen to Everything. Good Luck

I agree with the Ssgt!!!!

Thread Information