H&MS-17, 1st MAW, Danang 68-69 - Page 6
Create Post
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Hey Doc Wilder, sorry I have been so slow in responding. A while back you mentioned the Marine who got shot in the chest with a .45. As I recall that incident somebody was coming into the area and was asked by the guard to clear his weapon. The klutz (or was he possibly drunk? - nah... Marines never got drunk!) pointed his .45 at the guard (on purpose or not?) and shot the guard in the chest. The victim did kick the bucket as I recall. Never figured out whether it was an accident.

Another incident you might recall was when some marines were horsing around & one got run over by a 6X. The truck was backing up & didn't see him. Never heard whether he kicked the bucket or not, but expect he did as he was pretty well squished.

-Rocketman

Another thing I recall; the first night I was in '17 we got rocketed, and I ran out to the bunker. After a while I noticed there wasn't anyone else in the bunker, so I went back into the hootch and asked "Aren't you guys going into the bunker?", only to hear someone exclaim "Hell NO! - there's red ants out there!". I went back to the bunker, only to later exclaim "Oh my! so there are!" (or words to that effect, possibly including some expletives), and went back to bed. The bunker was reserved for true emergencies, the times we didn't mind the red ants.

One time I was on mess duty - which as you might surmise I didn't much care for. I was assigned to the scullery, washing dishes for the lifers. There was a popular thing written on the wall of many of the outhouses "Lifers are like flies - they eat sh_t and bother people".

My friend Larry Arnold came in and was talking to me, when one of the senior NCO's came in & started yelling at Larry about us working too slow. When he got done yelling I said (in a really mild & soothing way) "I don't want to spoil your entire rant, but the guy you just yelled at isn't even on mess duty". The NCO then says "WHAT IS HE DOING HERE THEN? WE PUT UP DOORS TO KEEP THEM OUT!" I said "I don't know, it's a screen door, I think we use them to keep flies out. Whereupon Larry says "But it doesn't work, you come in and yell at us anyway."

Quote Originally Posted by DOC JONES View Post
    Hello Doc Wilder,

You were talking about Kim at the e-club. Is that the one who was a dental assistant also? I remember Mi who worked at the 4-5 club. She was the best looking of all the girls who worked the clubs. I had th take chest x-rays of all the bar girls, It was a tough job. I had no gowns for them so they had to walk around the x-ray area with out there tops on.

got to go for now
    Lucky you.

I was in the Util. Div. there. We did all the maint. of the place I was mostly in the Carpenter Shop. I was there Sept. 68 to Oct. 69. I did guard duty too of the flightline and other places. I was a MP for the 3rd Military Police Battalion and the brig. My mos was 1371 Combat Eng. I think I was in hut F11 that what I have a photo of. It was over 40 years ago. I have a few photo of the place the bomb dump going off. Sorry to say I have photo of the guys I worked and drink with but I don't really remember ther names. I have some of the girls I knew too they have names on the back. I had a ruff thime there but no red ants ha ha, a good time too I was young 20 years old. We really had a good Div. to work for too because I think we could get just about anything we wanted. Went to Dog Patch a lot of times. If any body on here that know anything about the Util. Div. hit me back here or my e-mail is rugerky@live.com.
    Semper Fi....

Quote Originally Posted by miked23 View Post
    Hey Doc Wilder, sorry I have been so slow in responding. A while back you mentioned the Marine who got shot in the chest with a .45. As I recall that incident somebody was coming into the area and was asked by the guard to clear his weapon. The klutz (or was he possibly drunk? - nah... Marines never got drunk!) pointed his .45 at the guard (on purpose or not?) and shot the guard in the chest. The victim did kick the bucket as I recall. Never figured out whether it was an accident.

Another incident you might recall was when some marines were horsing around & one got run over by a 6X. The truck was backing up & didn't see him. Never heard whether he kicked the bucket or not, but expect he did as he was pretty well squished.

