H&MS-17, 1st MAW, Danang 68-69 - Page 7
Create Post
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    My next antic was to catch one of those iridescent big green flies that were always around the out-houses. I carefully tied a thread around it's neck & onto one of my shirt buttons. He was my "pet fly". At that point I was busing dishes on the lifer side. A gunnery sgt. swatted my fly, & I raised a bug ruckus about him killing "Freddie". Dr. Merjavy was close by at the time, and he looked at me very seriously and said "If you are really bothered by that, perhaps you should come see me at sick bay". I didn't have the heart to tell him it was simply an antic to try & get off mess duty. That episode got me moved to the scullery though.

Does anyone remember the excitement trying to clear V.C. out of the textile mill off the south end of the runway? This was after "mini Tet" in Feb. '69.

How about being on "Reactionary platoon" when the rockets came in? Jumping out of bed & getting dressed, grabbing your rifle & assembling as fast as possible? Usually the V.C. had an impeccable sense of timing and would inevitably do this on the nights when we were especially tired - or stoned - or drunk.

I was in H&MS 11. Got to DaNang in Jan of 1969 and stayed till Jan. 70. I was assigned to VMA-225 out of Millington but was transfer to H&MS 14 very shortly after getting to Cherry Point. I was transferred back to 225 to make the trip to Nam and was immediately transferred to H&MS 11 when we got to DaNang.
    I can't remember where H&MS 17 were located. Both living area or flight line. I was in Avionics. I was on the reactionary platoon a good 7 to 8 months.

Quote Originally Posted by miked23 View Post
    Hey Doc Wilder,

As far as musical instruments, the only one I ever learned to play was the record player.

In thinking back, I do remember the incident you wrote about earlier, where someone was shot through the captain's door. I had forgotten completely about that.

Some of your remarks to Doc Jones reminded me of something funny that happened the last time I was near your neck of the woods. In '99 one of my daughters and I were on an extended road trip (7 weeks). Sometime when we were in D.C. I got a bladder infection. Went to the Doc in a box, who gave me something for it and warned me it would turn my urine a bright neon color, but not to worry about it. Later I stopped at one of those gas station/fast food places in the middle of the freeway. The urinal was like a horse trough, running all along the wall. There was a guy 'downstream' from me. I waited until he saw the bright neon color running towards him, and when he looked up I said "I can't help, it's been that color ever since I took that job at the nuclear power plant". He left in a hurry.
    .................................................. ................................That's a great story Rocketman-I love it.I wonder what that guy-from the bathroom told people.Good thing it wasn't tincture of violet-Rocketman-I don't remember you missing a finger.I do remember that you had a great sense-of humor and I always thought you were Kool;A little extra-cerebral-very smart.Let me get to the next thread

One night my friend Andy (Rauman) took me to your hootch. I don't remember if it was your rack or not, but Andy put headphones on me & started playing the Beatles song "Number 9". It was the first time I had ever heard that album, and I was stoned at the time. The whole album really blew my mind, especially "Rocky Raccoon". Was that your tape machine?

You might remember Andy - Blond guy with a long mustache. That's how he got the name Rauman - Rau is Vietnamese for mustache. He and I spent some time working together in the wing post office. He was in ordinance and I was Avionics. If I remember correctly, he is the guy who introduced us.
    .................................................. .......I don't remember Andy-wish I did.That was my Sony 355 Deck-but that was HM3 Crowell's area.He had a Sharp-Radio Amp-that I plugged the Sony 355 into.That was in the front-right of the F8-hutch.My area was back by the rear-screen-door-right side.Outside the wall by my bed was the bunker,so I felt safe on that side.I used to get under-my rack-when rockets-came in.There was a big chest-locker under my bed.I used to get behind this locker-and have protection-between the locker and the bunker.If a rocket hit-I would be dust;but that was part of the fun.You were in Avionics ,always thought you were with those "Data Entry Guys" in your hutch.They had some ego-and actually worked on computers-but I didn't know what a computer was then.HM3-Crowell-had many records-sent from home.There was Buffalo-Springfield-The White Beatles album-Peter Paul &Mary-"The Great Mendella"Album-Johnny Rivers Album-Janis Joplin,Flo&Eddie,-many albums.I packed up his gear-when he was Medi-Vaced.He was my best friend in Nam.I called him when I was stateside back-home.He spoke to me but wasn't to friendly.He told me he got married and wanted to be a Nurse-Anesthetist. I never called him again and he never called me.God Bless him.Those were Koss Headphones-so the music sounded good.Someone in your hutch-Had the Jeff Beck-Rod Stewart-album-Ain't Superstitious-and it blew me away.You know Corpsman had to be on the Alert-for Anything-If "you Cant Function"-"the Marines Will Kill You".So I drank as you know-didn't like feeling paralyzed-paranoid.Now that I'm free-I'm open to new things.Pass The Hi-U-Waza-medicine man.On to the next tread.

