H&MS-17, 1st MAW, Danang 68-69 - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

MWSG-17 HAMS&Wers "HOME"

Hello my MWSG-17 brothers-I did respond to Rocketman-It was great hearing-from him.Do any of you remember going to MAG-16?They had a beautiful-beach front.We went there-not often-to play water polo and have those little steaks-given to us by The Air-Force.They would come-to our Dispensary-for medical-treatment-they preferred us-instead of the Air force-Corpsman.Did they really have a "Dairy-Queen" on the Air-Force side?I did eat in their chow hall once.They had a three piece silver-ware serving-setup,equal to a fine restaurants.All "We"had were those trays with a coat hanger-holding the knife,fork,and spoon.These utensils were made for giants-not humans .Red Beach,and China Beach-always had-Marines-unlocked and loaded.Always ready to fire,locked in on their targets-We were in front of these targets,swimming.I think they were Boat-People-and probably Vietcong..........
    No-Grannies Draws-with these Marines-They were Dead-Serious. Why would anyone want to swim at these places?
    Do any of you Grunts-remember-MED-Packs-Going out to villages-with Dr.Merjavy or Dr. Crash Johnson -to treat Vietnamese-Medically .You guys had the weapons-all we had were those pee-shooters-45cals.Pretty useless.We had two 16's in our hutch,and an ak-47-the real thing- not them sks-weapons-that are being pushed as ak's today.Pretty exciting walking through a village.It was just like being on patrol-even had a point man.Cool-One day We were in a 6-by-Help me out here Green Monster-I don't know the truck terminology .The Vietnam nurse-interpreter-Mrs.TOY-saw some thing in the road-before -We-got off the truck to enter the Village .It was a mine.Marine Engineers showed up-We split back to MWSG-17.We were told later that it was a dud.Then why the next day,was this village blown away.Cally-eat your heart out.I don't remember if "WE" went on any more -Med Pacs-or Med Path's-after that.I have to get off this because-when I write excessively-and accidentally hit the return-everything disappears.So I'm going to exit now-just to be safe-Bye for now-Hm3 Wilder-Roger out.

Maggies Draws-not Grannies Draws-I Think

Hello my MWSG-17 Brothers,It's probably Maggie's Draws-I don't remember what they call it on the firing -range.It's been awhile-I have the Mind and Reflexes-of an 0311-It's just in me.My body-may have aged a little-but my Spirit is no older than about twenty one years of age.My father -when he was 91 years of age-looked at me and said-"When Did I get Old"-He never felt old at any age.He lived to be 93 years old.He was in the Army in WW11. Do any of you remember the monsoons-Wow-I remember someone had a screen door from a hutch-and was standing on it-while a Marine drove this motor-cycle-pulling this screen door with a big strong rope.It was Screen Door-Water Skiing.At least when it rained we didn't get hit.That was a relief.I remember -Captains Night-Since all you guys had your weapons in your hutch-and could use them at anytime-It was decided to have a little Celebration at the EM-Club-called Captain's Night.This kept Marines from shooting each other a little less.I remember putting the beer can tabs on my finger-to see how many beers I drank.You Marines Were Always-Putting Beer on the table where the Corpsman sat.The beers kept piling up.Now I wasn't a big drinker compared to other Corpsman.My limit was 12 beers-My limit now is one 24 once-Coors-Beer,maybe once or twice a week.That's it.We had Bud-at the EM-Club.Bud doesn't taste the same today.I don't like it.I like Guinness-Beer-It's like a tonic-it will put lead in your pencil-Has iron-and is very good for pregnant woman.Not done in this county-but Ireland and England still do.How come there are not many people on this thread-or what ever they call it.I have a Question-Would You say That MWSG-17-was like being in the rear?or that all the fire fights-were outside the gate.I don't think it's like being in the rear.I treated plenty of people that shot each other.How about -this.One day I was on Duty with this guy -from Texas.HM2 Teddy Tucker-We didn't get along.I guess he-just didn't like people from New York.He was in My FMF-Marine Corpsman Training Class.I went to 1BN-28Mar-5Th-Marine Div-Teddy Tucker went to 2Bn-28Mar-5th Marine Div.When I got to MWSG-17-He was There also.SO-We were both in the Dispensary-waiting to do Patients-It's about 22: 20-All-of a sudden-WE hear Automatic Fire-right outside the Dispensary-Some bullets hit the tin-corrugated-roof area.Maybe even some shells entered the Dispensary-at a above the head level.Well-Teddy Tucker and me -We were behind some kind of desk.At the Dispensary- there were only 45cal pistols-but they were all chained up.Our legs were shaking like jello.I think after a while-some one took out this fool.Got his ass killed for nothing.Teddy Tucker and I were most relieved.Guess What?-Me and Teddy Tucker became the best of friends.He even tried to get me promoted.No-kidding-the Best Of Friends.I think he extended for 6-months.When I was Getting ready to leave on this Mount out-A new Corpsman Showed up-I knew him from the past.He Must have re-upped-His name is HM3 Jeffery Butler-a good guy .Do any of you remember him?-Well it's time to go again.I've been on Devil-Doc's-hanging out with Doc Greek.He's a Good Corpsman-that helps people > I don't know,-but I feel my welcome there is over.I wrote some letters-and there wasn't enough replies.This is Doc Greek's page-and I don't -probably belong there.This is where I belong-"Home"-At MWSG-17-where at the chow hall all you get is a camphor -rated -piece of Buffalo meat and a pink-malaria-pill. The white malaria pill turned out to be poison-don't you take it. Bye for now HM3 Wilder saying-That Pat Sajac-He was good on AFVN-What a Lucky Guy-His Wheel of Fortune-turned out pretty good.Get them mothers-Marines........................................... .........