-Rocketman
    .................................................. Hey Rocketman How You Do'in?..............................Good to hear from you-The Incident I'm speaking of was when a Sargent was returning from Dog Patch in a jeep.When he unloaded his 45 cal-he pointed the weapon at the Captain's
    office door and the weapon discharged going through this Greek Marines Chest.He did not make it-at First Med.You remember HM3 Crowell-he and I used to visit you in your Black-lite hutch.Good times way back then.The MP that got shot was another incident I believe.The Marine that got run over I don't remember-maybe that happened after I was gone.Rocketman-your profile says you are retired-what kind of work did you do?Teacher maybe?-Computer Software Stuff?-you liked that technology stuff, if I remember right.So many years have gone by-yet I still remember a lot of stuff.Those bunkers were damp I remember.When rockets came in-which was often I remember-I first ran out to the bunkers-after I saw a steel reinforced bunker destroyed in a village at night-I didn't run to the bunker so fast.Hardly anyone went to the bunker when rockets came in.It was scary and exciting at the same time.Why was the food so bad?-All I remember is that piece of buffalo meat-disquised as roast-beef.Very hot soup-that no-one ate-I don't remember if we had milk or not.I only weighed 155 pounds in those days.Wish I weighed that now.Anyway Rocketman good talking to you again-Be Safe-Live Long-and Prosper...........roger out

Quote Originally Posted by rugerky View Post
    Lucky you.
    -------------------Hello SGT. Rugerky-It was Mi-that worked at the dental clinic and worked at the EM-Club.Kim was better looking than MI-and a nicer person.MI- always had an angle -Joe the new Dental-Tech-did not like MI-if I remember right.Kim was really cute and everyone loved her-plutonically of course;no-one could get that close.She was like a Mascot.I never got into the 4-5 Club-probably because I was an E-4.Don't even know where it is located on MWSG-17.Nice talking to you SGT RugekyBy the way,since you were an MP-Where was the tower located.Marines that were up there-were always fighting off rabid bats.Sometimes-they did get saliva or scratched or bitten from the bats.Dog Patch may have been easy for some to go to-but for most Marines and Corpsman it was off limits.One time I remember there were Marines-repelling from choppers in Dog Patch-there were people that were AWOL-Living There.These Marines - repelling were on a search mission for those deserted soldiers.Cant blame the Marines-There was Army living in Dog Patch also.This was a big sweep-planed and executed-by Marines.Do you recall this?Anyway Gotta go now.....Semper FI

Hello Doc Wilder,

You were talking about Kim at the e-club. Is that the one who was a dental assistant also? I remember Mi who worked at the 4-5 club. She was the best looking of all the girls who worked the clubs. I had th take chest x-rays of all the bar girls, It was a tough job. I had no gowns for them so they had to walk around the x-ray area with out there tops on.

got to go for now
    ......Hello HM1 Doc Jones-I think I answered-the MI-Kim-EM-Club-reference in a recent post.When WE-had to take an X-Ray on a Hutch-Mouse-or EM-Club Female-We used to give them a sheet-from the area
    where there were hospital -beds in the Dispensary-to wrap themselves up with.Maybe there were no-more sheets-when you were there.I remember that there were sandwiches and hard boiled eggs-if you were on Dispensary night duty.The sandwiches were awful-but the yokes of the hard boiled eggs were good.Did they still have that color T.V.there?-only got one station-AFVN.I think we used to listen to Hanoi Hanna-on the radio.How about that Corpsman-Jeffery Butler-he had to be there when you were there-unless he got sent to somewhere else.We were at Portsmith Naval Hospital-together-He came to MWSG-17-just as I was being sent to C-Battery.Had a short time to say Hello and Goodbye to him .He had to reenlist -He was too short in Navy Time-to Be at MWSG-17.I only had about 6 months-left in the Navy-by then-That's why I wanted to extend at MWSG-17.I didn't know I would get such a bad case of Mononucleosis.Had a little Encephalitis also-They wanted to shoot me up with steroids,and put me on an IV-if I refused to get food into my stomach.I was weighing about 148 pounds-at this point.I was told after -that by my physician-that about 5 or 6 people die a year from this type of Mono.No-Fun-took me over 3o years to heal my liver.The VA-only understands-Serosis of the liver-not Liver Diseases of the liver.To bad -they sucked at that time.I should have gotten 40 % for that Mono,not ten percent.They didn't do Sh*t for me.Idiots and Morons in Medicine at that time in the VA.Alcoholism is all they knew about the liver-and all they wanted to treat.That's why I Keep up with Medicine-The life you save as a Corpsman-might be your own.Me No Have Hard Feelings-To Much..........HM1 Jones-great hearing from you-Watch out for that-Radioactive-Waste in Nuclear Medicine.Best Wishes always-God Bless and be Safe............

