H&MS-17, 1st MAW, Danang 68-69 - Page 11
Create Post
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    I was in HAMS17 from Oct 68 to Dec 69I was there when the bomb dump et off my name is Ed Smith

I am looking for anyone who served with my father, Dick Ebbert, in the 1st MAW in Vietnam. He was there in 1968-69, but I don't know exact dates. He was from Oregon and was newly married with a baby boy born in November 1968. Unfortunately, he died in 2008 of lung cancer and never really talked about his military experience, although he proudly remained a Marine in spirit to his dying day. I would love to find someone who remembers him and served with him. Thanks so much! You can email me directly at odriscoll@msn.com

Kario - can you give any more information. 1st MAW was a big organization. Do you know what squadron he was in? What was his job? You are talking 45 years ago and some of us need a little more info to jog our memory. I hope you can find some of those memories..good luck.

William, Thank you for responding so quickly. I have a few photos he took, but none of them is great. I know he flew helicopters and there is one photo that is of a tent with a red sign that says (I think) MASS 1 DSC. I have a bunch of other photos of camps and helicopters (one sequence of shots with a bunch of guys from his group getting into a helicopter and the chopper taking off, and then the sight of a white streak in the air behind the chopper and the next shot is of the chopper engulfed in black smoke. It's pretty dramatic, but I found the photos after he died, so we never talked about them. I'll keep sleuthing, but my mom has dementia and is really confused about the stories, especially since he didn't really talk about Vietnam much. Thanks for your response, anyway.

I'm doing this for my dad and I love the usmc! I hope I have the info right that he gave me. His name is Timothy William Schoonover. This is what he gave me. He was with h&ms17, wers17, mwsg17 at the denang airbase! I'm sure all that means something to yall. If you think you know my dad please contact me. He is in rough spot mentally and would love someone to talk to. Thanks

Thread Information