Does anyone remember the excitement trying to clear V.C. out of the textile mill off the south end of the runway? This was after "mini Tet" in Feb. '69.

How about being on "Reactionary platoon" when the rockets came in? Jumping out of bed & getting dressed, grabbing your rifle & assembling as fast as possible? Usually the V.C. had an impeccable sense of timing and would inevitably do this on the nights when we were especially tired - or stoned - or drunk.
    .................................................. ..............Hm3 Crowell was on Reactionary Platoon-I was on Contingency Platoon-When I was on duty at the Dispensary-I had a Secondary fill in fo me.Don't really remember-that incident-with the VC.I do remember-some Vietnamese workers-on MWSG-17-eating the food out of the Mess-Halls-Garbage Cans.Then-(Surprise-Surprise)some of these workers turned out to be VC.Tunnels being dug-leading to the Airstrip-behind the Rec-Hall-in the tall grasses-was found.That guy that invented the Thumb-Drive-He should get the Noble Prize-what an achievement.I'm not "nosy"-Did you invent a game-for Microsoft?Do you know Bill Gates,Steve Jobs, from Apple?.I took a computer programming course-at Lehman College in the Bronx.It was Called-PL1-kicked my ass-I got a "D"-and I was one of the best students-in the beginning.I think I have a very short attention span.The only thing that holds my interest-is Medicine-for some reason.Martial-Arts-eh-I got fat-about 55 pounds overweight.I'm 5ft 8in-and weigh about 233 pounds.Big difference from Nam.I can move around very well and still am fast.Bing an X-ray tech was kind of like -being in an Anaerobic(no-air)Exercise-class for 25&1/2 years.So the ticker is still good.Being retired for almost 8 years has taken a toll.I'm lazy-good thing they are building a Planet Fitness Gym here.I'll save my life by joining.People that work live longer-than people that don't.Have I answered everything? Hmm-don't know?I see it's 12:03-am now.Think I'll have dinner now.No really hungry-must be the heat....Think I'll take off now-and force some of this food-down my gullet.Where is that stuff that makes you hungry-now.New York's got nothing-unless you have 6 or 7 hundred dollars-to throw away.Tinnitus-prevents expanding the mind for me-at this time.So it's one or two of Coors Lite-240z-for Me-Told you my Tinnitus was bad.Makes me nuts sometime;.What a gift-Semper FI my Brother

Quote Originally Posted by lastcigar View Post
    I was in H&MS 11. Got to DaNang in Jan of 1969 and stayed till Jan. 70. I was assigned to VMA-225 out of Millington but was transfer to H&MS 14 very shortly after getting to Cherry Point. I was transferred back to 225 to make the trip to Nam and was immediately transferred to H&MS 11 when we got to DaNang.
    I can't remember where H&MS 17 were located. Both living area or flight line. I was in Avionics. I was on the reactionary platoon a good 7 to 8 months.
    Hello SGT lastcigar-MWSG-17-was right over the fence-We were Neighbors.I had a Corpsman friend at Mag11-HM3 George Wilson-We were in Corpsman school together-Didn't see much of him in Nam-but we were good friends.I would really-like to find the Where-Abouts-of my friend Ronald L.Beaver-CPL.He was stationed on the First Marine AirWing-by these big rubber underground-fuel tanks.Don't remember the name of the area.When I was released from Long Beach Naval Hospital-I spent a week with-him and his wife Cathy.They invited to stay at their house-Had a great time there-Wonderful People-I miss them also....Gotta go now neighbor-I think MAG 11 was nicer than MWSG-17-area.Had to stay away from MAG11-that's where they pushed you into being a Medi-Vac Chopper Corpsman-like DocGreek-God Bless Him.So I kinda stayed out of there.Time to chow down on some cold-Chinese food.SGT LastCigar-nice visiting you at Mag11-Semper FI neighbor Brother

Doc Wilder,

It was your tape machine then, because I remember 2 things distinctly: 1. It was by the back door, 2. The headphones were Koss, in fact I was so impressed by them that I bought a pair when I got home. Used them for years & really liked them.