Maggies Draws-not Grannies Draws-I Think

Hello my MWSG-17 Brothers,It's probably Maggie's Draws-I don't remember what they call it on the firing -range.It's been awhile-I have the Mind and Reflexes-of an 0311-It's just in me.My body-may have aged a little-but my Spirit is no older than about twenty one years of age.My father -when he was 91 years of age-looked at me and said-"When Did I get Old"-He never felt old at any age.He lived to be 93 years old.He was in the Army in WW11. Do any of you remember the monsoons-Wow-I remember someone had a screen door from a hutch-and was standing on it-while a Marine drove this motor-cycle-pulling this screen door with a big strong rope.It was Screen Door-Water Skiing.At least when it rained we didn't hit.That was a relief.I remember -Captains Night-Since all you guys had your weapons in your hutch-and could use them at anytime-It was decided to have a little Celebration at the EM-Club-called Captain's Night.This kept Marines from shooting each other a little less.I remember putting the beer can tabs on my finger-to see how many beers I drank.You Marines Were Always-Putting Beer on the table where the Corpsman sat.The beers kept piling up.Now I wasn't a big drinker compared to other Corpsman.My limit was 12 beers-My limit now is one 24 once-Coors-Beer,maybe once or twice a week.That's it.We had Bud-at the EM-Club.Bud doesn't taste the same today.I don't like it.I like Guinness-Beer-It's like a tonic-it will put lead in your pencil-Has iron-and is very good for pregnant woman.Not done in this county-but Ireland and England still do.How come there are not many people on this thread-or what ever they call it.I have a Question-Would You say That MWSG-17-was like being in the rear?or that all the fire fights-were outside the gate.I don't think it's like being in the rear.I treated plenty of people that shot each other.How about -this.One day I was on Duty with this guy -from Texas.HM2 Teddy Tucker-We didn't get along.I guess he-just didn't like people from New York.He was in My FMF-Marine Corpsman Training Class.I went to 1BN-28Mar-5Th-Marine Div-Teddy Tucker went to 2Bn-28Mar-5th Marine Div.When I got to MWSG-17-He was There also.SO-We were both in the Dispensary-waiting to do Patients-It's about 22: 20-All-of a sudden-WE hear Automatic Fire-right outside the Dispensary-Some bullets hit the tin-corrugated-roof area.Maybe even some shells entered the Dispensary-at a above the head level.Well-Teddy Tucker and me -We were behind some kind of desk.At the Dispensary- there were only 45cal pistols-but they were all chained up.Our legs were shaking like jello.I think after a while-some one took out this fool.Got his ass killed for nothing.Teddy Tucker and I were most relieved.Guess What?-Me and Teddy Tucker became the best of friends.He even tried to get me promoted.No-kidding-the Best Of Friends.I think he extended for 6-months.When I was Getting ready to leave on this Mount out-A new Corpsman Showed up-I knew him from the past.He Must have re-upped-His name is HM3 Jeffery Butler-a good guy .Do any of you remember him?-Well it's time to go again.I've been on Devil-Doc's-hanging out with Doc Greek.He's a Good Corpsman-that helps people > I don't know,-but I feel my welcome there is over.I wrote some letters-and there wasn't enough replies.This is Doc Greek's page-and I don't -probably belong there.This is where I belong-"Home"-At MWSG-17-where at the chow hall all you get is a camphor -rated -piece of Buffalo meat and a pink-malaria-pill. The white malaria pill turned out to be poison-don't you take it. Bye for now HM3 Wilder saying-That Pat Sajac-He was good on AFVN-What a Lucky Guy-His Wheel of Fortune-turned out pretty good.Get them mothers-Marines........................................... .........

