Leaving Marshall University, Not accredited High School
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1

    Question Leaving Marshall University, Not accredited High School

    Hello all, I'm currently a student at Marshall University, this semester I'll have 12 credit hours (Would need 15 to be considered a High School Graduate), I'm currently a freshman. My High School Diploma isn't accredited (Or the USMC won't accept it, even though Marshall did)..

    Anyway, I want to go now, I'm tired of college, I don't want to do OCS, I want to get my hands dirty, 0300... I would need to get my GED, and my recruiter tells me there are very few slots for GED applicants, if I chose that route.

    So, with a high ASVAB if I went and got my GED would I be a good candidate? I took my ASVAB over 3 years ago and got an 83 or something.
    Any advice? I won't settle for joining the Army....


  2. #2
    Marine Free Member davblay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sparta, Tn
    Posts
    3,377
    Credits
    9,588
    Savings
    0
    Images
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by JKPoenaDare View Post
    Hello all, I'm currently a student at Marshall University, this semester I'll have 12 credit hours (Would need 15 to be considered a High School Graduate), I'm currently a freshman. My High School Diploma isn't accredited (Or the USMC won't accept it, even though Marshall did)..

    Anyway, I want to go now, I'm tired of college, I don't want to do OCS, I want to get my hands dirty, 0300... I would need to get my GED, and my recruiter tells me there are very few slots for GED applicants, if I chose that route.

    So, with a high ASVAB if I went and got my GED would I be a good candidate? I took my ASVAB over 3 years ago and got an 83 or something.
    Any advice? I won't settle for joining the Army....
    Not being a actve recruiter, repeat, not being a active duty recruiter, I do know the Corps has a very low percentage of GEDs they can enlist, I mean like 5% or so.

    But if you have an outstanding ASVAB with good line scores, you never know, work with your recruiter!

    My advice, follow your recruiters advice, he gets paid for that kind of stuff.

    Good luck to you, I hope everything works out for you, man!

    Dave


  3. #3
    Dude, Marshall is a really good school I wish I could be going there right now.


  4. #4
    JK,
    Firstly go herd! My father is a Marshall Grad.

    To the matter at hand; As somone who recently got out of the Marine Corps and began college, I understand how bad the college life really sucks regardless of all the fun it is portrayed to be. That having been said I also understand that desire to get into the corps and how trivial and minute everything else seems by comparison.

    I will however offer this personal insight for you. I joined the Corps at 18 and served my four, and never looked back, and while i wasn't a grunt I still understand the life.

    My strong recommendation to you, would be to stay the course and see your way through school. I had many collegues that did have their degree, but decided to enlist instead, and they hated themselves for it. Being enlisted is great don't get me wrong, but if you are even 1% interested in making a career of the corps you should strongly reconsider your actions.

    That having been said from an emotional prospective the logical solution is remarkably close. If you have been advised that GED slots are limited and you are only 3 credit hours from the 15 required you might as well see that through, as that is probably your best bet.

    If it is a getting your foot the door issue, another full semester puts you real close to the PLC window as well.

    Sorry about the wall of text.


  5. #5

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Lucas View Post
    JK,
    Firstly go herd! My father is a Marshall Grad.

    To the matter at hand; As somone who recently got out of the Marine Corps and began college, I understand how bad the college life really sucks regardless of all the fun it is portrayed to be. That having been said I also understand that desire to get into the corps and how trivial and minute everything else seems by comparison.

    I will however offer this personal insight for you. I joined the Corps at 18 and served my four, and never looked back, and while i wasn't a grunt I still understand the life.

    My strong recommendation to you, would be to stay the course and see your way through school. I had many collegues that did have their degree, but decided to enlist instead, and they hated themselves for it. Being enlisted is great don't get me wrong, but if you are even 1% interested in making a career of the corps you should strongly reconsider your actions.

    That having been said from an emotional prospective the logical solution is remarkably close. If you have been advised that GED slots are limited and you are only 3 credit hours from the 15 required you might as well see that through, as that is probably your best bet.

    If it is a getting your foot the door issue, another full semester puts you real close to the PLC window as well.

    Sorry about the wall of text.