After retirement I put on a lot of weight, then in 2008 I lost 80 lbs. don't know where it went, I wasn't trying, the pounds just fell away. Now I am pretty average for a 61 y/o 6'1" 213 lbs.

My little sister became an X-ray tech about 25 years ago, then segued into ultrasound & really likes it. Her hubby is also a tech & teaches classes on it.

As far as the V.C., I knew there were some working on the base, and heard about them eating the garbage. Guess by their standards we threw out a lot of good food. Well what would you expect of teen-agers?

Bert Kinyon (Noynic), was one of my friends who worked in disbursing and he said that it turned out the VC had a hospital under our runway. If so, the V.C. were really ingenious, who would ever think to look there? Besides we weren't likely to bomb it arbitrarily.

Doc Wilder,

As far as Bill Gates, I met him once before he hit the big-time. Thought he was a nerdy-twerp who would never get anywhere. I guess I might have mis-judged him a little bit.

As far as my most successful invention; back in '92 the internet was just catching on for most people, and so were cell phones. I invented a technology that allowed you to connect a modem to your cell phone & send data at high speeds. You could then take your laptop computer & send email etc. wherever you went. Got a 2 page write-up in Forbes magazine back in '95. Lot's of fun, now everybody is using some new version on the digital networks. If you would like I can email you a copy of the article.

I think the area near the rubber fuel bladders was called MABS-11. It would have been exciting to live near those fuel bladders if a rocket ever hit one. Campfire anyone?

Doc Wilder,

It was your tape machine then, because I remember 2 things distinctly: 1. It was by the back door, 2. The headphones were Koss, in fact I was so impressed by them that I bought a pair when I got home. Used them for years & really liked them.

After retirement I put on a lot of weight, then in 2008 I lost 80 lbs. don't know where it went, I wasn't trying, the pounds just fell away. Now I am pretty average for a 61 y/o 6'1" 213 lbs.

My little sister became an X-ray tech about 25 years ago, then segued into ultrasound & really likes it. Her hubby is also a tech & teaches classes on it.

As far as the V.C., I knew there were some working on the base, and heard about them eating the garbage. Guess by their standards we threw out a lot of good food. Well what would you expect of teen-agers?

Bert Kinyon (Noynic), was one of my friends who worked in disbursing and he said that it turned out the VC had a hospital under our runway. If so, the V.C. were really ingenious, who would ever think to look there? Besides we weren't likely to bomb it arbitrarily.
    ---------Hey Rocketman-Still didn't sleep-I don't think I sleep well since I-retired.I think I just pass out-I don't remember dreaming at all-these days.I never had bad dreams-After I came back from-Nam-I do remember dreaming in green and red for about two years.I think my mind forgets bad stuff-and or blocks it out.Hypnosis probably-could bring out some stuff,but I don't think I would trust the inducer-so cancel that.Speaking of those Koss headphones,they belonged to HM3 Crowell.The Stereo-was never-by my rack-only by HM3 Crowell's area.A Viet-Kong hospital-under the flight line?That's a new one to me-never thought of that-if it's true;Cleaver boys.When those rockets hit the flight-line-I thought there were elevators-that took the jets underground.Little Willie-Corpsman-told me once he was at the flight line-and an Air-Force Person-got hit by some shrapnel-nd was pinned in one of those elevators.Did not like that story. Little Willie was in charge of putting Peanut-Butter in Rat traps.I once saw a rat go-down a sewer by the chow hall.This Creature was as big as a fat big dog.Cant quite now remember -your questions. get back to you later Bro.Do you think I should-tell that story-about the EM-Club and the guy that called me baldy?-It was one of my vain-stupid stories.Don't know right now-Gotta go-actually crashing now.......Buenos Noches-

Doc Wilder,

As far as Bill Gates, I met him once before he hit the big-time. Thought he was a nerdy-twerp who would never get anywhere. I guess I might have mis-judged him a little bit.