Dear SGT Rugerky-just noticed your 1371 Mos-I have the greatest respect for Combat Engineers-my good Buddy Ciccone was a combat engineer in Vietnam.You guys make things-Blow-Up real Good.Very Nice-speaking to you-I wish my friend Ciccone-was here on Leatherneck-I lost track of him.Good guy- Great Marine-Don't know where he's at-I miss him.........Semper Fi

Hello Doc Wilder,

got to go for now
    ......Hello HM1 Doc Jones-I think I answered-the MI-Kim-EM-Club-reference in a recent post.When WE-had to take an X-Ray on a Hutch-Mouse-or EM-Club Female-We used to give them a sheet-from the area
    where there were hospital -beds in the Dispensary-to wrap themselves up with.Maybe there were no-more sheets-when you were there.I remember that there were sandwiches and hard boiled eggs-if you were on Dispensary night duty.The sandwiches were awful-but the yokes of the hard boiled eggs were good.Did they still have that color T.V.there?-only got one station-AFVN.I think we used to listen to Hanoi Hanna-on the radio.How about that Corpsman-Jeffery Butler-he had to be there when you were there-unless he got sent to somewhere else.We were at Portsmith Naval Hospital-together-He came to MWSG-17-just as I was being sent to C-Battery.Had a short time to say Hello and Goodbye to him .He had to reenlist -He was too short in Navy Time-to Be at MWSG-17.I only had about 6 months-left in the Navy-by then-That's why I wanted to extend at MWSG-17.I didn't know I would get such a bad case of Mononucleosis.Had a little Encephalitis also-They wanted to shoot me up with steroids,and put me on an IV-if I refused to get food into my stomach.I was weighing about 148 pounds-at this point.I was told after -that by my physician-that about 5 or 6 people die a year from this type of Mono.No-Fun-took me over 3o years to heal my liver.The VA-only understands-Serosis of the liver-not Liver Diseases of the liver.To bad -they sucked at that time.I should have gotten 40 % for that Mono,not ten percent.They didn't do Sh*t for me.Idiots and Morons in Medicine at that time in the VA.Alcoholism is all they knew about the liver-and all they wanted to treat.That's why I Keep up with Medicine-The life you save as a Corpsman-might be your own.Me No Have Hard Feelings-To Much..........HM1 Jones-great hearing from you-Watch out for that-Radioactive-Waste in Nuclear Medicine.Best Wishes always-God Bless and be Safe............

Doc Wilder,

You are a great guesser, software is exactly what I spent most of my time doing. I also invented some cool things, and one of them paid off really well. That's why I could retire at the ripe old age of 49. Of course I am a bit older than that now, but have been a committed goof-off for a long time now.

You have an amazing memory.

We did have 'milk', but it was what was called 'filled milk'. That meant that they took out the butterfat and replaced it with coconut milk. Supposed to be good for you, but nobody in their right mind would choose to buy that if it was offered at the store.

Regards,
    Rocketman

Quote Originally Posted by miked23 View Post
    Doc Wilder,

You are a great guesser, software is exactly what I spent most of my time doing. I also invented some cool things, and one of them paid off really well. That's why I could retire at the ripe old age of 49. Of course I am a bit older than that now, but have been a committed goof-off for a long time now.