    I'm extremely happy to have such a response, and honored that you'd take the time to even write it... I've not done so well in school, and I've had some troubles in the past.. (NOTHING MAJOR), but when I was 18, a bunch of friends from high school (after we graduated) went to WalMart on a stealing spree (Running out the door with beer) to celebrate, and well... We all got arrested... I think only 8 people got charged, but I was one of them, Shoplifting...
    In retrospect, it's kinda funny that I even did that, but... The recruiter seemed to think it'd be increasingly hard to get me in with a GED and a shoplifting charge... He did however say that it was possible, and if I stayed the course, I'd probably be able to get a slot by March....

    Growing up, I always wanted to be in the Military, I've taken ROTC at Marshall for the Army, but quit attending class... I could easily contract with them... And I've spoken to an officer recruiter for the Marines as well, next year I'd be eligible to go to OCS, but the problem lies in that I believe my funding is going to be cut because I got below a 2.0 this year.. I had a scholarship, a grant, and 2 separate loans, this will all be cut down to one loan, which won't even cover tuition, unless I write an appeal (Which is easily done)... But... I'm 21 years old... I'm getting too old to join as a private, I need to get the ball rolling, I need out of Huntington, the most unhealthy city in America (Literally).

    College is great, and I do plan to finish it... Right now though, it just seems like my mind is everywhere BUT college. I just lost my Fiance` (To my friend, not to death) and I lost my apartment. I'm sitting on my moms couch typing this, and I feel like a waste of life....

    I had considered doing the Reservist thing, I'd have to drive to Ohio or Kentucky becasue the unit near here is Combat Engineer, and I want Infantry. Theres a lot in my head, and the fear of being stuck with mortarman almost makes me want to go for reservist (Because they have slots for machinegunner, assultman, etc)... (But, I'd love to get out and see the world, overseas duty)

    I do believe, sir, that I have toppled your wall, and built one proportonate to the Great Wall.. Hell, you're just berlin... And, my apologies for ranting on, it's just so much to process, you know? I know I want the Marine Corps, I know I want Infantry, and I've known this since I was 15 years old, but time is growing short, and there are a lot of obsticles in my way.

    I'll try to make the best of it, and any feedback/comments/recommendations would be excellent.


  6. #6
    I didn't start going to college until after the Corps. I had a GED and got one of those precious slots. I had a high ASVAB score and had to write a paper on why I dropped out of high school.

    I had like 18 hours notice before I shipped and almost wasn't able to get my finances and all that trash straight. Back then I had the chance to go to school (had already done vocational school) and didn't take it. I enlisted when I wasn't ready, got broke and carried on. I was an office pogue but I was a Marine office pogue and that made all the difference.

    21 ain't too old to be a private. Hell, 29 ain't too old; with the reenlistment process taking so long I may be 29 before I can go back in. Regardless it gives me something to shoot for and that's when I do my best.

    School ain't that hard; I let my grades fall because I fell into the bad habits of life as a civilian. Now I'm motivated as hell and I'll be damned if 2k in out of pocket expenses for college is going to stop me.

    If you want it, buckle up, knuckle down and work for it. Get those 3 stinkin credits, get yourself where you need to be, and get yourself shipped!


  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRemorse View Post
    I didn't start going to college until after the Corps. I had a GED and got one of those precious slots. I had a high ASVAB score and had to write a paper on why I dropped out of high school.

    I had like 18 hours notice before I shipped and almost wasn't able to get my finances and all that trash straight. Back then I had the chance to go to school (had already done vocational school) and didn't take it. I enlisted when I wasn't ready, got broke and carried on. I was an office pogue but I was a Marine office pogue and that made all the difference.

    21 ain't too old to be a private. Hell, 29 ain't too old; with the reenlistment process taking so long I may be 29 before I can go back in. Regardless it gives me something to shoot for and that's when I do my best.

    School ain't that hard; I let my grades fall because I fell into the bad habits of life as a civilian. Now I'm motivated as hell and I'll be damned if 2k in out of pocket expenses for college is going to stop me.

    If you want it, buckle up, knuckle down and work for it. Get those 3 stinkin credits, get yourself where you need to be, and get yourself shipped!
    Thanks for the reply
    I'm from a poverty stricken area, and well... I've got a car that has 2 flat tires and something's wrong with the fuel filter or something, it's an old Diesel Mercedes, and I can't afford to even buy groceries and help pay for rent, much less dish out two-thousand dollars (My tuition is roughly $4,700) per-semester, by the way, Marshall isn't cheap.