SORRY FOR THE DUPLICATE----------Wilder-bye

Let me tell you -how proud I feel to be on Leatherneck .com-When I see the Marines here on Leatherneck.com-with all their ribbons and time they have put into the Corps-I know the Marines are the Best Fighting Force-in the Whole World.These Marines-have dedicated their lives to protect America-what greater Honor is there than to be a United States Marine?.....There is no-Greater Honor-Hm3-Roger-Out.

Andy Anderson clued me in to the Air Force chow hall when he & I were working at the Wing Post Office. Pretty soon the AF chow hall (fancy restaurant by our standards) started charging us - about 35 cents if I recall correctly, then quickly prevented Marines from eating there at all. Guess we either ate too much or some of us got rude (rude Marines? Perish the thought!).

Do-you remember-a Marine-named Broadhead-in MWSG-17-He really had a Big Head-One day he split his head wide open -I sutured him up-I think he asked for a bullet to bite on.I used to love to suture.

Rocket Man-Mike23-I sent out a friendship-request-Did you get it?-Hey are you Experienced?-I Am . Mr. Jimmy says-Semper Fi and forever goodnight........write me or call me....gotta talk........bye from the Bronx...........

Our Hutch F8-Got Hit-But the Rec Hall-Behind F8-Really Go Messed Up

Quote Originally Posted by miked23 View Post
    Hey Doc, I responded earlier via private message, it's me - Rocketman. I also have great memories of '17. I was on the H&MS side, but lived only a couple of hootches away from you. I don't know if you remember them, but a couple of friends from the 'glassine envelope society' popped up here. Big Al (Bert Kinyon), Rau man - (Andy Anderson) and Do-Right man (Doug - don't remember his last name, but like Bert he was in disbursing). I also remember Dr. Merjavy, and a funny incident involving him and my pet fly in the mess hall.

I also remember when one of the corpsman hootches got hit in a rocket attack. And of course you would need to be deeply into the throes of Alzheimers not to remember when the bomb dump went off.

Regards,
    Mike Dolan
    Hey Rocketman-I remember that night.The back of the f8-hutch right by my bed-got a little shrapnel-I still have a piece of it.Good thing I wasn't under my bed....I was in the Front of the f8 hutch-putting out my friend -HM3-Keith -who set himself on fire-when the rockets came in.Through him on the floor and made him roll.That was a close one.....After I left on the Mount out-When I was back in NY-I heard from HM3-Little Joe-that a hutch took a direct hit and every one in it was killed.I knew I should have extended-even with the Mono.I was needed and I wasn't there.This has bothered me -ever since.Sorry to say...Even to this day.........I got my own horrors and guilt to deal with. Semper Fi

The Rec Hall behind F8-lost a side of it's building-and the urinal by there got destroyed-that was a great urinal.Also tunnels to the air strip were found,right after-No one knew about them.The things that go on-right under your nose-like the Vietnamese that worked on MWSG-17-that turned out to be Vietcong.How nice.......

I was with MWSG-17 Medical Department, Aug. 1969 - August 1970. I was the X-Ray tech. Houch G-3

Hey Doc Jones-Great to hear Ya.......

I've been hoping that a corpsman from MWSG-17-would respond......How you Doing?When you say X-ray tech-do you mean that little room-that had silver bromide-all over the walls;that took about two-seconds to develope a film-in hand processing.The outer area had a x-ray tube-with some kind of KV and Mas settings.Then I was there also.I forgot the name of the chief or first class that came before I went up to C-Battery.You must know-"little Joe,Teddy Tucker and the last corpsman I menchened that came to MWSG-17-before I left.Pretty good Triage-wasn't it?.Before I left I believe "WE"-received a unit -citation-medal-but it's not on my DD214.The day I got there -there were ten marines in body bags in the triage area.Some Marine cook with ten years in the Corps,got some Orange-Sunshine Acid-and blew away ten Marines.That was my first day at MWSG-17 Dispensory.One guy he killed was only there for one day.I'm sure you have many interesting stories.I was in hutch-F8,the other Medical Hutch.Was DR.Merjavy and DR.Crash Johnson-still there when You got there.?.Now I feel at home-now that a Corpsman from MWSG-17 has responded.I'm not home right now-I'm upstate NY.My cousin gave birth to a baby girl on the 14th of August 2010.So I'm hanging out with my family.Be Back home on monday-and will be able to better communicate from my lab-top.I have been using DocGreek's tread to talk to everyone.There's not too many people from our time-answering to MWSG-17's tread.Did they still do Med-Vac's into villiages when You were there?I have to go-now.Breakfest is on the table.Doc Jones,it's great to hear from you.MWSG-17's Despensory was always busy.Speak to you soon......There's no better feeling than taking care of Marines.Semper FI-Roger Out.