You have an amazing memory.

We did have 'milk', but it was what was called 'filled milk'. That meant that they took out the butterfat and replaced it with coconut milk. Supposed to be good for you, but nobody in their right mind would choose to buy that if it was offered at the store.

Regards,
    Rocketman
    .........................Rocketman-I'M STILL UP-0508-Well I knew you would do something good with your life.You were just to smart for your own good-to be with those Data-Entry Marines-that thought they had it made;and they did.I was always a big milk drinker-but didn't like the milk at MWSG-17 for some reason.If there was chocolate milk -I guess I mixed it.Don't really remember-the milk-setup there.As for my memory-this brain-only remembers-Things from when I was in the service-I don't know why.Some things I should remember- I forget instantly-Strange life-Never thought I would be alive-"this far down the line"-Thanks Eagles-for that sentence.So I'm very grateful to still be here;but never knew what I wanted to do with this life.Music has always been very important to me-but I could never play more than a few chords on a guitar.I have instruments-wish I could play them .I love the electric bass but can only follow-Soul Music on it.Got a Roland Synthesizer-I make Gothic music-holding down one key at a time.My brother who is a musician-gave me-a electric bootleg Strat-which I love;but play poorly.I wish I could trade my knowledge of medicine-for the ability to play guitar.I have a nice-Ibenize-Bass.I never find any time to practice-The Bass I love the best.I love those Blues Bass Riffs-and the Reggae-Bass Lines.So I better stick to medicine-It's easier for me.I would like to spin tunes on the radio-I certainly have acquired-so much music-that I can barely move through my apartment.Retired at 49-thats pretty good-I didn't think I would live to retire.Being an x-ray tech is kinda like beng on a forced march.Now I see it's 0601-on the clock-so I think -I better get some-shut eye-before the sun comes up.Semper FI-Rocketman-God Bless Everyone on Leatherneck...

Hey Doc Wilder,

As far as musical instruments, the only one I ever learned to play was the record player.

In thinking back, I do remember the incident you wrote about earlier, where someone was shot through the captain's door. I had forgotten completely about that.

Some of your remarks to Doc Jones reminded me of something funny that happened the last time I was near your neck of the woods. In '99 one of my daughters and I were on an extended road trip (7 weeks). Sometime when we were in D.C. I got a bladder infection. Went to the Doc in a box, who gave me something for it and warned me it would turn my urine a bright neon color, but not to worry about it. Later I stopped at one of those gas station/fast food places in the middle of the freeway. The urinal was like a horse trough, running all along the wall. There was a guy 'downstream' from me. I waited until he saw the bright neon color running towards him, and when he looked up I said "I can't help, it's been that color ever since I took that job at the nuclear power plant". He left in a hurry.

One night my friend Andy (Rauman) took me to your hootch. I don't remember if it was your rack or not, but Andy put headphones on me & started playing the Beatles song "Number 9". It was the first time I had ever heard that album, and I was stoned at the time. The whole album really blew my mind, especially "Rocky Raccoon". Was that your tape machine?

You might remember Andy - Blond guy with a long mustache. That's how he got the name Rauman - Rau is Vietnamese for mustache. He and I spent some time working together in the wing post office. He was in ordinance and I was Avionics. If I remember correctly, he is the guy who introduced us.

At one point I was given mess duty, which we all hated, and I was determined to get kicked off of it. (didn't work). My first antic was when I was assigned to the chow line on the lifer side. As you may recall, I have a finger that was cut off as a child. One of my friends got a fake finger that looked like it was chopped off. I think he got it in Bangkok. Anyway, we were serving noodles with "beef gravy" on it, so I stuck the fake finger into someones noodles, and waited until they hit it with their fork. When I saw them react, I started jumping around with ketchup on my hand & the poor victim actually retched. That got me kicked off the chow line, but not off mess duty.

Thread Information