  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by JKPoenaDare View Post
    I'm extremely happy to have such a response, and honored that you'd take the time to even write it... I've not done so well in school, and I've had some troubles in the past.. (NOTHING MAJOR), but when I was 18, a bunch of friends from high school (after we graduated) went to WalMart on a stealing spree (Running out the door with beer) to celebrate, and well... We all got arrested... I think only 8 people got charged, but I was one of them, 1.Shoplifting...
    In retrospect, it's kinda funny that I even did that, but... The recruiter seemed to think it'd be 2.increasingly hard to get me in with a GED and a shoplifting charge... He did however say that it was possible, and if I stayed the course, I'd probably be able to get a slot by March....

    3.Growing up, I always wanted to be in the Military, I've taken ROTC at Marshall for the Army, but quit attending class... I could easily contract with them... And I've spoken to an officer recruiter for the Marines as well, next year I'd be eligible to go to OCS, but the problem lies in that I believe my 4.funding is going to be cut because I got below a 2.0 this year.. I had a scholarship, a grant, and 2 separate loans, this will all be cut down to one loan, which 5.won't even cover tuition, unless I write an appeal (Which is easily done)... But... I'm 21 years old... I'm getting too old to join as a private, I need to get the ball rolling, 6.I need out of Huntington, the most unhealthy city in America (Literally).

    7.College is great, and I do plan to finish it... Right now though, it just seems like my mind is everywhere BUT college. I just lost my Fiance` (To my friend, not to death) and I lost my apartment. I'm sitting on my moms couch typing this, and I feel like a waste of life....

    8.I had considered doing the Reservist thing, I'd have to drive to Ohio or Kentucky becasue the unit near here is Combat Engineer, and I want Infantry. Theres a lot in my head, and the fear of being stuck with mortarman almost makes me want to go for reservist (Because they have slots for machinegunner, assultman, etc)... (But, I'd love to get out and see the world, overseas duty)

    I do believe, sir, that I have toppled your wall, and built one proportonate to the Great Wall.. Hell, you're just berlin... And, my apologies for ranting on, it's just so much to process, you know? I know I want the Marine Corps, 9.I know I want Infantry, and I've known this since I was 15 years old, but time is growing short, and there are a lot of obsticles in my way.

    I'll try to make the best of it, and any feedback/comments/recommendations would be excellent.
    A nice post indeed sir,

    For clarity purposes I have bolded your statements and arranged them into bullets, if I have missed somthing please feel free to remind me and i will adress that problem as it arises.

    1.The shoplifting charge;
    Not nearly the same thing, but close none the less.. When I was 15 like an idiot I thought stealing was cool, I literally got arrested for stealing a candy bar. I know it sounds like the proverbial haha, but i assure you it is true. Now in my situation, I was able to have my record expunged due to being a minor, so I am not exactly sure about your situation. I can tell you this as someone who was not a recruiter, there is a waiver for you somewhere it is just a matter of uncovering it.

    2. I think that this statement is spot on. You should view your situation as this. You are applying for a job, really a profession but still, and whatever you can do to make yourself more competitive for that job should be done.Bottom line, for you; finish at least 3 more hours. If you need to go to a community college so be it. If nothing else get those 3 hours otherwise you are a huge time investment, one that an over missioned recruiter may not be interested in pursuing.

    3. I can somewhat identify with this. I never overtly knew that I wanted in the Marine Corps or the military for that matter, but i always knew it underneath. If what you say is true this will not change in 4 years of college, but may change as a boot at your first unit. Either way, again college seems like your best path if a career is your eventual outcome. If you are just looking for a head start, enlist. Either way you are still stuck with the 3 hours predicament.

    4. As for funding.. I am not sure of your financial status, and if you want to discuss somthing like that send me a PM, i will be happy to send you my contact info. However it seems like you are still living at home? Do you have a part time job? And if so have you tried to find one that offers tuition assistance? On top of that are you aware that the Marine Corps recently offered a 30k tuition reimbursement for current officers?Clicky
    While I cannot guarantee that this will still be around when you come in, it is resonable to assume that the probability of it is mediocre.

    5.See # 4

    6. I completely identify with this. When I enlisted in 2002 I lived in Williamson county Tennessee. Brentwood is like the beverly hills of the south. Every Damn person there had their flag or support the troops sticker but I was the only person from my high school to go in directly out of high school. While your reasons may be different, I think you can see the parallels.