Hello Doc Jones and Rocketman,I have a little time so here I am again.Was that your mos-X-ray tech?.Working X-ray at MWSG-17-taught me something about Radiology.I once radiographed a Vietnamese child that had a broken femur(upper thigh bone-largest bone in the body)My Film showed that.I then casted the child's leg with Dr.Merjavy.Good auto-claves at the Dispensory.The corpsman I forgot a few minutes go -was Jeffery Butler-a very funny Corpsman.Was Big Willy the Pharmist still there when you arrived.He trusted me with the Narcotics Keys when he went on R&R to Hawaii;to see his wife.I felt this was a great honor to be trusted with the keys.Only had 14000 afedimines in this locker;and lots of Morphine-Lots of Para-goric(opium-anti-diarreah-Medicine).Was Tommy Boy still there?A very good First Class Corpsman that was in charge when our original-Chief went Nuts-and had to be sent home.When I got there "HE"made us work three and a half days on and 1/2 day off.THat's the way it was when I got to MWSG-17.One day A Marine from the Bush was going to blow this Chief away in the Dispensory.The chief told him to take off his cover and have a seat-wait to be called.He pointed his 16 at the Chief and was going to do-Him.We Tackeled him and gave him-200 hundred MG's of Thorizen IM.The Chief was never the same after this..He gave us better working hours after that....Unfortunitly he gave out some morphine-to top-Marine NCO's and was aressested-as he should have been.He then went crazy and had to be taken away.Six Corpsman had Breakdowns at MWSG-17-including the one I replaced on C-Battery.So It was a little hairy at MWSG-17 because every-Marine had his weapon in his hutch.Was G3-Hutch behind the F-row.......Behind my hutch was a Rec-Hall that got hit and a wire-screen window barrel urinal-that was distroyed from a rocket attach.I have so-many things to ask you Doc Jones.Did you ever go to Graves-Registration ?Did you ever treat Air-Force.?Did you ever drop off some injured people at First Med and be forced to stay there and help out.?Did you ever Visit the "Repose"floating Navy Hospital.Those Corpsman were treated like slaves(ESCLAVOS) on the Repose.Eight hours on eight hours off.Plus they had to wear those ugly Navy-Whites-all the time.Rocketman is a Marine I was good friends with...Me and My best Corpsman friend there-Alen W. Crowell.He also had a breakdown and had to be Medivaced out.I'll tell you that story.....Rocket man probably remembers.......A Marine friend of our was working over time at the Captains Office-accross from the Dispensory.A Drunken Marine came back from Dog-Patch in a jeep.He,this Marine,unloaded his 45 cal hand gun....Instead of pointing it down at the ground-like he was taught-He pointed it right at the door of the office.The bullet went right through this Marines Chest.Doc Crowell and I and maybe Doc Little Joe-tried to patch him up.We Had Two-'Cracker-Box's Ambulances-that we used to use-to transport the injured-(usually wounded).I don't remember if I went to First Med-that night.This Marine that got shot only had twenty more days left in Nam.He was of Greek Origen-Sorry DocGreek.Any way at First Med -they open his chest-but could not save him.....Because My Friend-Doc Crowell was such a good friend of his;Doc Crowell lost it.He had to be Medivaced-also......There went my best Corpsman Friend in Nam.......I did not feel to good.......about packing up all his gear and sending it home...We shared the cost of the Variac to keep the current up to 50cycles at 110voltage.The lights were always going out.The sirens were always a little late....The Dispensrery had a double Bunker-that you could stand up in.I was in Contingincy Platoon-because in Reactionary Platoon you had to have a valid Millitary Drivers Licence-to belong to that Platoon.At that time I didn't know how to drive yet.I used to drive the Cracker-Box's around MWSG-17's compound.Never got higher than second gear.By the way I see you are a free member-Did you Get Hit?I know you were there when the Marine Hutch got a direct 122-rocket Hit.All the Marines got killed in that hutch.....I wanted to extend at MWSG-17 for another six months.I think Doc Teddy Tucker did.Read My other stuff.....Doc Jones-Rocketman is a good man-Do you know him?-That's about it for now.I know some things about MWSG-17 that I will never speak-of.This is Security of the highest level and no-one has the previlge to speak this secured Info.......Do You Know What I Mean?Just say Yes or NO.....................Lose Lips Sink Ships..............Speak to you All-Monday-maybe-probably in the night.CHOW...............

