H&MS-17, 1st MAW, Danang 68-69 - Page 5
Create Post
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Hellow Doc Wilder,

I reported into MWSG-17 Medical as a HM-3 8404. I was not an X-Ray Tech. They didn't have an x-ray tech and asked if I new how to take X-rays. I said no but that i did know hove to use a darkroom. I was a photographer for my high school yeqr book. They handed me the books on X-ray and said you are now an X-Ray tech. Learn how to take x-rays. It was fun and yes I had to learn how to do CBC's, UA's gram stains and suture.

The Cheif at that time was HCM Hazelwood and the first class I think his name was Harney. There was a first class by the name of Jones in the sanitation department who was gay. I remember meeting him and when we shook hands he didn't want to let go of my hand.

The skinny guy about five feet tall with glasses, I can't remember his name either. There was Bill Rose, he was from Ohio. The marine driver's name was Azarello, not sure of the spelling.

I worked with EOD. That was fun. We took 45 tons of grade 3 ammo out around Charley Ridge and blew it up. what a sight. Had to spend the night with 3/1 at hill 37. Wouldn't you now that thats the night they had a sapper attach. The next morning afeter they sweept freedom road the said ok doc you can head back to Da Nang. I asked who was the lead truck and they said I was.

Was at Moffett Field after Nam. Worked Pharmacy for a while and then was in charge of the ER. That was fun. Saw a lot of patients. the Dr. would review the charts and sign off on them. They didn,t want to get up in the middle of the night.

Went to Bethesda in 1973 for Nuc Med School. Yes I inject all my patients, Start all the IV's and give all meds used in Nuclear Medicine. I have been doing Nuclear Cardiology for the past ten years. Myocardial Perfusions studies. I got tired of the hospital setting and the late night calls for emergencies. I will retire in January but will still work four days a month for my mad money.

Have a great day

HELLO Doc Jones-How are you?-Thank you for answering my questions-I forgot the hematacrite-the other day-This is the most important-test-For all those reading-This test shows how much blood is left in the body-The norm is from 38-to-48-Below-22-your in Critical-Condition.There was like a blue-book in x-ray-in the x-ray Dept.X-ray was a very small-area.I found it very interesting myself-and when I was sent to Bainbridge MA-there was this HM1-x-ray tech-and he didn't have his first four years in yet.I was impressed.He said the x-ray job isn't that good.At the time I ddidn't know about-contrast studies-Didn't mind the upper-GI's-but hated doing-barium enema's-I don't like anything dealing with feces-and or prostates.The Aortic Dissection Exam -in Ct is rather hard to do-That's what John Ritter-Tex's Boy died of.There is a double-contrast power injection-in this exam.The images are sent to this-3d-(voxel-Que)where the image is reconstructed in 3D-also in sagittal and coronal reconstruction.This is the hardest exam in CT-and the pressure is always on -the CT-tech.They can keep it-but it is a life and death visualization Exam.I have a friend named Louie-who reminds me of DocGreek-He's a Nuc Med Tech-He says it's the Nucleatoids-(radio-active Isotopes) that has made him feel-old.Nuc Med Tech's get the Highest Radiation-Counts-A lead apron-wont stop these penetrations of radiation.I hope you retire in good health.I never liked when a "Emitting" pt was sent to radiology-and 'WE"were not told.The Pt has to-hold their urine-for their-Nuc Med Exam-and they are in movie-terms about radiation-(HOT)-I did many Special -Procedure-X-rays.I also have quite a high radiation count-(Life-Time)-Thyroid collars-only came out about now-12-14 years ago.I have developed a Hypo-thyroid -condition-where I had to take a synthetic thyroid pill.Since I have not taken an x-ray for almost 8 years I have been cured..That's one less-VA-co-payment.That's the problem with MWSG-17.You can get picked as a Corpsman to go anywhere they want to send you...I have so-many stories about this.That's why I say MWSG-17 was a dangerous place.One Time My Friend-fellow Corpsman Emory Fain Lassiter came to visit me.He seemed nervous and he was a frontline Corpsman.....He said I'm not staying here-Too Dangerous-Too many Rocket Attacks. I found that quite strange-Most Marines that were at MWSG-17-never got out of the bed to go to the bunkers......I remember one time"ICE-Cube" got hit.This is where we got our liquid nitrogen from.I just realized this-they probably had the coldest-beer in Vietnam.I just thought of that now....There was a great deal of rabies-shots given at the dispensory-The company that made it was E-ly-lilly-there was a 13 shot-and a 21 shot-sub-que-tanious in the stomache....We also had a lot of furrison-burn 4X4's-for patients-that were burned on the Flight-Line....At that time-anything over 38 percent -burn on the body was probably fatal.Now a silver-furrison-is used and a pt can survive with over 80%-percent body burns......Iv'e seen some bad burns-as I'm sure you have.Anyway don't get scarred when you see my Signature-print......I was just fooling around and now I don't know how to find the thing that edits it.I'm going to change it to something else -I'm kind of comic-relief here-when I'm tired -I have a really warped sense of humor.....Got that from Nam-Always have asked DocGreek if I'm a little-to far out-and if I am -Please-tell me......I think he has a warped sense of humor also........It's really great to speak-to a Corpsman-from MWSG-17..Were you ever asked to join and fly Medivac Corpsman from Mag11.I didn't have the guts like DocGreek-has;but I did know Medi-Vac Corpsman-They are quite crazy -to say the least.I think a Medi-Vac-Corpsman is one of the bravest things a Corpsman can choose.They are something else.I met two of them at MWSG-17-they were visiting a Corpsman Friend.Let me tell ya-They had more hand guns than I ever saw anyone carry.Each one had about 5 or 6 hand guns on them.The Weapons they carried were sent from home...They were crazy-They kidnapped a few Vietnamese Girls-and raped them....I don't know if they were charged because they flew-Medi-Vac...They told me-They were always shooting NVA-that were trying to climb-aboard the Medi-vac chopper-from the back.They were "LIT"-which means-they liked that speed.Any way HM1-Jones-I have a picture of some Corpsman-somewhere of the Corpsman-that came after me-sent by little-Joe-another Corpsman at MWSG-17-I gotta change this signature-It's big and a little bizarre........Bye for now HM1 Jones-I got a story to tell you but not now.It concerns a Marine that locked on to me with his M16-one night as I was coming back from those-cold water showers----going back to the F8-hutch...Be Safe and God Bless-I love leatherneck-It makes me feel like I was 21 years old again....I'm just an extended adolescent-in my heart- I don't feel old at all-but I do feel a little older.....Bye From Holland-I have an Ip-Masker.