    While your milelage may very, the outcome is still the same. IF YOU HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO BECOME AN OFFICER DO SO!!!!

    7.From a party perspective college is a blast, but if you are not either A) 19 years old or B) unconcerned with your future, you start to see the garbage of the situation.

    8. This may be your best option, regardless of MOS. I have a long story about this but I will save it for a future post if required.

    9. This may change over time, again i will respond to this in the future if needed.


  9. #9
    Honestly, save yourself some trouble and just get the 3 more college credits. Most schools have something self paced you can do, whether it is on the internet or through traditional correspondence. Get in one of those classes and get it taken care of. You have 12 credits, one more class won't kill you.


  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Lucas View Post
    A nice post indeed sir,

    For clarity purposes I have bolded your statements and arranged them into bullets, if I have missed somthing please feel free to remind me and i will adress that problem as it arises.

    1.The shoplifting charge;
    Not nearly the same thing, but close none the less.. When I was 15 like an idiot I thought stealing was cool, I literally got arrested for stealing a candy bar. I know it sounds like the proverbial haha, but i assure you it is true. Now in my situation, I was able to have my record expunged due to being a minor, so I am not exactly sure about your situation. I can tell you this as someone who was not a recruiter, there is a waiver for you somewhere it is just a matter of uncovering it.

    2. I think that this statement is spot on. You should view your situation as this. You are applying for a job, really a profession but still, and whatever you can do to make yourself more competitive for that job should be done.Bottom line, for you; finish at least 3 more hours. If you need to go to a community college so be it. If nothing else get those 3 hours otherwise you are a huge time investment, one that an over missioned recruiter may not be interested in pursuing.

    3. I can somewhat identify with this. I never overtly knew that I wanted in the Marine Corps or the military for that matter, but i always knew it underneath. If what you say is true this will not change in 4 years of college, but may change as a boot at your first unit. Either way, again college seems like your best path if a career is your eventual outcome. If you are just looking for a head start, enlist. Either way you are still stuck with the 3 hours predicament.

    4. As for funding.. I am not sure of your financial status, and if you want to discuss somthing like that send me a PM, i will be happy to send you my contact info. However it seems like you are still living at home? Do you have a part time job? And if so have you tried to find one that offers tuition assistance? On top of that are you aware that the Marine Corps recently offered a 30k tuition reimbursement for current officers?Clicky
    While I cannot guarantee that this will still be around when you come in, it is resonable to assume that the probability of it is mediocre.

    5.See # 4

    6. I completely identify with this. When I enlisted in 2002 I lived in Williamson county Tennessee. Brentwood is like the beverly hills of the south. Every Damn person there had their flag or support the troops sticker but I was the only person from my high school to go in directly out of high school. While your reasons may be different, I think you can see the parallels.

    While your milelage may very, the outcome is still the same. IF YOU HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO BECOME AN OFFICER DO SO!!!!

    7.From a party perspective college is a blast, but if you are not either A) 19 years old or B) unconcerned with your future, you start to see the garbage of the situation.

    8. This may be your best option, regardless of MOS. I have a long story about this but I will save it for a future post if required.

    9. This may change over time, again i will respond to this in the future if needed.
    Wow, you really took a lot of time to address that post... That's awesome..

    Okay, I'm going to go ahead and grab my GED anyway, since it's only a $50 test and I won't have to study for it, cake...

    In the meantime, I'm going to see what I can do to address the college funding issue... I'll write the appeal if needed, and transfer to state, if needed... But being under academic probation, I have to carry at least 13 hours I believe, so I'll have to go full time...
    Having no car, and no means of transportation (and living 10 miles from the nearest business of any type) makes things a little more difficult...
    Well, you've actually helped me resolve a lot of issues I thought I'd just have to figure out on my own... Thanks a lot for responding with such attention to what I had actually said...

    I'll keep you updated on whats happening, as it happens... I don't get final grades until the 19th, I may have failed a class I didn't know about and need more than 3 credits, who knows.

    Thanks again..


  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by JKPoenaDare View Post
    Thanks for the reply
    I'm from a poverty stricken area, and well... I've got a car that has 2 flat tires and something's wrong with the fuel filter or something, it's an old Diesel Mercedes, and I can't afford to even buy groceries and help pay for rent, much less dish out two-thousand dollars (My tuition is roughly $4,700) per-semester, by the way, Marshall isn't cheap.
    Understandable. The cost of living here is ludicrously high and I don't get paid that damn much. It's one of the downsides of being located in this part of New York. Cars fail, sometimes you go hungry and schooling is expensive. It applies anywhere.