Hello Everyone,and "Good Morning"-Hello DocGreek,Rocketman,and HM1 Jones.Vietnam is a while back-Whatever was at MWSG-17 is gone now;therefore whatever happened there,stays there.....Nuclear Med Technologist-that's heavy-Good for you-I hear now it's very hard to obtain -the radio-isotopes for the exams.You gotta be real good in math-to be a Nuc Med Tech.Do-you inject ?Most probably yes....Watch that radiation count.I was going to ask if you did sick-call am,afternoon at MWSG-17?-Alot of work if you know what I mean.I once throw a pen at this Corpsman named Mccullip,Hit him right in the forehead-because I thought he was goofing off and not getting to sick-call fast enough.Bad idea-since he was a second degree black belt.Oh well,not to bright on my part-but he did get to work without killing me.Doc Jones-you probably knew HM2 Frailey,and HM2 Houey.I forgot that a bar was built -behind the Dispensory-A nice long bar-built by Marines.We had a large refrigerator-that HM2 Frailey-tried to clear some ice out of the freezer with a K-Bar.He punctured the freon-piping and almost got us all -poisoned one day.Very funny scene.Beer was kept there only.I think it was twenty cents a beer.You could only be there if you were not on duty at the Dispensory at night.If you were on duty at the Dispensory-at night;which meant you slept there.There was air-conditioning there.We got a color tv-and I saw the 'Moon Landing"on it.The t.v. came much later on -I don't know where it came from.I remember seeing-"The Wild,Wild West on it.I remember this now-The AK47-was stolen -all we had left at hutch f8-were the AK-47 bullets.One day the Hutch was searched by Marines -Locker search,and the 16's were taken.We couldn,t have weapons in our hutch.Marines had weapons because-they were always going out on patrol-or going to drop flairs-or something.They had weapons because there was always the threat that-the Air-Wing was going to be over-run.There wer tunnels found-to the Air-Strip,right behind the Rec-Hall.There was this fenced area that the grasses grew high.Never-mowed.The air-strip was not too far away-from our hutches.Damn-those jets were loud....After a while you got used to it.I once flunked a Marine Pilot-on his Flight Physical-Depth Perception Test.Not a good thing to do-But I was pretty much always by the book.This Officer-had a 20/40-visual on the test......I think a 20/10 was passing.He hated me-and went to MAG-11,where he was passed.I treated all Millitary staff the same.I didn't care about their rank.This is the reason why-A new Marine Captain came to be checked in at our Dispensory.He needed a shot -IM-So I gave it to-him-He fainted and fell on his chin and split it open-He needed about 16 5-O silk sutures.I wanted to do it-but I was told to split from the area.I treated him like an officer-instead of a regular Marine-and I was too slow to catch him.Never did that again-Ever.I treated everybody the same after that..........I was stupid there.Did some other stupid things also-but I'll tell you about that later on-If I'm still allowed on Leather-Neck site....Gotta go now-I'm invited to a barbeque at Donna's Brother's house....That's my cousin Gary's Feance'.His name is also Gary-and He was a Marine-Maybe I can get him to join Leather-Neck.Com.......It was my cousin's Gary's daughter that gave birth the other day.....Gotta go-I'm being Yelled at.......Semper Fi-My Brothers.....

Hello HM1 Doc Jones and Rocketman ,If that X-ray Department-had flouro-you would have been doing a lot of contrast-work.....So wasn't that good?-not doing that stuff I gotta ask you what kind of exams did you do?Did you have to work in other areas of the Dispensary also? We had a lab there-every Corpsman had to know how to do cbc's ,the differential.Urine analysis and microscopic.Had to know how to make a gram-stain slide-that shows the Clap.Was Mrs Toy still there-she had-good eyes-to see a mine in the road.Her Husband was some kind of officer in the Arvin.They probably were killed when the U.S. split from Nam...I learned how to suture from a Corpsman-named Vern-He sutured like a Swiss Clock Maker-He was the tour before I got there......He soon left-and I owe-whatever-suture skills I learned to him.I remember a Corpsman that got there before I left....He wasn't too tall-maybe 5 feet tall-and he was skinny and wore glasses.I don't know his name.....Getting very tired now-It's 05:37 in the Bronx-so I gotta go-I didn't sleep yet.....Take it easy Rocketman-Good night HM1 Jones

Thread Information