Oh-by the way HM1 Doc Jones-They have this soup in health-food stores-called Miso-It's Japanese-It takes radiation out of the body-you have to buy a GOOD BRAND-another thing it does is work as a natural-kelating-agent-that removes the plack from the arteries.The only bad thing about this miso-soup is that it is very high in salt content......ye again........

I was with E-Btry 1st LAAM Bn 1st Maw in 68-69

Wink

I was in H&MS-17 from Feb to July 1967 before I was transfered to MASS-2 on Comm Hill. While I was there, the Captain (I can't remember his name) had the idea of a special souvenir lighter to give the men when they left the outfit and asked me to see if I could find a source. I was able to contact Zippo and get the info on engraving a special logo design with the man's name and H&MS-17, 1st MAW. The logo was a cartoon eagle from the Marine emblem. He was running with a radio on his back, carrying the Globe & Anchor under one wing, and holding out a handset in "hand" of his other wing. It really looked cool. I kept my lighter for years, but lost it during one of my various transfers. Here are a couple of photos from my time in the outfit. I can't remember the names of the guys in the picture, can anyone help?

This picture was taken after the all-clear from the 1st rocket attack on the DaNang airstrip in Mar or April of '67. Most of the rockets overshot the strip and hit the village on the other side. A lot of damage and civilian casualties.

This is me in the hutch writing another letter home.

The guy-second from the left-He was still there-when I got To MWSG-17. He got a Unit Citation-Medal.He was some kind of-NCO -in the Dispensary .He might have got the ribbon for the triage-area-We Had behind the dispensory" I remember him-I don't think he was well liked. That Corpsman-reenlisted-and needed some boosting....Another guy looks familiar-but I don't remember -What he did there-.So you must remember "Vern" -he was a great suturer-Very Serous-from Pennsylvania -Corpsman-I don't see him in that picture.All I remember from the Corpsman Before me-was that they were SO-Eager-to leave-that they didn't give a Damn-about "US"-replacement Corpsman.One other thing I notice-Your Beds-Sucked.At F8-Each bed's mat trice was about 6 inches thick. Did You have weapons in your hutch.Was there a lot of friendly fire-shootings-when you were there? Did you see the 68 Tet offensive-when full jets of soldiers were being Blown up on the Flight Line.Did you ever see Viet Pow' s with hoods over their heads at MWSG-17.Did you know where they went?and what was done to em? That's it for now. Oh did you do sick call?Ever get Forced to work at First Med?-You Didn't have a Doctor Castle-there did you?When I first got there -After a while this Dr-Castle-had to be removed-because He refused to go-to get a Marine that got wounded or hurt.There was a ransom on his head by the Marines-that drop flairs.So He-left by-the skin of his teeth before-he would have been wasted. How's that?I see you have-a rifle there-that's no M14-What is that-and once again-Were you allowed to keep weapons in your hutch? Anyone could come into your hutch and shoot you dead at any time.All the 45 cals -were locked up at the Dispensary-To this Day I'm a very light Sleeper-If I'm sleeping and you speak to me now-I'll answer in my sleep.They, the Marines, took our weapons away for some reason.There were many Friendly Fire-shootings-thus Captain's Night was Created....Did you have That?