    There are programs out there, there are places where you can apply for aid and there are others on this forum who can provide some more answers for your location.

    I let my grades slip as well. Had I let them drop further I'd be assed out on financial aid. I was able to get a few grants because I was a disabled veteran when I started school.

    Motivation is key; it will get you through those long, hungry days. Here's the upside; you get through this and you'll be ahead of most recruits at boot. You'll be able to take away that much more because you're used to hard work and making miracles out of nothing.

    I can't provide specific answers for you because I'm not on the ground with you. If you were here I'd give you a laundry list of crap to do, places to apply at, and a smoking session whenever you needed it (or I felt like it quite frankly).

    Just remember what's at the end of the road if you make: the title of Marine.


  12. #12

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by NoRemorse View Post
    Understandable. The cost of living here is ludicrously high and I don't get paid that damn much. It's one of the downsides of being located in this part of New York. Cars fail, sometimes you go hungry and schooling is expensive. It applies anywhere.

    There are programs out there, there are places where you can apply for aid and there are others on this forum who can provide some more answers for your location.

    I let my grades slip as well. Had I let them drop further I'd be assed out on financial aid. I was able to get a few grants because I was a disabled veteran when I started school.

    Motivation is key; it will get you through those long, hungry days. Here's the upside; you get through this and you'll be ahead of most recruits at boot. You'll be able to take away that much more because you're used to hard work and making miracles out of nothing.

    I can't provide specific answers for you because I'm not on the ground with you. If you were here I'd give you a laundry list of crap to do, places to apply at, and a smoking session whenever you needed it (or I felt like it quite frankly).

    Just remember what's at the end of the road if you make: the title of Marine.
    Well put
    Smoking? Maybe some Marijuana you suggest? Haha, been there, done that... Of course, can't let MEPS know that. As a matter of fact, I've done my share of bad things.... Probably have enough to share with about 20 other people too... I've just been lucky in getting away with/living through all of them. (I know you were talking about cigarettes)

    I'll get my **** taken care of for sure, I'll do what I have to ... Hell, theres a vocational school that I can get 30 credits from just for going to for a year and getting my A+ cert, it's only like $2,000. I could probably get at least $5,000 out of my Mercedes just for parts, it's a rarity and in amazing condition, I paid $11,000 for it, back when I had a life savings account.

    Thanks everyone for the replies really, I'd be pretty much lost without them. It means a lot to me, and I'm sure will actually affect my life in a positive way.

    Hopefully I can earn that title, some day.


  13. #13
    Getting the A+ cert would be great, no matter what you do with your life.

    I don't know much about the college system in WV, even though I now end up in Huntington on a near weekly basis. But, I'm sure there is some way you can make things work for you, no matter what you're wanting to do.

    You have had a motivation problem in college- no big deal there. Plenty of people have had similar issues. It is nothing that you cannot work your way through though. You seem to be quite intelligent and capable. And just as importantly, you own up to your problems and don't blame them on everyone else. That tells me you have all the potential in the world.

    Go talk to the financial aid people, hell talk to the National Guard recruiters, talk to everyone. There is a way to pay for your school and keep on the path you want to be on. Or, go get your GED, talk to the Marine Recruiter, and make it happen. The slots may be limited, but there's no reason you can't get one of them.


  14. #14
    [quote=JKPoenaDare;424509]Well put
    Smoking? Maybe some Marijuana you suggest? Haha, been there, done that... Of course, can't let MEPS know that. As a matter of fact, I've done my share of bad things.... Probably have enough to share with about 20 other people too... I've just been lucky in getting away with/living through all of them. (I know you were talking about cigarettes)

    I was actually talking about smoking your ass. Nothing like a little IT to motivate someone even more.

    As for all that trash you're not going to tell MEPS. You posted it on the friggen internet.

    Ya got potential; you'll figure it out.


  15. #15
    Marine Free Member Quinbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ft. Bragg
    Posts
    4,065
    Credits
    13,234
    Savings
    0
    Images
    37
    Speaking of $50 go take yourself a 6 credit hour CLEP test and be done with it.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not Create Posts
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts