H&MS-17, 1st MAW, Danang 68-69 - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    I need to dig up & scan some of my pictures, I have some showing the smoke clouds, and others showing the damage to the H&MS 17 hangar and also the mess hall. I didn't fall down, but it was obviously damaged.

Mike,
    I look forward to seeing the pictures. As you entered the back of the mess hall there was a small room to your left, this was insulated with the foam packing that the flares came in, so that we could thaw out frozen meat in a more controlled temperature. The ceiling to this room collapsed, bringing down the flourescent light fixtures and the foam. The glass was imbedded in the meat and covered with styrafoam particles. The rest of the mess hall was largely untouched, some holes in the tin roof and some boards that had to be renailed.
    That night in the bunker, a buddy of mine and I were talking about making it to the next day. On 7/16/67, Cpl. Fred Thompson and I would both celebrate bidthdays, his 19th and my 20th. We used to hang out together and were referred to as Tom and Jerry. On the 16th we reported to work and found a huge birthday cake that the night bakers had made for us. You guessed it, it

it said, happy birthday tom and jerry. that was really cool. Fred extended for 6 months and went to Sydney austrailia. He married a gril from there and I believe he still lives there. Semper Fidelis, Jerr sorry for the broken message

how do you like that. One thread and buddies meet again. Ya gotta love leatherneck.

bootlace15 out

Razorback, I remember the foam flare packing material, some of the guys got hold of some & put it up in the hooches. Much cooler on the hot days. I also remember monsoon season, and it seemed like our living area would be flooded every couple of hours. I also remember the Air Force had two story barracks across the street from us, and considering the rockets I thought that was nuts. Don't recall them ever getting hit, but we were a couple of times. Nothing serious, just enough to get your heart started.

I uploaded an album and named it "Da Nang bomb dump going up", there are some interesting pictures of that memorable event.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Hey Burt remember me? Jimbo from Gubers! I hope that you and mama have the best of holidays. God bless ya bald headed you know what lol.

Semper Fi

Jim

Hay Jim! Sure do! The wife and I will be moving to Round Rock Tx. in January. Stop by! I'll sponser one!!

1st MAW Headquarters Squadron 1968-1969

Hi Noynik!
    My name is Ron Beaman. I live in Ft. Worth, Texas. I was with 1st MAW from Aug 68 to May 69. I worked in the Communications Center. Great to see the pics you posted. Brings to life my time from 40 years ago!
    Here some more pics you might know about but it has some postings you might want to follow up on.
    Hope to get an email from you sometime and maybe a phone conversation.
    Glad you made it home!
    Semper Fi!
    Ron

Ron Beaman
    1st MAW - Headquarters Squadron
    Aug 68 - May 69
    Teletype Operator - 1st MAW Comm Center
    ron.beaman@ipgtour.com
    Ft. Worth, TX

Looking for a Marine

Bruce Parten
    Was with 1st MAW 68-89
    I think he was from Jonesboro, AR but might have been from Texas.
    Worked in the wing comm center.
    Appreciate any help locating him.

Marine Free Member AlwaysWillBe's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    WOW!!!! I was in the Avionics shop of H&MS-17 from Dec. '67 to Jan. '69!!!!
    The squadron doesn't exist any more and I've lost touch with everyone.
    I was there before the water tower was built. Cold showers only at that time.
    And also the night the E-1, 2 & 3's used a truck to pull the old EM club down!!!!

Last edited by AlwaysWillBe; 04-08-09 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Hit the save button to fast.

H&ms-17

Was in H&MS-17 Flare Crew from Feb.69 to Jan.70.
    We all lived in the same coumpound.

Mac McGrath
    H&MS-17, H&MS-11
    DaNang, RVN 1969-1970

1967-1968

Hey--first time I found anything on H&MS-17..I guess we were just low rents compared to the hot shots on Marble Mountain..I left right after Tet (68)..I really remember the ammo dump going up..actually think it went off for about 3-4 days.
    I have really good memories of Major Wimmler (SP)...he flew one of our 34s.
    Also have memories of flying flares--trying to get some flight pay(do recall the lousy bologna sandwiches)..be glad to hear from you all...

I was in Group Supply at Mwsg-17 in Danang from 20 Sept 68- until 8 Oct 69
    for a while I was the gopher between Group supply and Avionics besides a myriad of other supply duties that e-4/e-5 did.
    April 30 1969- bomb dump went up..I remember the circles in the sky that would rapidly grow- once they were over us the sound wave would hit. it was strong enough to put out the candles we had in the bunkers..... I remember Sept 3 1969- I might be a few days off on these dates.... anyway hochimihn died and they lit up the skies for several nights...... january 69 I was in what they called the reactionary platoon that would muster ever time rockets or anything hostile developed...... they took us out in some factory where we were doing a search and destroy. a real gaggle#### - this was tet 69 - we had some gungho captain that would try to get us out in the rice patties and jungle and he succeeded several times. we were lucky so I am glad we did that........ whew - lots of memories...... I hadn't thought of for a long time. fshafer@hotmail.com

Thread Information