I was one of the electronic radio techs. Yes, we kept our weapons handy, empty, with a full magazine ready. That is an M14.

On that night, before the attack I was feeling very homesick and depressed. A couple of my buddies took me to the gee-dunk for a couple of beers. My money was no good and there was always another beer waiting. They were determined to cheer me up.

By the time we left I was totally wasted. Just before they poured me into my rack, I noted in my diary, "This would be a lousy time for the gooks to hit!" I shouldn't have written that!! About an hour later......eeeeeeeeeeeee...."INCOMING!!"

It took me less than a minute to jump into the bunker with my boots, helmet and rifle.... totally stone cold sober!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RadioTech View Post
    I was one of the electronic radio techs. Yes, we kept our weapons handy, empty, with a full magazine ready. That is an M14.

On that night, before the attack I was feeling very homesick and depressed. A couple of my buddies took me to the gee-dunk for a couple of beers. My money was no good and there was always another beer waiting. They were determined to cheer me up.

By the time we left I was totally wasted. Just before they poured me into my rack, I noted in my diary, "This would be a lousy time for the gooks to hit!" I shouldn't have written that!! About an hour later......eeeeeeeeeeeee...."INCOMING!!"

It took me less than a minute to jump into the bunker with my boots, helmet and rifle.... totally stone cold sober!!!
    That's a an M14?-It looks so small-I remember M14's -being longer and the stock being Wider ...To me that weapon looks like a 22 cal .......I'm not speaking of Marines on MWSG-17-OF course you had your weapons-Affirmative-Over......I'm talking Squid here-Did or Were You able to "Keep" weapons in your "Hutch"-Doc?-Over....................HMmmmmmmm.Did I tell you I've had a few Coors-Lites-You read WQhat I sail about Radioman-Your the Best-Doc-Do you know the Chief I'm speaking about..He was a Chief Navy Corpsman-He went to B-school for Lab Technology-He was always 80% proof-He was a mean-Mother-Trucker.He set up work at the dispensary -3&1/2 days On Work- 1/2 day off work-He was a bastard-Do you know whom I'm speaking of?.Did you give a lot of rabies-shots?-Did you ever go-to a Village-after it got attached?-Do you know the name-of the Battery-looking up-outside MWsG-17.I think it's C-batt.There are two-60's looking down-and the valley has lighting at night-pretty bright-I replaced a Corpsman there-Not a good place to-be-especially when it's being attacked. A week after I left-I heard it was over-run.......So I'm sure you had Fun there also-What you say-We go to the EM-Club-You Doc, Radioman,and me----Buy ya a few Buds-It's on me....Lets Have Joy that "WE"are still breathing-and still have a chance in this world .HUH RA-

Quote Originally Posted by HM3 Doc Wilder View Post
    The guy-second from the left-He was still there-when I got To MWSG-17. He got a Unit Citation-Medal.He was some kind of-NCO -in the Dispensary .He might have got the ribbon for the triage-area-We Had behind the dispensory" I remember him-I don't think he was well liked. That Corpsman-reenlisted-and needed some boosting....Another guy looks familiar-but I don't remember -What he did there-.So you must remember "Vern" -he was a great suturer-Very Serous-from Pennsylvania -Corpsman-I don't see him in that picture.All I remember from the Corpsman Before me-was that they were SO-Eager-to leave-that they didn't give a Damn-about "US"-replacement Corpsman.One other thing I notice-Your Beds-Sucked.At F8-Each bed's mat trice was about 6 inches thick. Did You have weapons in your hutch.Was there a lot of friendly fire-shootings-when you were there? Did you see the 68 Tet offensive-when full jets of soldiers were being Blown up on the Flight Line.Did you ever see Viet Pow' s with hoods over their heads at MWSG-17.Did you know where they went?and what was done to em? That's it for now. Oh did you do sick call?Ever get Forced to work at First Med?-You Didn't have a Doctor Castle-there did you?When I first got there -After a while this Dr-Castle-had to be removed-because He refused to go-to get a Marine that got wounded or hurt.There was a ransom on his head by the Marines-that drop flairs.So He-left by-the skin of his teeth before-he would have been wasted. How's that?see you have-a rifle there-that's no M14-What is that-and once again-Were you allowed to keep weapons in your hutch? Anyone could come into your hutch and shoot you dead at any time.All the 45 cals -were locked up at the Dispensary-To this Day I'm a very light Sleeper-If I'm sleeping and you speak to me now-I'll answer in my sleep.They, the Marines, took our weapons away for some reason.There were many Friendly Fire-shootings-thus Captain's Night was Created....Did you have That?
    Yep-that's an M14-alright-sorry-it's only been 45 years since I've seen one.I'm use To -a darker color stock-than you showed-also I'm only used to seeing the M14-with the magazine loaded .Also-don't be offended that I called you a squid-The Octopus that is shown in HAMS-17-has many tentacles to do -"many jobs".So if I call you a Squid-I'm thinking of that octopus-and being from the US-Navy.I'm a Squid Also...Radioman-forgive me for playing radioman-I was a little wasted on beer.I don't do much beer-but enough to be a little drunk.How many Corpsman/? had breakdowns-when you were at-MWSG-17 when you were there?...These things just happen.When I was at Camp Pen-all Marines-had to go to 2nd-ITR-before going to Nam.I believe this is where the M16-was introduced to them-when 14's were still in use.Maybe all Corpsman should have gone through 2nd ITR-also -I could skip the grenade training.some Marines get to go to the Philippians-for Jungle Training-Slide for Life-I would have liked to have taken that course.Semper FI-my Brothers