As far as my most successful invention; back in '92 the internet was just catching on for most people, and so were cell phones. I invented a technology that allowed you to connect a modem to your cell phone & send data at high speeds. You could then take your laptop computer & send email etc. wherever you went. Got a 2 page write-up in Forbes magazine back in '95. Lot's of fun, now everybody is using some new version on the digital networks. If you would like I can email you a copy of the article.
    .................................................R ocketman-I would -be honored to read your write up in Forbes magazine-It's allnwldr@hotmail.com-I think ultra-sound is better than x-ray-tech.An ultrasound tech has to identify-pathology-and know how to image it.Men don't usually become Ultrasound tech's.It's less hectic than x-ray.The patient is already on a stretcher -you may have to turn them-but you don't have to pick these patients up.Less damage to the back.Most x-ray workers-have bad backs-this happens after years of work.That body dynamics-bend your knees-lift with your legs-not with your back-is bull.Now if I could have gotten through-organic college chemistry-I could have been an MD.You seem to have done well-good for you.You should be proud-that you-have advanced-Software Development in this world.That's a great Contribution-you have made.Rocketman-I always said-you were a smart guy.I don't know any software-developers.I guess you have a degree in Electrical-Engineering also.Not bad.Thanks-for telling me the name of that under-ground-rubber fuel tank-area.A Marine-posted that he was from-the Laams-area-I forgot where that's located.When Radioman had those pictures-of him holding the M14-I thought there was another picture of him pointing his weapon-from his rack.The stock of this M14-was a light beige.I don't see that picture-there any more.OH-I have to make a public announcement here.I know all the Doc's here know this.Not sure if all the Marines know this-Here goes.......The Saliva of a Rabid-Animal-will Inoculate you with rabies-just as if you were bitten by a Rabid-Animal.Just wanted to let you guys know that-if you didn't know already.By the way-How do I scan pictures on to a page like Radioman did.I have a few from Nam-that I would like to submit.Any way Rocketman-I'm still beat.This body likes to party to much-that's the way it's always been.It just hates to go to sleep.Cant control that part of me very well;Wish I could.So I'm gonna make like a Shepard-and get the Flock-out of here.Be well everyone-HMMM-I wonder whose on coast to coast am-this morning.Lately the content has been poor......God Bless Everyone here-and all Military People in Harms Way.Oh I wanted to say this before I split.The only Good thing about Navy boot camp-is that they teach you to hate-Commies.It's programmed in .Like the Tally-Bon-the Commies want us Dead, that's all.This includes Red-China-that's buying up this Country-like it's cheap land.How could the US-let this happen?.What's wrong with this picture?Gotta go now........Chow

Corpsman at mwsg-17

Hi Doc Wilder,

Did you know HM-2 Keith Vaughn or Hm-2 Jerry Tucker?

They rotated back to the sates in september 69.

I reported in around the 15 of Aug. 69. What day did you rotate back to the states.

Had Dr. Eckert arived yet?

Hav e a great day.

Doc Jones

records of war viet nam

Hi everyone,

Found a web site that has the monthly reports from all units in viet nam.

You might be able to refresh memories that are a little faded from forty years ago.

http://www.recordsofwar.com/vietnam/

Click on the Marines.

Find your unit from the list on the left side and pick the months you were their. Downloads a pdf file with the report for that month.

Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by DOC JONES View Post
    Hi Doc Wilder,

Did you know HM-2 Keith Vaughn or Hm-2 Jerry Tucker?

They rotated back to the sates in september 69.

I reported in around the 15 of Aug. 69. What day did you rotate back to the states.

Had Dr. Eckert arived yet?

Hav e a great day.

Doc Jones
    .................................................. .................Hey HM1 Doc Jones-I know both those guys very well.Keith Vaughn was once on fire-during a rocket attack;I remember I put him out.This was the rocket 122 attack that hit the back of F8-hutch and thr Rec-Hall.It's really Teddy Tucker-and He and I became very good friends if you read my earlier posts;But what about Jeffery Butler that I spoke about?.I once met Keith Vaughn at a La Memorial Day Parade.He invited me to his house to met his parents but I don't think I had 24 hour liberty-that day.Hm2 Keith Vaughn is a very good guy and good Corpsman.Very same With HM2 Teddy Tucker-These are great dudes and I miss them also.Good People that watched my back and I protected them also.Nice hearing from you Doc Jones-Be Well and be Safe----Bye from the Bronx,N.Y.

Thread Information