Staff-Sargent-Radio Tech-You look very-familiar to me-When I asked-about weapons-in the hutch-I thought I was speaking-to the" Doc"-Same when I saw you bunk-bed .All Marines-had weapons-at MWSG-17.It's just that I felt safer there-when we(Corpsman)were able to have weapons also.

It is possible-that Corpsman-could not have-weapons in their-hutches-because-MWSG-17,had a high incidence-of mental-breakdowns-among Corpsman there.6 out of 18-corpsman having breakdowns-is 1/3 of the Corpsman Group-So that maybe the reason.There was always-Friendly Fire-Shootings there.I always after the taking of our M16s-slept with one eye open.No-wonder I didn't get any sleep there-and got my Mononucleosis-I just Worked,Partied,and Worked some more.

One thing that I remember-about Kim-from the EM-Club is that seeing her in pants-showed that she had a fallen womb.This was like the best thing about her.All I could ever do was Drool............Semper Fi my Brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by BVD View Post
    I was with E-Btry 1st LAAM Bn 1st Maw in 68-69
    Hey BVD-don't feel-shut-out-I heard of your area-but don't -remember-it's location...............Give us more detail ............IS that the place with the rubber-underground-fuel tanks?-

Those Were Your Pictures S/Sgt Radio-Tech-There was no-Doc

Quote Originally Posted by HM3 Doc Wilder View Post
    Yep-that's an M14-alright-sorry-it's only been 45 years since I've seen one.I'm use To -a darker color stock-than you showed-also I'm only used to seeing the M14-with the magazine loaded .Also-don't be offended that I called you a squid-The Octopus that is shown in HAMS-17-has many tentacles to do -"many jobs".So if I call you a Squid-I'm thinking of that octopus-and being from the US-Navy.I'm a Squid Also...Radioman-forgive me for playing radioman-I was a little wasted on beer.I don't do much beer-but enough to be a little drunk.How many Corpsman/? had breakdowns-when you were at-MWSG-17 when you were there?...These things just happen.When I was at Camp Pen-all Marines-had to go to 2nd-ITR-before going to Nam.I believe this is where the M16-was introduced to them-when 14's were still in use.Maybe all Corpsman should have gone through 2nd ITR-also -I could skip the grenade training.some Marines get to go to the Philippians-for Jungle Training-Slide for Life-I would have liked to have taken that course.Semper FI-my Brothers
    -Dear S/Sgt Radio-Tech-I see there isn't a Corpsman here-Those are your pictures of Corpsman.So I was out of line -with the radio-thing.Sorry-SEE the third Corpsman-He looks a little up-tight and ready for anything-that's anxiety-and it shows.The last guy on the right-looks like he was in that -Brad Pitt-movie-Inglorious Bastards-playing a German.So just you and I will go o the EM-Club-Have a few Beers-maybe a few more-It's on me.We can look at Kim's pretty face and both Drool.bye for now S/Sgt Radio Tech-keep writing...Semper Fi and God Bless.

Mwsg-17

Hello Doc Wilder,

You were talking about Kim at the e-club. Is that the one who was a dental assistant also? I remember Mi who worked at the 4-5 club. She was the best looking of all the girls who worked the clubs. I had th take chest x-rays of all the bar girls, It was a tough job. I had no gowns for them so they had to walk around the x-ray area with out there tops on.

got to go for now

Thread Information